Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

First encounter with the Big bad GTO.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 09:43 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Default First encounter with the Big bad GTO.

So I'm happy to be home from a trip and surprised to see there is still no snow on the ground this late in Winter. Out comes the Premi from her half hibernating, half awake slumber for a quick bank run and DVD. It's BONE COLD outside and ohh yeah, me likes the cold! I'm just cruising minding my own business doing 45mph without a care in the world.

I can see in my rear view that someone far back is doing some lane switching and rolling pretty good but can't tell what it is. After 5 to 10 minutes Mr dirty black tinted car is directly behind me and I can now see that it's a Pontiac something by the grill but can't tell which one (Grand am, etc). There is a loooooong line of cars on the side of me so there is no chance for him to get by or beside me because nobody will let him over. Hes stuck behind me. Well, the fact that I'm crusing didn't help because everyone is passing me. As I approach a right turn at a light MR Pontiac (now known as MR P) is revving up on my tail (about half a car or so behind me costing up and drifting back) There is a 2 mile stretch ahead with no cars in front of me for a while but there are cars on the side. I deside to get this guy off my tail after my turn so I gun it from 2nd as I roll through the right turn.

Mr P is gunning too, 3rd gear wot, MR P right there with me, 4th gear, now 4.10's are really working overtime ( this is my killer gear) wot to 6k shift, Mr P right there still about half car back and steady. No cars on the side now just me and him in same lane going flat out. By this time I'm am wondering 2 things.

What car is this behind me staying with me?
and
Why he has not passed me?

As I hit 5th for 20sec its time to back off to prepare for the slowdown turn and the cars we are closing on ahead when it suddenly hits me.

This guy CAN"T pass me or he would have when we were alone. I now realize he can only keep up with me but does not have it in him to overtake me.

As I'm breaking to slow for my turn ahead then and only then does he go past me, thats when I see the outline of him and a girl in the passenger seat. (I'm alone) I can see him looking over, I also see the GTO badge and the full car clearly. (20's) If there supposed to be 400hp why could'nt he pass me?

Hmmmm, I say to myself. I only wish we could meet on the highway side by side. The road we were on is like a highway but smaller with lights far apart. We will see each other again I'm sure. Very easy to spot such a dirty, ugly car with Mercedes like 20's ha ha. If he could not pass me now Lord help him when I make the time for more mods. Sorry such a long post, I typed what I remembered and it just ended up this long................

Pontiac info I pulled...
[quote][ CAPACITIES GTO
$33,290* Curb weight, lbs. 3,725
Cargo volume,
cubic feet 7
Fuel capacity, approximate, gallons 18
Seating capacity,
front/rear 2/2
EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS
GTO
$33,290*
Wheelbase, inches 109.8
Overall length, inches 189.8
Body width,
inches 72.5
Overall height,
inches 54.9
Front track width,
inches 62.1
Rear track width,
inches 62.1
PERFORMANCE: ENGINE & TRANSMISSION GTO
$33,290*
Engine, 6.0L V8 SFI aluminum (400 HP [297.9 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 400 lb-ft [539.9 N-m] @4000 rpm) Transmission, 4-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive
Transmission, 6-speed manual /quote]
Old 02-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: First encounter with the Big bad GTO.

Shortbread?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:19 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

god; how fast where you guys going?

w/ your modds; you would kill a stock gto. so i would say it wasnt stock.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

at 400 horsepower, a stock GTO can hang with you. there are lots of unknown factors - how much weight was in his car, his tune/mods. they are a very fast car stock
Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

johnnyv8
god; how fast where you guys going?

w/ your modds; you would kill a stock gto. so i would say it wasnt stock.
You know I never even looked at the speedo, I only looked ahead to see how much time I had to stay on it and looked back to see where he was? Hard to tell reading words I know but it was very short lived. It does not take much to get to 5th. First time I had a chance to get on it in several months. Judging by the tint and money he spent on those horrible looking 20's I would say its a good chance he has invested in something else too. I don't remember seeing an exhaust as he drove past, I definitely could not hear one. ROARRR

RodeoFlyer--
at 400 horsepower, a stock GTO can hang with you. there are lots of unknown factors - how much weight was in his car, his tune/mods. they are a very fast car stock
I was runny all kinds of scenarios in my head afterwards. Did he have a full tank? I already new he had a passenger, I assume the 20's played a role but dunno. Spent allot of time thinking about it afterwards. I know I only had 40 miles to E based on the warning chime but other than that dunno? Wonder how much he lost through drivetrain? Wonder how much they run to the ground? Wonder if he was stock? We will meet again because now I'm looking for him in that area! He was feeling confident because he sought me out once he saw me and started moving up. Sucker!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Meanwhile....in the GTO forums Mr P writes:

"I was trying like hell to catch up with this guy. I should have known better than to get behind him. I know from my experience that Black Stangs are lethal. I was told about this one that cruises around spitting fire and smoking everyone in its path. I wonder if that was him...I just wonder. Unfortunately I would never know. As I had to settle for being behind him. I couldnot miss my turn to go home....gosh...I was in needed ofchanging my underwear badly...I soiledit the moment I saw him........"

Way to gobro....we areproud of you and you are right....now snow yet....
Old 02-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Stormbringer
2nd Gear Member

You sure it was the 6.0? In 2004 the GTO had the 5.7L LS1. The LS2 didnt go in there till 05 I think...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
flewbyu
4th Gear Member

Stormbringer
You sure it was the 6.0? In 2004 the GTO had the 5.7L LS1. The LS2 didnt go in there till 05 I think...
Excellent point! I ASSUMED it was a new one, but since I do not follow that car OR know anything about it, it never even crossed my mind that it may have been an older one! Good Freakin point! I assumed they are all new because I thought they recently came out in 06! So it could have been a modded older one. Wonder if it's like our car where the 05/07 all look alike? For some reason I think it was a new one, cant explain it but for some reason I think it was. I gotta find a pix of an older one and a newer one to compare. This is why I love other people giving opinions, it makes you look at it from another view!

TPony--That is some funny stuff bro!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 PM
patrik10

The 2004 GTO with the LS1 is only rated at 350 HP.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

there you go! -

I know you can tell them apart by the exhaust (assuming it's factory) I wanna say the earlier one has dual pipes that exit next to each other and the later one has them split like ours. We can take the early model with a few mods. The later one is hella-fast. I've had my pee-pee whacked more than once by those guys lol

Quick Reply: First encounter with the Big bad GTO.