Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Straight Thru vs X or H???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:58 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Default Straight Thru vs X or H???

Hey everyone, I'm a newb here and wanted opinions on a exhaust setup. I have a 06 GT and just bought a Pypes axleback from Americanmuscle. $210 shipped and I love the sound. But like all other stangers I still want more. Now I've read the debates about H vs X pipes. I like both but cannot affort the catted H. I say catted because I don't want to fiddle with emissions testing at any point. So I've heard the catted X pipes too, like it for the price but a little too loud. So here is my question....

Has anyone removed their H section on the stock midpipe and replaced it with a straight thru pipe, retaining 2/3 of the stock pipe and factory cats? If so what difference is there in sound, in any? Another question, has anyone installed the X pipe kit from FordRacing, the one that just replaces the H section of the stock mid pipe? My imagination says it would change the exhaust note, obvisouly, but wouldn't be as loud or raspy as a high flow X or OR X.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Straight Thru vs X or H???

Going straight pipe would decrease your power. The sound would be ... different. Not sure if that means bad or good. The connection between pipes, whether X or H is to merge the tones coming from each side of the engine. I'm no expert, but I imagine it has something to do with the flow as well. Improves flow by preventing back pressure to return, or maybe it gives the engine a little back pressure because it needs a little resistance to help push it out stronger.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:27 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. Seems to me the folks at MRT told me that once before. So my other thought might be the X kit. I don't want too loud but one would think it would certainly change the exhaust note.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:07 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

X will give most power, H is more for sound..

Straight Pipes will kill power
Old 12-31-2006, 04:02 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

I agree 100% but I got to imagine somebody has tried this before, the X kit. I'm just curious how different it would sound from a factory cattedH to a factory catted X.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

The x-pipe from ford racing is not loud at all. It is whats on the GT-H which I have rented before. I love the sound of the GT-H, but it is definately not loud.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

the gt500 has a stock x pipe
Old 12-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Pypes x pipe with no cats = 8 rearhorsepower
Kooks Headers with cats = 15 rearhorsepower

Difference in price over thousand dollars, however Kooks is street legal.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:00 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Actually no Long Tube header for the S197 is Legal.. While they will pass a sniff test with cats they don't have a carb cert and if a visual inspection is done they can fail you, if they wanted to.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsopCould you explain the carb certification please?

Actually no Long Tube header for the S197 is Legal.. While they will pass a sniff test with cats they don't have a carb cert and if a visual inspection is done they can fail you, if they wanted to.

Quick Reply: Straight Thru vs X or H???