Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mustang #2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 AM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

Default mustang #2

why, you may ask? Lets just say at least im okay AND it wasn't my fault... that is why i am getting another one.... but all grief set aside, I have recently found an 06' GT wtih 10k miles for 21k$.... its a beauty, but then my GF says "but its an auto, yer last one was manual and you wouldn't be happy with an auto..." (ya, she loves me alright)..... so my question is, what are goods and bads of an auto? I do not want any opinions just facts... I have researched this topic and it seems i can only find opinions.... so, for you gearheads out there, any help is appreciated...

manual vs auto
gas mileage?
reliability?
long term outlook? ....... etc etc

a few positives i can think of are that my GF can drive it when i get sloshed, driving in traffic (which i dont do too much), and it just MAY control my lead foot a lil with a lil less control....
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but i couldn't really find anything on this topic not involving opinions

so should i hold out for the manual?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:09 AM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: mustang #2

OMG here we go again lol
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_2551054/tm.htm
Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 AM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

I read the whole post and didn't see much besides opinions but i did get some insight from a fellow mustang owner... ofcourse first thing he said is "girl's car", then talked about tranny probs with previous mustangs, then somethin bout worse gas mileage because of the 4-speed automatic, and then he said "girl's car" again for emphasis...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 AM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: therobman7

I read the whole post and didn't see much besides opinions but i did get some insight from a fellow mustang owner... ofcourse first thing he said is "girl's car", then talked about tranny probs with previous mustangs, then somethin bout worse gas mileage because of the 4-speed automatic, and then he said "girl's car" again for emphasis...
ROFL! [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

I keep trying to get my girl to learn how to drive stick, but she adamantly refuses. Makes me sometimes wish I had an auto, but otherwise, F*CK THAT! (just out of personal preference )
Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 AM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: therobman7

Hey robman,
I'm afraid guys who talk like that have a serious case of PNSNV.
Like I said before on an earlier thread- it certainly doesn't take a Superhuman level of hand-eye coordination to drive a stick!
Indeed, a trained APE could learn to do it in a few easy lessons.
But the way some dudes talk about automatics you'd think they were only suitable for retards, sissies or little old ladies.
Well, that's THEIR problem bro, cause even though a stick can sometimes certainly be more fun, I do about 2/3 of my driving in traffic, and wouldn't trade my auto tranny for a stick if you paid me.
JEEZ........!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Manual should get slightly better gas mileage.
Manual has less hp lost through the drivetrain. (Meaning you get a little more hp to the wheels.)
Auto can handle more torque/hp if you plan on modding it.
Auto is more consistant @ the track, no missed shifts etc.
Auto is "easier" in traffic, when tired, and if someone else has to drive.

Thats all I have as far as tech fact and not opinion.. as far as opinion, I like to shift manually, but I also like to just sit back and chill sometimes, which is why I got an auto and Ill get a ratchet shifter.

People have this mindset that if a car isnt a manual then its not a "man's car". Personally I just think thats an ego trip or some sort of inferiority complex. True, manuals are more fun to drive on curvy roads, but on straight roads or in traffic theyre pretty boring to me... But thats ok, at least I wont ever have to scramble for the excuse that "I missed 3rd."
Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Driving a manual is so easy a cave man can do it!
No facts! Nuff said!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:51 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 01-23-2007, 02:54 PM
bchataroo
2nd Gear Member

People always talk about how much "FASTER" a manual is over an auto. I would like to see a race betweena stockmanual and a stock auto with just a transmission tune.

Later

Quick Reply: mustang #2