Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N AIRCHARGER QUESTION******

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:48 AM
DAVE06GT
1st Gear Member

Default K&N AIRCHARGER QUESTION******

ok, im goin to get a cold air intake, but i dnt want one that requires buying a flash tuner like a slp or diablosport.so my question is, if i buy the aircharger from k&n and run it without a tune, will there be NO PROBLEMS CONCERNING THE COMPUTER OR NOT?and , once again, sorry if this has been discussed a billion times-
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: K&N AIRCHARGER QUESTION******

No, the aircharger is a tuneless CAI, it adds about 10 RWHP without the tuner...

If you want more performacne gains from a tuneless cai get a Granatelli Motor Sports CAI, it adds about 25 RWHP!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:19 AM
DAVE06GT
1st Gear Member

25?dang-and it's also a tuneless intake?well, how much will a granatelli run me and where is the place to buy one from?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: DAVE06GT

25?dang-and it's also a tuneless intake?well, how much will a granatelli run me and where is the place to buy one from?
350 I think.

Most of our sponsors have 'em... Lethal, dagostino, etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Thats ok, it a good question. Its a question that is constantly in debate. Before I purchased my CAI, I did alot of research. I read too many articles that said if anything was added or modified on our cars that made any noticeable power gain, there should be some sort of tuning involved. From what I read, just adding a free flowing airfilter can lean the car out a bit too much. My advice would be to do a bit more research before you decide, but not on here. Go to Mustang Magazine websites and find articles that include information from top tuners in the country. There you will find more facts. Dont get me wrong, this a great website, but all too often, youll just find opinions.......of course, you'll find a handful of mine as well. LOL

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

In the world of tuneless intakes there are two different kinds:

There's the K&N type, which are simply some tubing and the filter. These are worth a pretty small HP gain. Keep in mind that the whole reason why a CAI adds HP is becasue of fueling. The CAI allows extra air into the engine...but the air itself does nothing. The air allows you to burn a little more gas. And THAT is where the HP comes from. A tune-less CAI like this can't add extra gas, so the performance is limited, and there is always the danger of running lean.

The other kind, like the Granatelli, include a different MAF sensor, which has a non-standard calibration. This feature tricks the engine into adding the extra fuel,similar to what would happen if you have a tune. I think 25 HP is a bit much for a Granatelli, but I have seen 18 on the Dnyo. In any case, these are definatley better than the K&N type.

Of course, a CAI + a tuner is the best option. This is becasuea CAI+Tuner will make more HP thaneither type of CAI that I described above--AND a tuner can work with many other adjustments on the car. Atuner can not only change fueling, but it can also alter ignition and the drive-by-wire throttle settings which are things that a CAI can never do--even a "fancy" one like the Granatelli. Also, a tuner can adjust your shift points if you have an automatic transmission, whichamajor performance upgrade. And finally, if you are planning on doing other mods down the road, a tuner is a must-have. Tuners can be used not just for their primary function, but also to read and clear diagnostic codes, to correct your speeometer if you change gears or tires, to alter your idle speed settings, when your fans turn on and off, and of course a tuner is needed for many popular mods.

My advice: If you are planning on doing only very light mods and price is a major concern, then get the Granatelli CAI.

On the other hand, if you are planning on doing more mods down the road, or if price is not that big of a concern, make your first mod a Tuner + CAI combo. Get the kit from one of the big tuner shops like Brenspeed, Evolution, ,or B amachips. These guys are experts that will set you up with a custom tune for your needs (not a generic one-size-fits-all tune). You will be making more HP than any othe other options, and you will have a very solid foundation for future work.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
BrazoriaStang
1st Gear Member

How much gas mileage are you guys losing with the air intake and tune?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 PM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

losing??? I've gained mpg. About 1 to 2 mpg in city, and I dont drive on the highway much so I cant say there.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Yup, gained a mile or two per gallon when I put a CAI and tune on my Marauder as well. Of course I gave that MPG improvement up when I put the 4.10 gears in it. I'm hoping to see some MPG improvement on my Mustang when I get my C&L intake and XCal2 tune next week.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

It would be a waste of money to just have a CAI. We all want a little more power, these cars feel slow very quickly once you get used to them. A handheld tuner (sct) is a must-have if you have one of these cars. CrazyAl more or less covered the bases already so there is no point in continuing this.

A little food for thought is that if you buy a $300-400 Intake, later down the road you are going to want either more power, or more mods, and realize that you need a tuner. Now you're looking at another $300-500 with a tuner + tunes. Where as you could have been saving a lot of money by spending $600-675 on an Intake tuner combo.

Your money, your car, you decide.

Quick Reply: K&N AIRCHARGER QUESTION******