Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

$5000

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:34 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: $5000

I can get the Powerdyne with injectors, tuner and all for $3400 right now at R&E Racing in Lancaster, Ca.
I have seen the complete Paxton and Vortech kits at various places for around $3200

I wouldn't trust a canned tune with these. I would still plan on a dyno tune. These are also non-intercooled, meaning the power won't be as much - about 100 I think. I'll research it tonite.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I'm with crazyal, get your foundation first then save for the FI. If you can't put the power to the ground your just spinning your wheels. You should be able to get your suspension and supporting mods taken care of for well under 5k and then have some left over to save towards the rest.

After you buy your first mod and see the benefit, you will be hooked and you won't stop. It's like an addiction.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:21 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I can get the Powerdyne with injectors, tuner and all for $3400 right now at R&E Racing in Lancaster, Ca.
I have seen the complete Paxton and Vortech kits at various places for around $3200

I wouldn't trust a canned tune with these. I would still plan on a dyno tune. These are also non-intercooled, meaning the power won't be as much - about 100 I think. I'll research it tonite.
Thanks for the extra info. I don't think I want to go with a non-intercooled package, so I imagine the price will jump up a bit. I'll keep those places in mind though for when I'm ready.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 AM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

If you want at least 400 RWHP, there is no way to do that unless you get some kind of power adder. (Turbo, supercharger, or nitrous)

I don't think that $5000 is going to be enough to install either a turbo or a supercharger. You have to pay for the main kit,all the supporting mods like fuel injectors, pumps, and so on, and then the installation and subsequent tuning. That's not going to happen for less than $5000.

Plus, with that kind of power you will need suspension mods to put it to the ground. Power is useless if you can't get traction.

That being said, I think you have two options. First off, your uncle's suggestion: you can get a lot of solid bolt-ons, some traction mods,and a good nitrous kit for well under $5000.

On the other hand, if you want the turbo you will need to save up some more $$$ to get the whole package done right.
Actually, it is possible to acheive more than 400 without forced induction,with Blow by Racings, heads, cams, exhaust and all those goodies, with upgraded injectors. Check out the video.
http://www.blowbyracing.com/vid-406.html

If your goal is 400-450 hp, a turbo is much more install work for you or a mechanic= more $
so I would say do the NOS, or Supercharger.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

heads,cams,exhaust,etc - may as well buy a blower
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Iwould go with the s/c unless you only want the power for the strip only. I f you do the nos to get this much h.p you will need to change to a colder plug and a different tune with much less timing. The tune would be easy to load, however the plug change would be time consuming, yes you can run the colder plugs daily but the performance would would suffer somewhat. I went with the nos but got spoiled feeling the extra power, now I want it available all the time, so this spring the Paxton s/cfrom Brenspeed is going in.

P.S. I'll be selling my Zex kit.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Unless the car is paid off, you will be money ahead to pay down the car loan, unless you got 0% interest.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RetroS197

Actually, it is possible to acheive more than 400 without forced induction,with Blow by Racings, heads, cams, exhaust and all those goodies, with upgraded injectors. Check out the video.

If your goal is 400-450 hp, a turbo is much more install work for you or a mechanic= more $
Several comments:

First off, BBR has a less than stellar reputation. For some reason no indipendant shop can ever match the results that BBR claims, and BBR routinely refuses 3rd-party dyno confirmations of their results.

Second, this claim of 400 HP has yet to be duplicated or confirmed. I belive that it is possible in the true sense of the word. But for the time being, it is not feasible or practical to do so.

Also keep in mind that the cost of all these parts is more than the cost of getting a supercharger....not to mention the labor involved with cams and heads is MUCH more than the labor involving a supercharger.

I'll stand by my previous conclusion that if you want 400 HP the viable option is forced induction.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

on the non-intercooled blower kits they produce less boost - longer engine life. it's the quickest way to your goal
Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: RetroS197

Several comments:

First off, BBR has a less than stellar reputation. For some reason no indipendant shop can ever match the results that BBR claims, and BBR routinely refuses 3rd-party dyno confirmations of their results.

Second, this claim of 400 HP has yet to be duplicated or confirmed. I belive that it is possible in the true sense of the word. But for the time being, it is not feasible or practical to do so.

Also keep in mind that the cost of all these parts is more than the cost of getting a supercharger....not to mention the labor involved with cams and heads is MUCH more than the labor involving a supercharger.

I'll stand by my previous conclusion that if you want 400 HP the viable option is forced induction.
Yes, you are right. I only wanted to point out that option of heads and cams. About the validity of there claims, first of all they do state on that vid that it is NOT streetable or reliable with out bigger injectors and pump. They only wanted to prove it was Possible to achieve 400 rwhp on the 3v naturally, that tune was actually on race gas or something. [&:] Furthermore MM&FF tested the heads and cams in one of there articles and picked up a big chunk of power. (don't remember how much) anyway I DO agree with you. Supercharger is the best option. Im goin with the saleen.