Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Launch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Launch?

Hello guys I need some tips on how to lunch my car from a dig. I have 4.10's with 20 inch wheels. Help me here please.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Launch?

PR, is your mod list in your sig complete? Becasue if it is, you've got several things working against you:

1. You have 20's. That means your tires have a small sidewall, and thus very little flex. This hurts you at launch.
2. Your car is lowered, and I don't see where you have any LCA relocation brackets. If this is true, then it means your instant center is way off, which also hurts you when you launch. When this is properly set it actually presses your tires into the road when you accelerate. On a lowered car without the proper corrective parts (LCA relocation brackets and adjustable LCAs) your car is having the opposite thing happen. When you accelerate it's actuallypulling the rear tires up. This will greatly hurt your traction.
3. You have low gears, which is applying a lot of force to your tires...and if you don't have good traction due to the above issues,this makes things even worse.

Your 20's are fine, it just means you have to pay extra close attention to your suspension. First thing I would do is get some LCA relocation brackets and some adjustable LCAs. Set your pinion angle and your instant center correctly. With your suspension properly set you will get MUCH better traction. You might also see if you can get some adjustable shocks like the D-specs and run a little softer valving in the front, which will allow better weight transfer to the rear and that also will help your launch.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:23 PM
PRGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok I just bought the Adj. LCA but not installed yet. A friend of mine is giving me a Detroittrue-trac differential he told me this isgivingbetter traction too.DoI need relocation brackets too? What rear tire should I buy?
Old 02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

The LCAs will definatley help. But the LCA relocation brackets are really the critical thing on your car, in my opinion. You will be suprised how much they help.

The Truetrac is a great diff, but it's key benefits are increased traction on less-than-ideal road surfaces, in curves, and for sheer durability. From a dig on a good road it's not much better than the stock diff.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:09 PM
MIKE562
2nd Gear Member

For some reason, I always seem to be amazed by the knowledge of CrazyAl.....
Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

the stock diff is fine

+1 iv learned alot from crazyAl' s posts[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
07GTgo
1st Gear Member

+2...he might be a mustang encyclopedia
Old 02-15-2007, 11:53 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MIKE562

For some reason, I always seem to be amazed by the knowledge of CrazyAl.....

...was thinking the same thing earlier but didnt post on it..
Old 02-16-2007, 01:40 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

my GT is stock w/ 18' wheels. my one way of taking off is w/ tcs off at 3-3300rpm and i "quickly" release the clutch then feathery the clutch at the top for a second and boom, a little bit of wheel spinn and TRACTION (a quick burn out 1st helps a whole lot)

Being that its been so cold and my car at it best w/ the colder air, the tires are also much colder so ive been launching w/ tcs on (the car will spinn up top now) I pretty much do the same thing and if i do it right; TCS will kick but it will not take away my power...
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Is the stock axle 31 spline?

Quick Reply: Launch?