Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

Default lowering springs

wanting some lowering springs. the obvious is eibach and steeda but i'm wondering if one of these is definately the way to go or if there was other worthy options. the steeda is actually a little cheaper of the two so i was just gonna get some opinions.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:30 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: lowering springs

It really intends on what you want to do with the car. Springs come in different rates and heights for different purposes. Understand up front that lowering your car means more than just springs. You will need at minumum an adjustable upper or lower control arms as well as an adjustable panhard bar to correct your pinion angle and center the rear end. Depending on how low you go you will likely need camber bolts and a good alignment. These are the bare minimums. You really want new struts/shocks as well. Not doing it correctly will give you a car that rides like crap and has suspension geometry out of whack. I don't mean to discourage you - just letting you know up front. Many guys half-*ss it and spend more money later correcting the problems they've created.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

i just wanted to drop it about an inch to get rid of the 4x4 look. when checking out the different types of springs they would advertise how using their springs (i.e. eibach, steeda) that you would get that lowered look and not lose any smoothness in your ride quality. would i still have to get into changing control arms if that's all i'm wanting to do?
Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

with only an inch I wouldn't worry about it. If you just want to get rid of the 4x4 stance go with Roush's rear only kit. It will level the car out . Real easy to do yourself - don't have to worry about a spring compressor like in the front. I wanna say they're only about 100 bucks. The Eibach kit will definately lower it more than 1-inch (both of them). People like the Steeda springs. I forget which ones only lower it an inch, but with those you will probably be allright. i wouldn't go any more than that though.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

good deal. i was actually leaning towards the Steeda springs. they are cheaper than the Eibach's so i wanted to get someone's opionion first. Steeda claims to drop the car close to an inch and actually improve ride quality and handling. sounds like we've got a winner. my mechanic lets me use one of his bays and lifts whenever i need so when these come in i should be able to make the swap myself
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

i have the eibach pro kit. Lowers about an inch and a half front and an inch rear. I must say it does WONDERS in the appearence. its amazing! anyways i love the eibachs.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I would do Roush or FRPP rears only. Front is fine IMO, the more you lower the harsher the ride; you'll then need Tokico adj struts and coils to help with that. (serious $$$$)
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I have FRPP all around. Claims a 1.5" drop and i agree. My impression is they are very stocklike for around 1/2" of compression. This means they ride very nicely on the highway. But if you push them past that 1/2" they firm up greatly and make a HUGE difference in the way the car handles. My car seems to push a bit when first diving into turns, but once the stiffer rate of the spring is reached I can go in as hard as i want (or dare) Coming out of a hard turn the car gets straight with minimal input from me. Drag racing (mostly what i do) I do get a right rear squat that is a bit more than I would like. I am considering an airbag to keep it level on hard launches. I personally didn't have a rear center issue with this drop, but every car is different. So be prepared.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have the steeda springs and it lowered the car in the rear about 1.25 inches and love the look.
ORIGINAL: Black Sunshine 07

good deal. i was actually leaning towards the Steeda springs. they are cheaper than the Eibach's so i wanted to get someone's opionion first. Steeda claims to drop the car close to an inch and actually improve ride quality and handling. sounds like we've got a winner. my mechanic lets me use one of his bays and lifts whenever i need so when these come in i should be able to make the swap myself
Old 01-18-2007, 03:34 AM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

sounds like going with either eibach or steeda would be the way to go. they are very similar in price and description.any thoughts on which of the two handle better when installed on a stock GT? also, if any of one have pics after doing the install you could send it would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: lowering springs