Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cost/Labor Rate for Trans removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Default Cost/Labor Rate for Trans removal

Couple of weeks ago I was installing a K-member brace and a set of torque limiters. Well following the provided instructions I torqued one of the provided bellhousing bolt to 85ft-lbs of torque...SNAP. I'm surprised the other bolt didn't snap knowing now that the stock bolts are only supposed to only be torqued to 33ft-lbs.

Well I tried using a drill and easyout to get the broken bolt out, no luck so now I'm looking at having to pull the tranny. How much should this cost from the dealer? I imagine they will charge the most. It is a manual. Hopefully the T-limiter manufacturer will help or completely foot the bill since their instructions were faulty. Thanks

-Tim
Old 12-12-2006, 05:56 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cost/Labor Rate for Trans removal

Expect labor to be in the 5-6 hour range at 80.00 dollars an hour. So 400-500 just in labor should do it. A warranty repair pays for 2.8 and warranty is usually almost half of customer pay hours.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Not quite as bad as i was expecting, but still costly esp around the holidays. And god knows how long they will take to get the bolt out.
Thanks
Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

You can do it yourself if you have some basic know how about cars with a couple of buddies. You will need 4 stands and 2 jacks. Did you contact powerhouse? If you followed the instructions which you did and you torqued to 85lbs which you did(and it is wrong because it is only req 32lbs) then who ever manuf. the parts is completely liable for the repair.

Att. Andrew
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
ebr
3rd Gear Member

Hey be sure to keep us posted on how it goes with the part manuf. I like to know who doesn't stand behind there stuff.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

You can do it yourself if you have some basic know how about cars with a couple of buddies. You will need 4 stands and 2 jacks. Did you contact powerhouse? If you followed the instructions which you did and you torqued to 85lbs which you did(and it is wrong because it is only req 32lbs) then who ever manuf. the parts is completely liable for the repair.

Att. Andrew
How similar is this to pulling the tranny in a new edge with a T-3650? If its not a task meant for god I might be able to find a couple of buddies that can help otherwise I'd rather take it to a shop since I've never pulled a tranny myself. I talked to CHE a couple of weeks ago before I went out of town on buisness. They said they would try to take care of me. I tried calling them today but only got the answering machine[].
Old 12-14-2006, 05:15 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

As long as there is a will and good buddies there is no difficult task, just stubborn ones every now and then. Most trannys are somewhat the same, so just lift the car up and put stands on all 4 corners and with 2 jacks just put them under the tranny and lift them until they are applying just a bit of pressure to the tranny so that they can get the weight of the tranny when there is only 1 bolt in or such. Just be sure the tranny is centered on the jacks and wont fall. The real tricky part is lowering the jacks in unison.

Att. Andrew
Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

What about the starter? I saw one on an 02 GT with a T-45. Looked like a major PITA. The reason why I won't run into this blind is so I don't end up breaking something out of ignorance, kinda similar to what happened with the bellhousing bolt in the first place. I would be more enthusiastic about doing it myself if this wasn't my only vehicle.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:02 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

A tranny R&R on the s197 is MUCH easier than it is on the New Edges. Even on the ground on stands, you should be able to do an in and out in 3 or 4 hours tops. The starter is not bad at all to get out.

Go for it!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

You guys are starting to make it sound easy. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I've just never done anything like this on a car before. I am an aircraft mechanic so I turn wrenches on a daily basis, I just like to know what I'm getting myself into before I go ripping apart my only means of 30K transportation. Are there any special tools required. Hell honestly its not the removal that worries me, I can take anything apart book or no book, its putting everything back together properly that worries me. Thanks for the motivation fellas, Just wish I had a manual for those WTF moments on the R&I .

Quick Reply: Cost/Labor Rate for Trans removal