Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Are Mustangs better than any Japanese performance car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:52 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Are Mustangs better than any Japanese performance car?

there all great cars; and all have there ups and downs. one thing all these cars have in common; is there the fastest cars you can buy for 25-35 grand; that will tear up some cars twice the price.

I picked the stang over lets say the Z for example because my last car was a jap v6 and i always want amer 8. Even though the stang handling alittle crappy next to these evos, Z, sti etc. the ride is much better; i can drive my stang for hours where my friends Z is killing my back in a half an hour
Old 02-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

That's not a very good survey!
You need to define the word "better". And what Mustang?
I voted NO due to all my problems I've had (including 40 days in the shop for a new engine) because my definition of BETTER would rank reliability and options higher than off the line performance.
If "better" means value, on the other hand, I would say YES, because when ever I build a 350Z, lexus is350, Infinity GS Coupe or sedan they are way more expensive compared to a fully loaded Mustang GT.
And even though the Mustang S197 has been around for going on 3 years now it still looks cooler than the others, which all tend to look the same.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
GiMiX
2nd Gear Member

As i read in Motor trend when they did the comparison between the 350z and the Mustang GT. It ended up with the conclusion of this: "People with millions of dollars, who can buy any car they want still prefers a new GT."
Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

They all have their merits. Beauty truely is in the eye of the beholder. Define better.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Ionly have one thing to say, "KEEP AMERICA EMPLOYED, BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
1sloGT

ORIGINAL: Hiboost

For the money, it can't be beat. I traded my Stage 4+ WRX in on my Stang... miss the AWD tho....
Same boat as you...if mustangs were only awd, lol
Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 PM
ADudeInNewJersey
3rd Gear Member

F**k that! You gotta go with the V8, for 25k you can't go wrong! with that extra 5k you saved, put on a TCharger and you got more than 420HP. The sound and the power. American Muscle! plus the parts are cheaper! lol. I've always wanted a Mustang, Father had a Mach1 back in 71 and I wish I could own a Mach 1 now. But its true about everyone has there own likes. If you worry about gas, your better off gettin a Jap car.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

For the price the Mustang is a great car. I think the only Japanese cars better than the Mustang are the Evo, the STI and the Skyline. Oh and of course the civic how did I leave that out.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 AM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

I just feel mustangs are so much nicer looking than all others out there, especially the WRX and EVO. As far as performance, by the numbers I think the WRX (STI), EVO, and Z are all quicker, but I would still never trade in my mustang for any of those. And I also agree with everyone else, mustangs are only 25k, versus 30k+ for most japanese performance cars. If I had over 30k to spend, I would just buy a used Z06. And one more thing, none of those cars can fulfill the feeling you get of driving a V8.

just my 2 cents...
Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

it's personal preference- and many would pick the mustang as this is a mustang forum! I like the mustang more for its affordability and its easy to mod the hell out of!

Quick Reply: Are Mustangs better than any Japanese performance car?