Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:21 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger decision

ORIGINAL: Boostaddict

I agree that the KB is a great kit and the bigger displacement seems like it would be the more powerful kit. However, I personally haven't seen any comparison track times for the KB 2.6L against the 2.3L Whipple.

Also,
Just to clerify the KB is not less expensive then the Whipple if you compare the kits to each other. The 2.6L KB Kit is $5699.00 and does not include any type of fuel system upgrade besides the BAP.So yest it is about $75.00 less than the Whipple kit but the Whipple H.O. Kit in Black now sells at $5775.99. The Whipple does not include a BAP which is valued at about $249 but it does include the Ford Racing GT500 Complete Fuel System which Ford sells for $760.00 or so. So looking at that it's the Whipple that gives the better value. This is not in anyway intended to be a low blow to the KB or to start a KB Vs. Whipple thread but just to compare apples to apples. Cheers!! Jared@Lethal

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

hatchman, i agree, go intercooled or go home haha.

i thought the ford racing one and the whipple one were pretty much the same?

personally, id go with a KB big bore. the 2.6L one. can't beat that kind of displacement for the reasons hatchman said; plus its a little bit less expensive than the whipple, plus the whine.......ohhhh, that whine.......

but really, between the KB and the whipple, your not going to be dissapointed with either; both have reasons to buy, and the choice comes down to personal preference on what you've heard about them.

interesting; thanks for clearing that up, i really didn't know. are both of these prices for intercooled kits?

do you know if there is any kind of tremendous performance difference between the 2, any other differences such as heat soak vulnerability, or otherwise?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger decision

+1 for me on centri's - stay out of the boost at low rpm's. get a non-intercooled kit and add methanol injection instead for @ $300

if you choose to go with a roots definately get an intercooled system since it's pretty much integral, not an add-on so much as the centri types.

it's really a personal preference, but a centri kit w/ injection will cost you easily 2-3 grand less than a roots/screw type. keep in mind also that over 450hp or so these motors are time bombs and that's a fact. naturally the "mine is holding up just fine" guys will chime in now, but really - do YOU want to be that guy posting the next blown motor thread? For what you save on a centri you now have the $$ for other supporting mods, or stash it away for a new bottom end, which can be had for about that 3k

just another angle