Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brake dust

ORIGINAL: RUFDRAFT

What are snow tires?

Nice rims!!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Good info, I may try this for my Expedition where the front disk brake dust is out of control.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arrow

Forget those things. Yeck...

Clean your wheels more often (there, an excuse to spend more time with your car!) and buy better break pads.
The better brake pads would be a good idea from what I hear, but I hate to replace perfectly good ones with less than 5000 miles on them. As for cleaning the wheels more often and spending time time with the car, I spend lots of time with the car - two hours a day 5 days a week driving to work plus weekend driving. I do hand wash the car as often as I can, but I'm what most of you would consider to be ancient - 60 years old. It's not as easy for me to detail a car as it once was.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

I have used them, and I liked them. I had them on a 2000 GT, I have them on my wife's Miata, and I have them on the front wheels on an '85 Mustang GT. I may put them on my '06 GT 'vert if they come out with ones that will work on my 18" Fanblades. Not only do they cut down, or eliminate the dust, they (being flat blact) make a good looking wheel "stand out". Just my $.02.
Thanks. Got any pictures? BTW, on that web site that they have them for all factory wheels and many aftermarket wheels. If those are the Ford 18" fanblades, they should have them. Or at least that's what they say.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

60 yrs? Heck, you still a teenager, partner.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:43 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Same here 1+
ORIGINAL: PistolPez73

+1......I'll put up with the brake dust, I like to see the rotors and calipers.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:02 AM
JimC

ORIGINAL: wthalliii
The better brake pads would be a good idea from what I hear, but I hate to replace perfectly good ones with less than 5000 miles on them. As for cleaning the wheels more often and spending time time with the car, I spend lots of time with the car - two hours a day 5 days a week driving to work plus weekend driving. I do hand wash the car as often as I can, but I'm what most of you would consider to be ancient - 60 years old. It's not as easy for me to detail a car as it once was.
Sounds like we have similar commutes -- one hour each way to downtown Detroit for me. Puts a lot of miles quickly on the Mustang, but my brake pads are holding up very well -- and I end up trying to keep the wheels clean. -- I'm just a little behind you on the age though (53 -- with 7 kids and 5 grandchildren) so I have the car hand washed by a detail shop in our parking garageonce a month so the wheels get a good cleaning by someone younger than me!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimC

Sounds like we have similar commutes -- one hour each way to downtown Detroit for me. Puts a lot of miles quickly on the Mustang, but my brake pads are holding up very well -- and I end up trying to keep the wheels clean. -- I'm just a little behind you on the age though (53 -- with 7 kids and 5 grandchildren) so I have the car hand washed by a detail shop in our parking garageonce a month so the wheels get a good cleaning by someone younger than me!
Yeah, I drive from south of Dallas through town to north of Dallas - and back. I bought my Mustang November 11, and I have about 4500 miles on it already. Wow, big family. We have 5 boys, 31-46 years old, but none of those rotten kids will give us any grandkids!

I park outdoors - no parking garages where I work. I don't know if there is anyone who will come to a parking lot and wash a car here. Worth checking into, though.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

The better brake pads would be a good idea from what I hear, but I hate to replace perfectly good ones with less than 5000 miles on them.
No reason to throw them out, though. You can always keep them as a spare. Plus you can replace the fronts (where most of the dust comes from anyway) and leave the back alone.

And there's no such thing as being 'old' when you have a Mustang. Everytime you take it out, you're young again! Just hit the gas and watch the wrinkles smooth away!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arrow
And there's no such thing as being 'old' when you have a Mustang. Everytime you take it out, you're young again! Just hit the gas and watch the wrinkles smooth away!
Yep. Happens every day when I drive it to and from work. It makes rush hour traffic a whole lot more fun. I actually find myself hoping that traffic signals will turn red so that I can punch it when I take off again!