Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

difficulty of headers install

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: difficulty of headers install

so for all you guys that have installed long tubes on your S197, how big of a difference did you feel on you first drive after the install? and then did you go have it tuned for your new long tubes and how much stronger did that make it?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Ditto /\ and how much louder did the car get, with what axle backs? Awesome info so far guys.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 AM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

I have a catted x-pipe with the stingers. My car is a lot louder. I live on a small hill in my town so when I go to work in the early morning I coast down the hill out of my neighborhood out of respect.

The car isn't too loud at idle or under 2000 rpm, but going WOT is pretty loud even with cats. I like loud, but I also like happy neighboors so I don't punch it until I get off my street.

The gain I felt was more or less even with my 4.10s, but that is a seat of the pants judgement. I loaded a new tune into the car as soon as I was done installing so I don't know what it would have felt like without a tune.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Sunshine 07

so for all you guys that have installed long tubes on your S197, how big of a difference did you feel on you first drive after the install? and then did you go have it tuned for your new long tubes and how much stronger did that make it?
I think tunes are recommended if not required for LT installs
Old 02-14-2007, 09:05 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah they're required. as long as you want your car to run well
Old 02-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

so when you guys installed your headers, your car ran like crap until you got it to the dyno shop and had it dyno tunes and re-flashed?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:12 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Sunshine 07

so when you guys installed your headers, your car ran like crap until you got it to the dyno shop and had it dyno tunes and re-flashed?
I think most people have Brenspeed or whomever get a tune ready for them so when they are finished with the install they can upload the tune and right out of the gate they whoopin some tail!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I thought a tune was required when using an O/R pipe to manage the O2 sensors not just for adding headers. The car/computer may not be optimized for headers without a tune but it should run fine without a tune (assuming you're still running cats and have the O2 sensors connected). Am I missing something?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
SRT_what
2nd Gear Member

After I got done installing my headers and cat-less x pipe, I had to take it out for a drive, even though I was still waiting on my intake/tune from Brenspeed. While only driving around my community, it still drove fine for the most part, just had to deal with the CEL. I received the intake/tuner later that day and my god what a difference those mods made over stock. Before, my roommates modded SRT-4 put about 6 cars on me from a roll. Last night I had about a 1/2 car on him by 100, from a 40 roll. Here's a vid of my set-up http://youtube.com/watch?v=2CMZRMXqjtw That's with stock mufflers. Its not too terribly loud, but you can definitely tell its got somethin done to it. I doubt I'll add an axleback, just for the fack that I like the looks on peoples faces when they see the stock mufflers and assume I'm completely stock. Until I work them like its my job.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

No updatedtune is required or even recommended for LTs according to Brenspeed. That is if you already have a CAI and Tune.

Quick Reply: difficulty of headers install