Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got stage 3 comp cams!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:41 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just got stage 3 comp cams!

Conrats on the cams! I got 28 after the swap and then 10 more with the tuning for a total of 38 rwhp and 30+ more rwtq as CrazyAl mentioned. I too was very pleased. You wanna hear the cams really rumble, drop the idle. I have mine at 575 rpms. Mine is a standard though. Might be a little low for your auto.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:43 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

By the way, I am seeing anywhere from$1200 to $1600 for labor. If anyone in the Nashville area is interested, $1000 for the install by a Ford certified ASE master tech..
Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Would Stage 2 Cams work well with a turbo?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Interesting question, it seems they would because overlap wouldn't matter if it requires more pressure to turn the turbo than the forced induction pressure it creates (which it does of course due to friction) and you wouldn't lose boost through the exhaust. I don't see the point though because any forced induction has enough air pressure on the intake valves to fill the cylinder without needing the valves to stay open longer. It might make a small difference with really low boost (2-5psi), but with a badass turbo you'll be running 10psi+ and you just wouldn't need that overlap timing to improve compression at high rpms.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

So they wouldn't help much?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:17 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Right now i'm disappointed in my CompCams, also running the Stage3 from Brenspeed. My last resort is this christmas getting my headers installed with highflow cats. Both MusicCity and gibson have headers but i'm hoping that will fix my problem. When I put the pedal down right now there is now difference from when I didn't have them installed except a very minor difference at higher RPM's.

At this current point I wish I would have just gotten a blower, but hoping that I change my opinion after having ARH Longtubes installed w/ their catted x-pipe.

Thought I would give another opinion since not many people have these cams.

-Jeff
Old 12-13-2006, 05:22 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, it was a long winded answer that might not make sense if you know how cams work. No, a cam swap with a turbo setup wouldn't do anything unless you were running a very small amount of boost. But why the hell would you want to do a silly thing like that?!

If you don't know why you would change your cams in the first place, check out the following link. It explains how cams work in simplified terms:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

After that you can look up other fun stuff like "How plasma engines work". Mmmmmmm, an MGT with a plasma engine.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

Right now i'm disappointed in my CompCams, also running the Stage3 from Brenspeed. My last resort is this christmas getting my headers installed with highflow cats. Both MusicCity and gibson have headers but i'm hoping that will fix my problem. When I put the pedal down right now there is now difference from when I didn't have them installed except a very minor difference at higher RPM's.

At this current point I wish I would have just gotten a blower, but hoping that I change my opinion after having ARH Longtubes installed w/ their catted x-pipe.

-Jeff
That's not fun to hear [&:]. The better your car breathes, the more of a difference cams make. Brent recommends a 90mm+ CAI for stage 3 cams as a smaller intake such as a JLT may not supply quite enough air (he said it is a small difference). Long tubes should improve your exhaust cycle which will also help out significantly. By the way, cams are only supposed to have the biggest noticeable difference (other than the lope) in high RPM range.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:32 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

-Jeff
Jeff, L/T's should def make a difference. Do you happen to know what your total timing is in the higher rpm's and what your global advance in the tune is at?? These cams love aggresive timing. I am at 29 degrees total timing. They also don't like A/F fluxuations or a rich condition. You can lose as much as 8 hp with a slightly rich A/F. You may want to give your tuning some serious consideration as well.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

That's not fun to hear [&:]. The better your car breathes, the more of a difference cams make. Brent recommends a 90mm+ CAI for stage 3 cams as a smaller intake such as a JLT may not supply quite enough air (he said it is a small difference). Long tubes should improve your exhaust cycle which will also help out significantly. By the way, cams are only supposed to have the biggest noticeable difference (other than the lope) in high RPM range.

[/quote]

You are correct about the CAI. I am running an Airraid with the venturi tube removed. RWTD had to change my MAF mapping by like 80% due to the extra intake volume. Many CAI units are the stock diameter where the MAF goes in an attempt to avoid doing mapping value changes.

Quick Reply: Just got stage 3 comp cams!