Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

h-pipe,x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM
savagewater

Default RE: h-pipe,x-pipe

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: WhiteStallion06

X pipe will give you more flow but a raspy sound that is not liked by some but again loved by some ....
H pipe a little less flow but gives a deeper sound that is more throaty by again its all sound preference ... i prefer the h pipe because i like that sound but the x pipe sounds good as well and you also have to look at what kind of exhaust set up you have .... some axlebacks sounds a lot different with the different mid pipe you just have to listen to sound clips and see what you want the most.

But if your just power hungry and dont care what it sounds like get the x pipe
I totally disagree there....actually kind of tired of hearing the x pipe sound described as raspy..... raspy means

harsh; grating; rasping.

easily annoyed; irritable.
I do not feel the sound of my car is any of that.... I think allot can be said for your setup as well....I have heard h-pipe setups with different axelbacks that I did not care for at all. I personally have had both aftermarket x pipes and h pipes and personally I have been much happier with my crisp clear sound of the x pipe...is there a noticable note difference between h and x pipe...of course....search this forum and you will get a million opinions. ..but for anyone to decribe it as raspy....that to me is an injustice to the sound....IMO
So glad to finally read something like this.[sm=smiley20.gif]For almost a year I've read so many threads on various forums about the pros and cons of X and H pipes. I must've read the raspy comment a hundred times. I have the FRPP Stingers axlebacks and searched for soundclips with these and Magnaflow catted X-Pipes with no success. So, since I had a good deal last Christmas I went ahead and bought one without knowing how it's gonna sound.

Well, next Saturday I'm having it installed so I'll know. It will still be a good month before I take my car out of hibernation but still...

Anyway; I'll let you know my first impression and perhaps help someone else in the process. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:44 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: savagewater

X pipe will give you more flow but a raspy sound that is not liked by some but again loved by some ....
H pipe a little less flow but gives a deeper sound that is more throaty by again its all sound preference ... i prefer the h pipe because i like that sound but the x pipe sounds good as well and you also have to look at what kind of exhaust set up you have .... some axlebacks sounds a lot different with the different mid pipe you just have to listen to sound clips and see what you want the most.

I totally disagree there....actually kind of tired of hearing the x pipe sound described as raspy..... raspy means

harsh; grating; rasping.

I do not feel the sound of my car is any of that.... I think allot can be said for your setup as well....I have heard h-pipe setups with different axelbacks that I did not care for at all. I personally have had both aftermarket x pipes and h pipes and personally I have been much happier with my crisp clear sound of the x pipe...is there a noticable note difference between h and x pipe...of course....search this forum and you will get a million opinions. ..but for anyone to decribe it as raspy....that to me is an injustice to the sound....IMO
So glad to finally read something like this.[sm=smiley20.gif]For almost a year I've read so many threads on various forums about the pros and cons of X and H pipes. I must've read the raspy comment a hundred times. I have the FRPP Stingers axlebacks and searched for soundclips with these and Magnaflow catted X-Pipes with no success. So, since I had a good deal last Christmas I went ahead and bought one without knowing how it's gonna sound.

Well, next Saturday I'm having it installed so I'll know. It will still be a good month before I take my car out of hibernation but still...

Anyway; I'll let you know my first impression and perhaps help someone else in the process. Can't wait to hear it.
i dont think you will be disappointed. I have the kooks with the x pipe and FRRP stinger axel back...to me it is more like that of a alcohol burner rail car.....not by any means raspy...definitely a growl....I liked the h pipe as well....it had a different more mellow sound..but in my opinion it almost sounded fake....like a noise that should not have come out of my car....like a deeper truck sound....IMO.... not bad....just different...but truly tired of RASPY description for an x pipe....which also by hte way is more efficient for HP as well compared to the antiquated H pipe style... RASPY..i think not .[:-]
Old 02-01-2007, 02:31 AM
blitzed589
2nd Gear Member

+1
Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ive seen some complaints on the Pypes off road X and the o2 bung not in the right place. Anynone have an issue with the Pypes H?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

I just recently bought the UPR O/R-X and I love the sound of it...i also have the flowmaster axlebacks...it is definately louder and they claim it to make 20 more horse...not sure on that number but I definately noticed a difference in the way my car performed...it really opened it up up top. I've hadnumerous 05+ owners with other brands of o/r x tell me its the best sounding x they have heard.... X-pipes for the win in my opinion
Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 PM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I know raspy is the common word that is used and i dont think it sounds bad at all... i guess its hard to explain and raspy is the best word .... im not saying one sounds better than the other theres just a different sound there the h pipe just sounds deeper i think ... ive heard cars that have x pipes and i dont think they sound bad by any means and i guess raspy isnt the best word to define it
Old 02-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VanWilder

I just recently bought the UPR O/R-X and I love the sound of it...i also have the flowmaster axlebacks...it is definately louder and they claim it to make 20 more horse...not sure on that number but I definately noticed a difference in the way my car performed...it really opened it up up top. I've hadnumerous 05+ owners with other brands of o/r x tell me its the best sounding x they have heard.... X-pipes for the win in my opinion
Brenspeed told me your pipe is good for 8 rear horsepower with the tune a course.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 PM
savagewater

ORIGINAL: savagewater

harsh; grating; rasping.

i dont think you will be disappointed. I have the kooks with the x pipe and FRRP stinger axel back...to me it is more like that of a alcohol burner rail car.....not by any means raspy...definitely a growl....I liked the h pipe as well....it had a different more mellow sound..but in my opinion it almost sounded fake....like a noise that should not have come out of my car....like a deeper truck sound....IMO.... not bad....just different...but truly tired of RASPY description for an x pipe....which also by hte way is more efficient for HP as well compared to the antiquated H pipe style... RASPY..i think not .[:-]

Well...you were right Al! Just picked up my car and for the whole mile back to my house you should've seen the very large grin on my face.. Of course we're still under the snow here in Canada and I couldn't take it for a good ride on the freeway but still, so far I love what I hear. One more month before I take it out. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!
Anyway just wanted to share this with you guys. Magnaflow catted X with stingers...Very good combo.It's also definitely louder but this is no caddy.

And ifthis is what people call raspy well to me it's music to my ears.
Jean.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:51 PM
impaler
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Keep in mind that seperate pipes is a really bad idea. Expect to LOOSE about 20 HP if you do that.
How can that be? Why would separate pipes be bad, versus an X or H pipe? Are the X and H pipes still separate tubes, or do their gases cross at some point?
Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

ORIGINAL: offrdmania

Forgive me but a axleback with big tips will that cost you power?

Hope you have enough HP to constitute opening your exhaust to 3 inch. Remember bigger isnt always better, you need that back pressure
I agree with you that bigger isn't always better. However, backpressure has little to do with it. Backpressure is ALWAYS bad. However, a larger diameter pipe can upset the resonance tuning of the exhaust, and thatmight costyou power.

More reading: https://mustangforums.com/m_1520122/...tm.htm#1521527

And here: https://mustangforums.com/m_2362117/tm.htm

Still, it's been established that the 2.5" tubing is plenty on these cars, unless you plan on making more than 600 HP or so....

Quick Reply: h-pipe,x-pipe