Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PIONEER AVIC Z1

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:37 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PIONEER AVIC Z1

Make sure they do the bypass so that you can have complete controls of the unit while driving. If they don't you'll have to put up the ebrake to type anything in, even if you have a passenger in the car.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:10 PM
giovani13
1st Gear Member

Which is the illumination wire? I don't have the Z1but do have an aftermarket radio with illumination which should dim with lights on. I can't seem to get it to work though.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:26 AM
Fireguy28
2nd Gear Member

ok so where do i get the bypass from??
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 AM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

Well, the illumination wire is a funny story. On the 05 Mustang it was in the radio harness. After investigating further it seems that it was removed or moved on the radio harness from 06 onwards. To solve that problem and I tapped into the illumination wire that goes into the button panel above the radio (TCS button, info button, etc). If you don't have those though, check for one in the harness that connects to the AC controls. Just unplug either harness and use a voltmeter to check for 0 volts when your headlights are off, and 12 volts when their on. When you find it, tap into it. Voila, instant illumination wire.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

Here is the site, I did it on mine and it works flawlessly. Scroll down and you'll see the bypass. Depending on when your Z1 was manufactured you'll have to use a different bypass. The manufacture date is on the side of the box and what I did is print up the bypass instructions on which wire to ground and my installer did it with no prob. If you have any problems ask somebody on the www.Avic411.com forum and they can give you all you need.

http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 AM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

Buy this bypass circuit. Works 100% everytime. Some people will tell you to ground the e-brake wire so it thinks it's always in park. Doesn't work. Once you get over 5-15 mph the gyro sensor realizes your driving and disables the controls. There's no way to disable the gyro sensor either, not that you'd want to because it would make the system a whole lot less accurate.

http://www.sminntech.com/

Also, if you have the Shaker system installed (either 500 or 1000) you'll want to buy his filter circuit too to prevent them from popping everytime you start the car. It's a long explanation, but it has to do with the amps and how the Z1 is built.

Finally, there's a great forum for Z1 owners (and actually all of the Pioneer nav systems) at http://www.avic411.com. You'll find a lot of info as to what people have tried to bypass. It also will give you a good idea of it's limitations/stengths/weaknesses/etc.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:53 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kindred169

Buy this bypass circuit. Works 100% everytime. Some people will tell you to ground the e-brake wire so it thinks it's always in park. Doesn't work. Once you get over 5-15 mph the gyro sensor realizes your driving and disables the controls. There's no way to disable the gyro sensor either, not that you'd want to because it would make the system a whole lot less accurate.

http://www.sminntech.com/

Also, if you have the Shaker system installed (either 500 or 1000) you'll want to buy his filter circuit too to prevent them from popping everytime you start the car. It's a long explanation, but it has to do with the amps and how the Z1 is built.

Finally, there's a great forum for Z1 owners (and actually all of the Pioneer nav systems) at http://www.avic411.com. You'll find a lot of info as to what people have tried to bypass. It also will give you a good idea of it's limitations/stengths/weaknesses/etc.
It all depends on when the Z1 was made, as Ducatiboy says on the www.Avic411.com forum if your system was made IN OR AFTER JULY 06, THE FLASHER WILL NOT WORK. So check to see when it was made. Mine was made in July and I did NOT buy the flasher, I grounded the ebrake wire and it works AT ALL SPEEDS. I've had it since this summer and I watch DVD's while the car is in motion, and can do EVERYTHING AT ALL SPEEDS.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:00 AM
kindred169
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, sorry about that. I just thought of it and was coming back to make mention of the whole "when was your unit built" thing. My statement still holds true though, don't have them ground the e-brake. Ground the e-brake sensor wire on the Z1. In any case, Ducatiboy explains the procedure pretty damn well on his website (sminntech). My Circuit City failed to hook that up right too, but the instructions are so damn easy I just cracked her open when I got home and fixed all of their screw ups.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kindred169

Yeah, sorry about that. I just thought of it and was coming back to make mention of the whole "when was your unit built" thing. My statement still holds true though, don't have them ground the e-brake. Ground the e-brake sensor wire on the Z1. In any case, Ducatiboy explains the procedure pretty damn well on his website (sminntech). My Circuit City failed to hook that up right too, but the instructions are so damn easy I just cracked her open when I got home and fixed all of their screw ups.
Agreed[8D]
Old 12-22-2006, 12:08 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Anybody here use or know of any other navigation systems that look as good as the Z1 and have DVD capabilities for a better price? I just can't but two grand into a new head unit, it's a little too pricey for something that doesn't make me go faster.

-Jeff

Quick Reply: PIONEER AVIC Z1