Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Leaving it stock

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:57 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Leaving it stock

My engine is bone stock and I think it has plenty of power. But then I guess I'm just an old fart.

Unless maybe there were some mods that would get me better gas mileage without any HP penalty. I might go for something like that.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:11 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

CAI And tune will get you better MPG
Old 01-22-2007, 03:44 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

bone stock...not by choice...still saving up
Old 01-22-2007, 05:21 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

A major reason when considering purchasing a mustang was knowing there was a large aftermarket for it. I knew I was going to mod it before I even bought the car. I have always modded my cars and just because this one still had its warranty intact, I wasn't going to let that stop me. Plus my old Audi was considerably faster than my mustang in stock form so I had to quickly start modding it.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:49 AM
RetroS197
1st Gear Member

I also think everyone should at least pick some mufflers, way to quiet stock. When I got mine, my first concern was getting the audio right. Everyone here me drive by. LOL
ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

the whole fun of this car is modding it.

driving it without a tune is almost painful
Exactly! That alone was worth doing, minimum should be CAI and Tune me thinks....
Old 01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Nothing wrong with stock. If I had two cars,one would be 100% stock and the other non-streetable, but since I only have the one, it's a compromise between street and track.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

Nothing wrong with stock. If I had two cars,one would be 100% stock and the other non-streetable, but since I only have the one, it's a compromise between street and track.
do you even remember driving it stock..? A cai & tune is a req for me to drive one
Old 01-22-2007, 04:57 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

I was going to leave it stock, But then I bought 1 mod- my short throw shifter, and that's all she wrote. I don't have much. That is yet, but I have a list of what I want to do. To me it is fun, since so far the mods have been installed by myself. Gets me in teh garage doing some mechanical work, and when I get it down, the good feeling I have of accomplishment.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

Mods are like Lays potato chips... nobody can have just one....

Man! That gives away my age!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

CAI And tune will get you better MPG
The only reason for doing a mod for mileage is if it pays for itself. Otherwise, why do it?

A CAI is about, what, $200 or so? That's the American Muscle price for a JLT. But then you have to have a tune. AM's price for the SCT XCalibrator 2 is around $400. So, that would cost me about $600. Now, I drive about 2000 miles a month and get about 22 MPG. A CAI will get me, what, 2-5 MPG? Let's be generous and say it gets me from 22 MPG to 27 MPG. Right now with stock engine, and with gas at $2 / gal here, I'm spending about $180 a month on gas. At 27 MPG, I would be spending $150, a savings of $30 a month. Divide that into the $600, and you get 20 months to break even. After that, I'd save $30 a month And if its really more like 2 MPG as I suspect, then the break even point would be in about 42 months, and I'd save only about $15 a month.. (I'm rounding all my figures, since they're guesses anyway.)

A C&L with tuner from ebay is $750. That works out to 25 months break even for 5 MPG gain or 53 months for 2 MPG gain.

And that's all assuming that I use a tune that lets me keep using 87 octane. Premium is about $2.20 here right now. That means assuming 2 MPG increase and I have to switch to premium, gas would cost me about the same per month. In other words, I'd get a little more HP, but it wouldn't help with the cost of gas. It wouldn't pay for itself. And in this case, it wouldn't matter which CAI or tuner I choose. Money wise, I'd just get a little more HP for whatever I paid for the CAI & tuner.

Or am I missing something? I realize that this is only a couple of examples, and some CAI's don't require a tune.

Oh, and you have to remove the tune and CAI if you take the car back to Ford for warranty work, right? That would be a PITA. Of course, that wouldn't be a problem if I got the Ford CAI.

Doesn't seem worth it to me just to get a little bit better gas mileage - or maybe no improvement at all in the price I pay for gas. And it sounds like a relative mild boost in HP, too.

Not trying to discount the whole thing, but it just doesn't seem worth the money to me. Of course, I realize that the reason most of you guys get the CAI is for more power, and it's hard to put a dollar value on that.

Quick Reply: Leaving it stock