Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fluids question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

Default Fluids question

What are the best fulids to put in the car Oil? tranny? etc........
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Fluids question

Me, Redline Oil in the engine, Redline "D4" in the 5 speed in my '05 GT. "Tufoil" from www.tufoil.com which was recommended to me by the machinist that built my last engine which is still running strong after 130k miles and some 13 sets of tires.

Others Mobil 1, which I run there motorcycle specific in my FJR1300, yet others "Royal Purple". Either way, take a look at the Tufoil. I have better than 300k miles experience with it, wouldn't go without. "Tufoil" people said not to even think of putting it in the engince till 5k miles. I did at 4.6k, and I run a 10% mix in the transmission.

ORIGINAL: Fireguy28

What are the best fulids to put in the car Oil? tranny? etc........
Old 12-12-2006, 01:15 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

I've been thinking of either Royal Purple or Q-Synthetic for the Motor. Any input on these two ??
Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Kenne Bell claims they saw a significant increase in HP after switching to Red Line in the engine, trans, and rear end. You can read their article here:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...gtTechTips.pdf

I did switch to Royal Purple Synchromax in my transmission (manual) and it did noticeably improve shifting and the feel of the shifter. I can't say that I gained any HP, but I am very happy with the smoothness of shifting.

I am also running Red Line oil in my rear end, which served to quiet a very minor whine I had sometimes.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:05 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I do not know about the best since it is a matter of opinion. But i run Mobil 1 in the Engine and Redline everywhere else a lubricant goes.

Richard
Old 12-12-2006, 07:54 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

I myself choose to go with the Valvoline Syn Power, i used to run valvoline in my other cars with no problems so i just stuck with it with this car as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:02 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

You are running Redline in the rearend? I haven't done that yet, would like to, but, haven't figured, or, spent much time figuring on how to "get it done". I think I've read that the rearend does not have a drain?

Could you tell me what you did to accomplish the mission? Did you need to buy new parts? Did you have to take that plate off fully, or just loosen it up to allow it to drain then simply tighten up again? Do you know what Torgue settings?

FYI, I ride a Yamaha FJR1300 with a rear differential, running Redline in it. I've heard it said on the FJR board that some have had the paint on their differentials "cooked" with Yamaha's lube. Others say their differentials feel cooler to the touch after synthetic install. My differential still looks brand new after some 15k miles of agressive nature riding.

PS, I'd be putting a 10% mix fo the "Tufoil" in my differential.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:52 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

You are running Redline in the rearend? I haven't done that yet, would like to, but, haven't figured, or, spent much time figuring on how to "get it done". I think I've read that the rearend does not have a drain?

Could you tell me what you did to accomplish the mission? Did you need to buy new parts? Did you have to take that plate off fully, or just loosen it up to allow it to drain then simply tighten up again? Do you know what Torgue settings?

FYI, I ride a Yamaha FJR1300 with a rear differential, running Redline in it. I've heard it said on the FJR board that some have had the paint on their differentials "cooked" with Yamaha's lube. Others say their differentials feel cooler to the touch after synthetic install. My differential still looks brand new after some 15k miles of agressive nature riding.

PS, I'd be putting a 10% mix fo the "Tufoil" in my differential.
The rear cover must be removed completely and then cleaned and resealed. There are two ways to do that one is with Black RTV the other is with a paper gasket. You can get either at any parts stores.

The ford rear end takes 75w140 Synthetic Gear oil and the factory stuff is way over priced and the Redline is a better oil and costs less.
I would not add anything to the fluid. I am not a fan of any type of oil addit9ive at all. Oils nowadays are so advanced there is no need for and additive and most do more harm than good.

Richard
Old 12-15-2006, 11:15 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

I been runnin' KANGAROO **** and SMASHED BANANAS.
NO matter, how many times this "topic" comes up.......... There ARE 1000 "different" answers............. So try Kangaroo ****, "mixed" with smashed bananas.
Could be as good as ..... Royal Purple, Redline, Lucas Oil, AMSOIL, whatever................ RUN the WTF you want.
JMO,.............. I just need to vent..
Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

I been runnin' KANGAROO **** and SMASHED BANANAS.
NO matter, how many times this "topic" comes up.......... There ARE 1000 "different" answers............. So try Kangaroo ****, "mixed" with smashed bananas.
Could be as good as ..... Royal Purple, Redline, Lucas Oil, AMSOIL, whatever................ RUN the WTF you want.
JMO,.............. I just need to vent..
Dude you seriously need to take a chill pill and relax. Or get laid. Sheesh!

Richard

Quick Reply: Fluids question