Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Motor Mounts - Hard install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

Default Motor Mounts - Hard install?

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=199
Would I be albe to just use a jack to get these put in real quick? Or does it require actually lifting the motor? Please let me know how difficult this install job would be, thanks!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:11 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Motor Mounts - Hard install?

They're easy to install. A jack and a scrap of wood is all you need to lift up the engine. You only have to raise it a little bit to get the load off the mounts. Do one side at a time and it'll be easy as pie.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't say easy as pie, because there are a couple hard to reach places to get at the bolts. It will take a while. We couldn't jack the engine up high enough to get the mounts out, so we had to remove the brackets. Good luck, maybe it will go better for you.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:52 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

i also did my own install...
got the car off the ground on jackstands...
then took the wheels off my jack so it wouldnt slide...stacked up a bunch of wood planks, then used a 2x4 to lift the front of the engine on the block directly in front of the oil pan and behind the balancer...

I also had to take off the aluminum brackets on the side of the engine because i couldnt get the engine up high enough and didnt want to risk damaging something in the tranny/axle drivetrain because the engine was 3 or 4 inches higher than it should be...so just took the brackets off and it went fairly quickly...

the hardest part is getting the car lifted and the engine up high enough, then it's just 14 bolts on and off (4 on each brackets and 3 on each mount)...

DO IT...it's a great install....car feels soooo solid after that.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:21 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

They're easy to install. A jack and a scrap of wood is all you need to lift up the engine. You only have to raise it a little bit to get the load off the mounts. Do one side at a time and it'll be easy as pie.
I have to agree. There's lots of room to get at everything. Take your time, follow the instructions, and it'll take around an hour, hour and a half if you have the right tools. Only raise the motor as much as you need to remove the old mounts, the new ones are smaller and go in easy. I would recommend disconnecting the battery before starting the job, I didn't but I'd still recommend it, you have to be quite careful to avoid the hot starter cable.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

An impact and a 3ft extension will make short work of this install - along with the block of wood and a jack.