Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roush Scoop Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Default Roush Scoop Install

Okay, so I am finally home on leave and installing all the parts I had in storage for the past 8 months of a deployment. I am about to install the roush scoop and have a couple quick questions. One, once I drill the hood, what is the best way to prevent it from rusting?! And two, does anyone have tips on this install process?? I also heard from one of the local paint shops that I could rub axle grease on the holes and a little on the screws and that will prevent it from ever rusting. Just asking to see if anyone else had better ideas.
If I overlooked a thread on this, please forgive me. I need some help though. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:36 PM
searay2006
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Roush Scoop Install

The hood on the S197 is made of aluminum it won't rust. The mounting screws should be of stainless steel. When I mounted my plates for the hood pins I drilled holes , used stainless rivits and filled the holes with silicone from under the hood.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I used left over caliper paint to cover the holes. Then I used the same paint and painted over the screws. Recommend you do a quick search on roush hood scoop by using the search tools above. There are some great threads on this topic. Some you should read before you embarck on this one. Welcome back.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

I used the search tool. Too many posts for me to read through and my question seemed pretty specific. Sorry, not trying to be an @ss, I am just short on time because I get the lovely pleasures of returning to the place I just left.....and very soon. Thanks for the responses!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Cryptic,
I'll be honest with you. I did not put anything on the drilled holes, or on the bolts. That was about six months or so ago. I had the scoop back off two weeks ago to do my stripes, and saw no trace of any issues.....

Specific tips;
Measure 8 times, drill once....Make sure you cover the engine compartment with a sheet, blanket, plastic, something. The hood is aluminum, and the shavings go absolutely everywhere....The Roush instructions say to center punch the holes prior to drilling. I do not suggest using a center punch. The hood is very flimsy, and I really believe the hood could be dented as a result. I personally used an awl that is very sharp, and basically hand drilled with the awl through the clearcoat, just a bit into the paint and aluminum, then finished with a pilot drill bit. I then followed with the proper size bit. No dents......

Oh, and after you drill, you WILL have shavings on the top of the hood...Use either an air compressor to blow them off, or, I used a can of the compressed air that is used for computer keyboards....do not brush it off, it will scratch the hell out of your hood.....

Let me know if you have any other concerns....

Mike
Old 02-07-2007, 01:20 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Nice tip on the aluminum shaving remains on the hood. I would hope nobody would actually brush them off by hand.... d@mncouldyou imagine!?
Thanks for the detailed steps, I will ensure to follow them, right after I install my new motor mounts.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:59 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

I was just about to say the same thing about brushing the shavings and no rust. If you take your time and follow the directions then it should be an easy install. Took me about an hour to complete
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
boomerman
1st Gear Member

It is a very easy install but it does kind of make you nervous when you start drilling into a new car hood.
I was nervous drilling my hood but once the first hole was done it was nothing after that.
The next step for me is to make it functional.
Nothing like cuttiing out a hole in your hood, it makes the drilling seem like childs play.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

bman, you got way more nerves than I do... I would love a functional scoop - but its just not the right time for me yet. Let us know how it goes once you cut out the hood. I would like to see pictures too.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
JimC

I'm interested in seeing what you do Boomerman to make the Roush functional since I installed one also this past month.

Quick Reply: Roush Scoop Install