Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust

I am upgrading my exhuast and was wondering a few things. What difference would it make it a person eliminated the x or h pipe and just ran dual exhaust with 2 separate pipes? I am getting headers and was just wondering if there is any advantages/disadvantages to this? The headers I am looking at comes like this, thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:28 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust

the professor did a nice write up on
different exhaust types and the pro's
and cons of each.......search for professor
wizard exhaust threads and you will see
it
Old 01-23-2007, 11:58 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

All headers, for any V-engine,come "seperate" as you have described. Howeverin the final install there is alwaysan "H" or "X" pipe in the case of dual exhaust, ora "Y" pipe for cars that have a single exhaust (likemost V-6s).

Running two seperate pipes without a crossover (X or H)has a seriousflow disadvantage. It will make you LOOSE HP to run two seperate pipes. The whole reason for the "X" or "H" is to balancepressure between the two banks of cylinders. This provides more room for flow to the mufflers and it also helps scavenging. In fact in the "old days" of hot rodding, this was a common mod: to add a crossover pipe (usually an H-pipe) to old cars that didn't come like this from the factory. These days all cars with dual exhaust come with an H or X from the factory. The "H" pipe is the older design, and the "X" is the more modern version. An X-pipe is more streamlined which gives it a slight flow advantage compared to the H.

Check with the company thatmakes the headersyou are looking at. They should also make a matching X or H pipe to go with them. If you don't have that, you will need to do a lot of custom work to finish the install. All the better header brands come as a kit with the headers, midpipe, and various parts you need (gaskets, clamps, hangers, and so on)
Old 01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

U don't know how much hp you will loose? The headers come with a kit, and its two separate pipes instead of a h or x pipe. I am not getting cats. They make with an x pipe but the place close to me can't order that set for some reason, just the other one.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.

Even if you buy just those headers you still need to buy some other parts in order to hook them up. The OEM exhaust piping begins at the rear end of the transmission. The headers will stop around the front of the transmission. You need to do something to fill this gap.

Basically, you have three options:

1) you can custom-make two "straight pipes". This will be expensive, and it will cost you power. I would not be suprised to see a loss of 20 HP. This is a guess becasue I haven't actually seen this done on these cars, but it is a good one. Non-merged pipes suck, to be frank.

2) You can buy a pre-made midpipe which will drop right in. Even if you local guy can't get this for some reason, just mail order it!

3) You can custom make a crossover midpipe of some kind. This won't cost you the HP like option #1, but it will still be expensive and a pain to do.

Who makes the headers you are looking at? I am sure a ton of mail order places will have what you need even if your local guy can't get it for some reason.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

It sounds like without the cross over pipe that you apparently don't want will cost you in horsepower what the LTs would free up. But like crazyal said the flow would not be optimal and I would guess on the 3V it wouldn't sound good. A change in midpipe really changes the sound of these cars.

Are you going for a certain look or just to say you have straight through pipes?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

I know the headers end and you need different pipes to hook to factory exhaust. This kit has separate pipes as well to hook up to the factory exhaust. It is a set from stainless works that goes from 3" to 2 1\2" to hook up to the factory exhaust. I thought it would sound pretty cool just having 2 separate pipes, but if its gonna cost that much power, then thats not goin to happen.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:49 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The stainless works headers come with adapters to fit onto the OEM H-pipe. You cut off the cats from your OEM pipe and then weld the adapters onto the "H" portion. This then bolts up to your headers.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:47 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

ok, I didnt realize thats how that system works. Thanks.