Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Default E-Brake

ALL

I know this has been brought up again and again, I did a search on this and there were like 7 pages of topics. To much to search thru this is faster. I s there any way to fix this problem myself? ie. heat gun,, blow dryer, ect. Thanks all for your time on this.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: E-Brake

Jus bring it to the dealer theres aTSB, thecables have rubber boots where the cable attaches to the rear caliper, the rubber boot is broken casuing water to leak in the cable n when its cold it freezes not realesing the e brake, the only way you would be able to do this yourself is to be new cables n install them yourself, i dont no why you would want to do it urself let the dealer do the TSB its free.
heat gun might melt it but it wont stop water from coming in again.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

my ford just fix my car, it MUCH better! i use to let the car heat up and some times that fix it.

Just find a ford dealer that knows what a TSB is and youll be good.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

All dealers have access to it.

Print it out yourself:

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...%20freezes.pdf
Old 02-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Zellanor
2nd Gear Member

Thanks so much for the help, I had to fix it myself today, but it will be in the shop Tuesday morn. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 PM
longhaul

Thanks! Driving me crazy, made me late for work a few mornings. Frozen solid. Now I park in gear, against a few wood chocks, and leave the brake off....
Old 02-15-2007, 12:21 AM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zellanor

ALL

I know this has been brought up again and again, I did a search on this and there were like 7 pages of topics. To much to search thru this is faster. I s there any way to fix this problem myself? ie. heat gun,, blow dryer, ect. Thanks all for your time on this.
I am confused on what the question is? what bout yer e-brake? but it looks like ya got what ya needed.... hehe
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Are the "new" cables the same? Are they the same with just a different part number? Betcha they are and the problem will occur again.

All cars/trucks use these types of cables. Looks like they are not getting properly lubed from the factory and/or are not routed properly (a dip in the middle that collects any moisture and freezes). I wonder if the new ones have a teflon slieve that precludes lubing.

I think a grease needle and working the existing cable free will be the permanent fix.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Different design so this doesn't happen again.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

It's funny how my old Ford Ranger has e-brake cables with no rubber boots and no rubber casings around the cable, totally exposed to the elements, yet work just fine after years of hard work, off-roading, snow and ice. Alittle WD-40 spray on the cable along its entire length was all that it's seen. Works flawlessly. So much for sealed cables with full length rubber coatings and end-point rubber boot seals. Maybe a heavier return spring might be in order. Or maybe designing a rear disk brake arrangement with a separate drum arrangement for the e-brake that doesn't rely on mechanically moving the caliper piston. I suggest Ford look at the Toyota Sequoia's rear disk brake/e-brake arrangement. Both are separate and work flawlessly.

Quick Reply: E-Brake