Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock Clutch vs. Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock Clutch vs. Whipple

Will the stock clutch be able to handle 450-475 rwhp? Besides clutch and some lca's, what are a few other mods that one might make to go along with the whipple?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stock Clutch vs. Whipple

No way, the stock clutch is rated at 350 ft-lb of torque. It will have a very short lifetime with a S/C.

You will need a new clutch. I suggest the Spec Stage 3+. It can handle much more power, and it is very streetable.

The LCAs are going to be MANDATORY with that kind of power. I would also do your UCA, UCA mount, panhard bar, panhard brace, LCA relocation brackets, and a stiffer rear sway bar. You will also need some grippy tires. That kind of HP is useless unless you can put it to the pavement.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'd probably do some of those suspension mods, but I'm not planning on doing autocross or anything, so I won't be needing all that stuff.

As far as the clutch goes, how easy is the install. I plan on doing my own supercharger install, and I have a fairly good mechanical mind, but I've never done a clutch. On a scale of 1-10, how hard is the clutch install? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I have yet to do a clutch install on these cars. However, I have done clutches on various other cars. I don't see this one as being particularly difficult. If you feel comfortable doing your own S/C install, then should be able to do this too.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:24 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Hardest part is gettin to all the transmission bolts and stabbing it back in after the clutch replacement but on a scale of 1-10 i would say 6.5.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:09 PM
tcoope13
1st Gear Member

Spoken by someone without a supercharger. My stock clutch is holding up just fine, maybe it may go sooner than it would otherwise, but it still works great. When it wears out then I'll replace it. Most s/c'd 05+ stangs dont run new clutches. I don't have LCA or anything and am still running stock rubber. It spins pretty bad all the way through second and sometimes third if i powershift. So suspension and tires would help a ton im sure, but if you dont have the cash to do it all at once you dont have to.

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

No way, the stock clutch is rated at 350 ft-lb of torque. It will have a very short lifetime with a S/C.

You will need a new clutch. I suggest the Spec Stage 3+. It can handle much more power, and it is very streetable.

The LCAs are going to be MANDATORY with that kind of power. I would also do your UCA, UCA mount, panhard bar, panhard brace, LCA relocation brackets, and a stiffer rear sway bar. You will also need some grippy tires. That kind of HP is useless unless you can put it to the pavement.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:12 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Well, of course you don't HAVE to do anything. However, in my opinion it makes very little sense to spend the money on a supercharger (and the install)without laying a proper foundation down first. What is the point of having all that extra HP if you can't get traction? I have beaten S/C cars--including a GT500--at the strip with my N/A Mustang simply becasue I got traction and they didn't. One of these guys was trash talking before we ran about how he was going to kill me due to all the extra horsepower. Guys with dyno queens can brag all day long about what their numbers are. Whatever. Let's see the car run on the strip or a roadcourse and then we'll see what the car can do. I am not a particularly skilled driver. I don't have hundreds of quarter-mile passes under my belt. But I do know that if you're spinning wheels you're just wasting your power.

As for running a new clutch on a S/C car, sure, you don't have to replace it. You don't HAVE to upgrade your fuelsystem either. But your stock clutch won't last long if you drive hard. The Ford manual clearly states the rated capacity of the clutch....and now you arethrowing significantly more power at it. Unless you drive like grandma, your clutch istaking a beating. And what is the point of installing a supercharger if you're not going to put your foot in it. Ask the guys over at m odularfords (there are many members with FI) how many of them are running the stock clutch with their S/C.

And you're right, I don't have a S/C on my Mustang. The 'stang isn't ready for a S/C yet.I havea 6-71 blower onmy 4x4 and I have installed a few others over the years.

In my opinion you should go for the supporting mods first. I can't afford to drop in a S/C, clutch, suspension, and everything all at once either. But I have my suspension,exhaust, and rear endunder control. I will be upgrading my clutch and transmission. And then, when it's ready, the S/C will go on.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Well put Al. Gotta build from the ground up since tires are the only part of the car that touch the ground.(unless your scraping your L/Ts)
Old 01-07-2007, 05:45 PM
zcat
2nd Gear Member

It really all depends on your intended use. I have a Whipple and over 450 RWHP on a stock clutc for 4 months now. I'm not a drag racer and don't plan any (maybe 1 time ) big time strip exhibitions. I like the power out here on the street and have had a blast playing around. I do have some suspension work and upgraded brakes, but my suspension mods were more street oriented androadracing inspired for the curves here in Tennessee. You'll be fine with that stock clutch for awhile and if it starts slipping then you can upgrade it,but you better have an upgraded fuel pump on that bad boy from day 1. Nothing wrong with building your car for your own purposes be it for dyno bragging rights or whatever, just don't make the mistake of challanging someone like CrazyAl with any trashtalking if your not prepared to back it up[8D]
Old 01-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Fast Toys
Banned

We'd recommend a spec stage 3 as well. There is no way a stock clutch will hold up. If you need pricing, we offer discounts to Mustang Forum members. Just email us for a price and indicate you are a forum member.

Quick Reply: Stock Clutch vs. Whipple