Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Laptop mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:54 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default Laptop mount

I have used my laptop with a GPS antenna and map software for several years now when we go for a drive to unfamiliar places. I had a bench seat in my old car, so I just put it on the seat. But with the console in my '07 GT, that won't work. Best thing I can come up with is to make some kind of plywood thing that will fit over the console that the laptop will sit on - maybe cover it with black felt. But it will be hard to make it so it doesn't interefere with A/C vents, gear shift, the radio, and A/C controls. [&:]

Anybody doing this, or have any good ideas how to do it? Can't sit it in the right seat, BTW, because that's where my wife sits.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:29 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Laptop mount

Problem with most prebuilt pedistal mounts is most mounts like that are gonna bolt through the floor board and take up alot of leg room for any passengers, really you are not gonna have much space, just tell the wife to suck it up and put it on her lap =P

There isnt alot of room to put it on the center console if you have 2 people in the car since you start to give up arm space at that point. Why not just invest aa bit into a little Garmin or TomTom? Then you can mount it in your field of view on the windshield.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:47 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

I have used my laptop with a GPS antenna and map software for several years now when we go for a drive to unfamiliar places. I had a bench seat in my old car, so I just put it on the seat. But with the console in my '07 GT, that won't work. Best thing I can come up with is to make some kind of plywood thing that will fit over the console that the laptop will sit on - maybe cover it with black felt. But it will be hard to make it so it doesn't interefere with A/C vents, gear shift, the radio, and A/C controls. [&:]

Anybody doing this, or have any good ideas how to do it? Can't sit it in the right seat, BTW, because that's where my wife sits.
There is no room in a mustang for a laptop except your wife's lap. The interior is just too cramped. I know this wasn't part of your question but the center of the mustang dash is a great place for a gps unit that doesn't require a laptop. Unfortunately they're not cheap.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GT

There is no room in a mustang for a laptop except your wife's lap. The interior is just too cramped. I know this wasn't part of your question but the center of the mustang dash is a great place for a gps unit that doesn't require a laptop. Unfortunately they're not cheap.
Yes there is room.....but I did it differently. My laptop is mounted in the trunk and connected to a 7" touchscreen monitor in the dash.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26672/8230C96437D642ED80B902DAB1D88D80.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26672/6303E4042850401084842D0C58455FEF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Very cool!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:36 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

lol I got a new Mac Mini I am going to be hooking up to mine as soon as I stop being lazy and make the ount for the rear deck. Yea I too am a geek....
Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

I had thought about the stand alone GPS units, but I don't want to do that because they're expensive, and they're not as good as my laptop. I have voice command, for one thing. The screen's not very big on those things, for another. I have a 15" screen on the laptop that runs1280 X 800.

Okay, that leaves me with the wife's lap. (BTW, I won't repeat what she said when I told her to "suck it up". LOL) But that got me to thinking. Sitting with a laptop in your lap for hours isn't pleasant, expecially since I have a heavy 1.8 GHz dual processor desktop replacement. But what if I could put it just above her lap? I took a wooden TV tray thing and tried to modify it so it would fit, but that didn't work out. Then I built a "thing" out of plywood. Flat piece of 1/4" plywood on the floor connected to another piece that goes vertical beside the console, connected to a horizontal piece that will hold the laptop. Ugly, but functional. I'll paint it flat black and / or cover it with black felt. We also have a beanbag type lap tray that we may try, too, if that doesn't work out. That would at least keep the heat of the laptop out of her lap.

That monitor in the dash looks cool, but I don't want to give up the radio that I just paid big bucks for. It's the Shaker 500 that some of you don't like, but it meets my needs.

I'm a geek, too, BTW. I'm an embedded software engineer for Fluke Electronics - the yellow voltmeter people.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:25 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

I had thought about the stand alone GPS units, but I don't want to do that because they're expensive, and they're not as good as my laptop. I have voice command, for one thing. The screen's not very big on those things, for another. I have a 15" screen on the laptop that runs1280 X 800.

Okay, that leaves me with the wife's lap. (BTW, I won't repeat what she said when I told her to "suck it up". LOL) But that got me to thinking. Sitting with a laptop in your lap for hours isn't pleasant, expecially since I have a heavy 1.8 GHz dual processor desktop replacement. But what if I could put it just above her lap? I took a wooden TV tray thing and tried to modify it so it would fit, but that didn't work out. Then I built a "thing" out of plywood. Flat piece of 1/4" plywood on the floor connected to another piece that goes vertical beside the console, connected to a horizontal piece that will hold the laptop. Ugly, but functional. I'll paint it flat black and / or cover it with black felt. We also have a beanbag type lap tray that we may try, too, if that doesn't work out. That would at least keep the heat of the laptop out of her lap.

That monitor in the dash looks cool, but I don't want to give up the radio that I just paid big bucks for. It's the Shaker 500 that some of you don't like, but it meets my needs.

I'm a geek, too, BTW. I'm an embedded software engineer for Fluke Electronics - the yellow voltmeter people.
Well you really dont need to make anything for that idea, you can spend about $20-50 and buy any one of a variety of mobile laptop desks and coolers which would take care of some of the comfort and a large portion of the heat. I don't know if you want it off her lap all together or if you are just worried about the weight and heat. Of course you could build it to connect to the bottom of the passenger side dash and brace it to the firewall, then make a tray similar to the slideout keyboard trays on desks that the laptop could sit on. When the laptop is not there the shelf would be hidden under the dash, but it would be hi enough to be ok for a passenger. The catch would be there would be no glove box access while the try is out but it would work. Then you could get an extra power cord and run it with the tray and connect it behind the dash directly to the car so you would alwys have power ready too.

Yea yea I have spent a bit of time thinking about this today.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Setup the laptop in the trunk or rear seat.
Setup a mini projector system (rear seat)
Project the image onto a small portable white screen, located near the shaker
-
ok the idea may suck, but i tried lol

Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Actually I didn't give up the shaker500. The HU is mounted behind the screen. The only thing I lose is the 6 disk changer, but all of my cds are burnt onto the laptop, which plays the music through the car stereo.

Quick Reply: Laptop mount