Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

western motorsports CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Default western motorsports CAI

I've got the "pony in the stall" for the winter and I've been researching cold air intakes. I see the most popular happen to be JLT, C&L, andK&N but I don't see a lot of Western Motorsports.Why? Is it because it is a more complicated install? Even their "ram air" plate/dam...whatever you want to call it seems to make sense from an isolation standpoint. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the reading I've done as far as I can see, this intake seems to make the most sense as far as placement and temperature differential with respect to ambient.Any comments?

Also...whereis the best place to buy a plenum cover for my 06? Ebay has them for$51 plus shipping. Thanks
Old 02-10-2007, 10:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: western motorsports CAI

51 is going to probably be the best price on the Plenum cover. As for the WMS CAI, the install I guess is a bit more complicated as there is wire cutting involve so you will not be able to return to stock if needed. Gains areclose to the same as C&L, JLT, which are 25-28HP,but should be more than with K&N, only about 16HP, as there is no tune with it.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
STLRedbird
1st Gear Member

As howarmat points out, you must cut the wires to the mass air meter in order to install this CAI, which means you can't go back to stock for warranty work or dealer service. IMO, that one fact keeps it from being a real favorite here. Wait til some of these cars start going out of warranty and you'll see this CAI become much more popular. Here's a link to the install instructions for it you're interested...
http://www.westernmotorsports.ca/wms...structions.pdf

Two things make me think this has to be the best CAI available:
1. Other CAI manufacturers talk about how their air intake tubes improve on the restrictive factory design. What could be better than eliminating the intake tube and feed cold air directly intothe throttle body like this CAI does? This MUST be the least restrictive set up.
2. WMS claims some unquantified ram effect when the shroud is installed. MM & FF in the Oct 2006 issue verified that this shroud is VERY effective at keeping the intake air cold. It just seems to make a whole lot of sense to me to take advantage of the inherent ram air possibilities of a forward-facing throttle body. Once I've recovered from my daughters last tuition payment, I'm going to get this hood:

I'll get the WMS CAI and tune from brenspeed when I can rationalize my need for about 25 rwhp exceeds my need for worry-free sleep. BTW, if you get this CAI, would you mind sharing your installation experience with everyone?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:30 AM
kingsmate20
1st Gear Member

I haven't heard too much on hear about Airaid either, but it rocks. Brenspeed hooked me up. So far it's been better than anything else out there. I think I just got a lucky car, because every one says the TB and AB don't make that big of a difference, but because I'm in the military, Brent hooked me Up!!!!! My baby is running sweet with the 93 tune, with and Airaid. All the CAI run the same, IMO
Old 02-11-2007, 11:05 AM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys for the input! I've just been doing a whole lot of research on the forums trying to figure out the smartest ,(or best bang for the buck)mods to make on my mustang for the summer.

sorry...I'm still a NEWB...I don't get the "51" for the plenum cover
Old 02-11-2007, 11:46 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

I have had the wmsracing CAI for at least a year and a half.Installed it with no problems.Got it with the very first group from WMS had.Started with no tuner and stock 87 oct tune.Much improved response and a little better increase in proformance.Then went with Brenspeed for SCT-2 and his 93 oct tune.That really rocked.Felt like adifferent car.
Last but not least is an upgrade to a Saleen SC with 3.6 pulley 39lb injectors and wmsracing 95mm MAF tube.Completed this end of last October.One of the reasons I went with the Saleen is the WMS bolts right up to it.No modifications or changes(except for the upgraded 95mm MAF) Dyno'd out at 427 rwhp and 404 ft lbs torque.
So if you go this route and plan on going blown then this is agreat way to go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15603/223AD92B10984F56A4BE8D034096B85A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrmngt

I've got the "pony in the stall" for the winter and I've been researching cold air intakes. I see the most popular happen to be JLT, C&L, andK&N but I don't see a lot of Western Motorsports.Why? Is it because it is a more complicated install? Even their "ram air" plate/dam...whatever you want to call it seems to make sense from an isolation standpoint. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the reading I've done as far as I can see, this intake seems to make the most sense as far as placement and temperature differential with respect to ambient.Any comments?

Also...whereis the best place to buy a plenum cover for my 06? Ebay has them for$51 plus shipping. Thanks
Read this.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...e_comparisons/

At the end of the article they ask why Ford hasnt stumbled onto the idea of following GM and others.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I had the C&L True Flow on mine and replaced it with the WMS. The WMS cannot be tested on a dyno, thats not how it works. Besides testing CAI's on a dyno doesnt make much sense to me. I dont drive around with my hood up.

Ram Air is the only way to go.[sm=happy046.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/63450D0E35D44505B47AA57481F7D17B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 AM
rpatyna

Hi I am from Calgary where this system is made, It is an easy install as performs very well, here is my install http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2460665/1 The testing for the system was done at Techmotion and the parts were manufactured In Calgary as well. There is a new sealing kit available that helps the system seal itself from the hot air of the engine even better www.wmsracing.com

Rob
Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 PM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

not sure which plenum cover you are looking for. i got mine on Ebayfor 60 plus shipping from this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem

it installs in less than 2 minutes and looks great.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I personally do not care for the WMS intake. Why?

1. It's expensive and the gains don't justify the increased price.
2. The installation is more involved than most other CAIs. I don't want to cut up my factory wiring harness.
3. Many other cheaper, easier to install, CAIs work just as well if not better than the WMS.

...WMS hypes the "ram air effect" and also the "cold air" benefit. Well, as an engineer I know better than to belive this. I have personally tested the "cold air" claims of several different CAIs, including the WMS. I put a thermocouple into the air intake duct by sticking it into the gap between the filter and the intake pipe, so the tip of the thermocouple was sitting right in the middle of the airstream. I then put an identical thermocouple taped to the outside of the car to record the ambient temp. My buddy checked the temps while I drove the car around.

The results are that pretty much ANY CAI (we testedmy C&L, his WMS,and his oldK&N) delivers near-ambient temp air once the car is moving. The air temps rise when the car is at a stop. But once the car moves beyond about 10 MPH the intake temps drop rapidly. At 35 MPH or above the temps are within a degree of ambient. So, it's not that the WMS doesn't work...it's just that it's no better than the other CAIs as far as air temps are concerned. If you want to check this yourself, use your tuner to log your air intake temps and compare that to ambient. We found no significant difference between these CAIs.

If indeed the WMS intake offered an intake temp drop, and if that temp drop offered more power, then this is where the WMS would really shine on a dyno test. When the car is on the dyno the fan airflow is no better than driving about 10 MPH. At slower speeds is where most CAIs perform poorly as far as air temp goes...and where the WMS would supposedly have a big advantage. Unfortunatley, the WMS dynos in the middle of the pack. More evidence that the WMS has no better cold-air handling properties than most CAIs.

As for "Ram Air"...this isa buzzword that a lot of gearheads love to hear. But the truth is that in reality, a ram air system is notoriously difficult to engineer, and even then they deliver very small gains andonly at high speeds. Most professional race cars don't even run ram air systems becasue the drag created bya properinlet scoop offsets the HP gain it would provide. A forward-facing scoop or duct does NOT make a functional ram air system...it's just a forward-facing scoop. A real ram air system requires a great deal of aerodynamic tweaking to make sure that the air actually enters the duct in such a way as to generate pressure. But, that doesn't stop companies from marketing "ram air" products which almost never work. If you want to read more about this, I suggest the book Motorcycle Supercharging, Turbocharging, and Nitrous Oxideby Haile. Granted this is a motorcycle book, but the chapter on Ram Air is generic for all land vehicles using a piston engine.

The often-touted "straight shot" is likewise a questionable benefit. Yes, the WMS is indeed shorter and straighter than most CAIs. So what? Most CAIs already flow more than double the air requirements of a street engine. There isn't really anything to be gained by the straight shot. If anything, the short fat tube is a poor choice for this engine becasue it's resonant frequency is too high. A longer intake duct will make more power at lower RPMs (which our engine operates at) than a short duct. An intake isn't just a matter of sticking a filter on the throttle body. A properly shaped intake duct, (just like headers) is a matter of matching the correct diameter and length of piping to the operating conditions of the engine. And in my opinion, the WMS intake has nothing special to offer in this regard.

Again, I'm not saying the WMS intake doesn't work. It does. But it doesn't work any better than other popular intakes such as the C&L, JLT, GMS, Tuned Induction, and so on.

Quick Reply: western motorsports CAI