Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Jack Stupid Question :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

Default Jack Stupid Question :)

Hey, what do you guys use to lift the 'Stang when you have to get under it? I know a jack works, but that's not really a great solution, especially when working alone.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Jack Stupid Question :)

I work alone and I use a jack. I paid $10 for it from autozone. It's small and crappy. My butt puckers everytime I have to trust that thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Arrow
2nd Gear Member

I don't trust jacks enough to get under the car. Changing a tire, sure, or even a panel, but I ain't get'n under there!

Costco sells some decent shop jacks, the roller kind that are pretty substantial and can't be knocked over. Problem is, I live in an apt, and I'd have to haul the thing up the steps.

My Dad used to have some of these ramp kinda things. I was too little to really remember at the time. You just put them down and drove the car up onto them. Raised it about a foot I guess. Haven't seen them around, though. Do they still exist?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

I have a floor jack and I use big blocks under the tires to change my oil, If I needed the car up all the way around I would use jack stands.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49854/C523D48BC89E4B5DBE9AC7B159DD7199.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
beefrits

WalMart has jack stands for less than $20 a pair. Cheap insurance against disaster.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

My dad has a pair of those ramps too. I dont know if they still sell them. I'm sure they do. I actually have some jack stands but theyre at work and I just never bring them home.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

A 3-ton floor jack (Craftsman) & I have several jacks stands, 3-ton and 8-ton sizes. I prefer the larger ones because they are more stable and the provide more height to work under.

Never work under a car supported by a jack only. Always block it up with proper cribbing or jackstands.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Don't trust jack stands, I don't use them, but fosman77'sapproach is the best I've seen here.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:12 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

+1 on the wood. I usually drive up onto some stacked 2x8s (usually 3) to change the oil and such.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 PM
FirePower
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

Don't trust jack stands, I don't use them, but fosman77'sapproach is the best I've seen here.
Um, Fosman's approach is to use blocks under the wheels, which is OK, but then he said to use Jack-Stands. Jack stands are fine IMO. I use the jack AND the stands for safe measure.

I know someone who was stuck with their head crushed under a car for 3 hours when the jack failed. ALWAYS use jack stands.

Metal ramps or wood stacks (!?) are OK but not if you want to rotate the tires or do brakes.

I second the notion the $20 jack-stands from Walmart are the best option.

Quick Reply: Jack Stupid Question :)