Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

roots vs. centri

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: roots vs. centri

Thanks Wally!...I will post numbers and pictures as soon as i get her in!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
07GTgo
1st Gear Member

yeah the roots provide instant boost, but its hp/tq curve are flat...as soon as the turbo or procharger hits medium to high RPM its over, bye bye KB
Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

You can tell who has never had a turbo on these posts... turbo lag is a thing of the past if have the right components for the vehicle. I had almost no lag on my WRX or Suprabecause of the correct setup. I never even had to run the Anti-lag on the WRX.

Don't be scared of the blowdryer. If I could afford it, I would have one on this little V-8. I miss the turbo cars......I need something on my 06, its the slowest car I have had in ages....
Old 02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mygt500

KB has instant boost as opposed to Procharger which requires a little more time to get to boost (not nearly as long as a turbo) hence the difference between the 2 types. I personally want the boost instant and in lower RPM's so as not to be running near redline to get max boost. JMO. check this website out for reference between the two. They are using the whipple and the vortech. Both I find are very reliable and the whipple looks factory when done.http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.htmland this one http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html. Hope it helps in your decision! Great numbers on the dyno with both!
Could you actually try to get some experience with modern turbos before you post? Modern dual ball bearing turbos have NO turbo lag, on my buddies car he has max boost already at 2.1k RPM and he is running a GT40R BB which is considered a rather large turbo. But yeah you are right go with a supercharger so you can start breaking belts and make less hp at every psi level; hell lets not even start on the torque difference. I will bet you anything that a turbo setup at 20 lbs will at least have 100hp/120tq over any sc setup. Remember a SC is a parasadistic power adder; robs hp to make hp.

Andrew
Old 02-11-2007, 09:20 PM
07GTgo
1st Gear Member

just heard of a new foil bearing turbo thats in production that doesnt require lube and has instant boost...just thought id throw that in there
Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Actually turbos are not the question and if I offended your delicate sensibilities about turbos then my bad. Regardless, I guess I was referencing turbos of the past as I have not had one sincehigh school 15 yrs ago. For me it is S/C all the way!The difference between running 10lbs of boost on a S/C is totally different than comparing that to 20 lbs of boost on a turbo. It is comparing apples to oranges.If I ran 450 RWHP or lower on 10 PSI of boost on a S/C with a stock block than why not as I just increased HP/TQ and didn't have to build the lower end as you would to run a turbo with 20 lbs of boost. Two totally different things. So instead of bashing the thread and S/C 'ing just dont post anything if it doesn't help! Start a turbo thread if you want to bash S/C. Please check spelling before you post (its parasitic, not parasadistic) J. P.S. It is much cheaper to replace a belt than it is to replace a motor![sm=exactly.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
ORIGINAL: androdz

KB has instant boost as opposed to Procharger which requires a little more time to get to boost (not nearly as long as a turbo) hence the difference between the 2 types. I personally want the boost instant and in lower RPM's so as not to be running near redline to get max boost. JMO. check this website out for reference between the two. They are using the whipple and the vortech. Both I find are very reliable and the whipple looks factory when done.http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...-3valve46.htmland this one http://www.alternativeauto.com/prods...h-alcohol.html. Hope it helps in your decision! Great numbers on the dyno with both!
Could you actually try to get some experience with modern turbos before you post? Modern dual ball bearing turbos have NO turbo lag, on my buddies car he has max boost already at 2.1k RPM and he is running a GT40R BB which is considered a rather large turbo. But yeah you are right go with a supercharger so you can start breaking belts and make less hp at every psi level; hell lets not even start on the torque difference. I will bet you anything that a turbo setup at 20 lbs will at least have 100hp/120tq over any sc setup. Remember a SC is a parasadistic power adder; robs hp to make hp.

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 AM
caneboy
2nd Gear Member

I'm highjacking this thread.......and there is nothing you can do about it. Hey Androdz im gonna turbo charge my Stang but notsure on which one i want......leaning towards the Hellion ( hope i spelled that right). What do you think?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:38 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Actually turbos are not the question and if I offended your delicate sensibilities about turbos then my bad. Regardless, I guess I was referencing turbos of the past as I have not had one sincehigh school 15 yrs ago. For me it is S/C all the way!The difference between running 10lbs of boost on a S/C is totally different than comparing that to 20 lbs of boost on a turbo. It is comparing apples to oranges.If I ran 450 RWHP or lower on 10 PSI of boost on a S/C with a stock block than why not as I just increased HP/TQ and didn't have to build the lower end as you would to run a turbo with 20 lbs of boost. Two totally different things. So instead of bashing the thread and S/C 'ing just dont post anything if it doesn't help! Start a turbo thread if you want to bash S/C. Please check spelling before you post (its parasitic, not parasadistic) J. P.S. It is much cheaper to replace a belt than it is to replace a motor![sm=exactly.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
ORIGINAL: androdz

Andrew
Sorry to bust your bubble but a turbo at 10 psi will make more hp/tq than a sc @ that psi ask anyone. Also when I said a turbo at 20psi I also was reffering to a s/c at 20psi. And regarding our engines any power added be it nitrous/sc/turbo over 450rwhp (which you easily pass at 10psi) will just result in a blown rod. Hellion really makes good turbo setups; I have seen their work on other mustangs and I have really been impressed. The powerhouse is also nice. Stay clear from the turbonetics kit, I wouldn't use that fuel pump even for the windshield washers. Last but not least sorry mygt500 for the obvious spelling error. I am not perfect and please take into consideration that english is NOT my first language.

Andrew

Andrew
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Wow...it's a pissin' match now. Anyway, I've been going back and forth on these same questions myself, and I was totally sold on the whipple for a while. Now, for ease ofinstall and for not really wanting to spend a ton I think I'm planning on going vortech or possibly a turbo.

From people with experience, is it easier to install a turbo or a vortech? I would of course be going intercooled, or the new alcohol injection thing sounds kinda cool.

I've driven newer turbo cars and people that say that turbo lag is a thing of the past are wrong. Sure, it's not as bad as it was, but there still is a bit of lag. However, with the small amount of boost required to make good power on our GT's, you can run a smaller turbo which will spool up quicker and still make plenty of boost which will also help to decrease the lag. At this point, I'm pretty much sold on the vortech, but would still consider a turbo if the price was right.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

my 2cents....

had a Vortech H.O. S/C installed and custom tuned..picked her up 2/1... 434RWHP.... mild mannered under 2500 (good for cruising around town) a beast above 2500... 20-80 mph in second in about 4 seconds.... seat of the pants.......
not too noisey either... you can hear the S/C @ 1/2 - WOT..... but around town hardly noticed....

Good Luck with your choice!!

Quick Reply: roots vs. centri