Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sleeper vs. "Let it be Known"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Sleeper vs. "Let it be Known"

I know I'm running the risk of getting flamed here, but I'm really having a tough time trying to figure out what the point of this thread is, and what the underlying message is by some that have posted. It's all personal taste, and what goals you have for your car, whether they're appearance mods or performance mods. My goal for my mustang is to make it "MINE", not to impress or satisfy anybody else's opinion of it. Do you want a "sleeper" so when you get up to a light, the guy next to you won't know what you have under the hood? Are you trying to tell me that you regularly participate in and condone street racing? Take it to the track, man! No matter what it looks like, the proof will be who gets to the finish line first... always!

I had an 03 V6 coupe that I modified, both with performance and appearance mods. It wasn't the fastest car on the road, nor did it have radical body kits. I never intended and never did take it to the track. It's not what I wanted for my car. It was my personal project, andthat carwon many awards at car shows, and was featured recently in a Mustang mag.

The bottom line, therewill ALWAYS....ALWAYS be acar that's faster than yourssomewhere. Just have fun and make the car your own! AND, if you want people to know what you have under the hood, and you enjoy that part of the hobby, more power to you, BUTPLEASE take it to the track where it belongs. Just my 2 cents.....
Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 PM
therobman7
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony Ride

I know I'm running the risk of getting flamed here, but I'm really having a tough time trying to figure out what the point of this thread is, and what the underlying message is by some that have posted. It's all personal taste, and what goals you have for your car, whether they're appearance mods or performance mods. My goal for my mustang is to make it "MINE", not to impress or satisfy anybody else's opinion of it. Do you want a "sleeper" so when you get up to a light, the guy next to you won't know what you have under the hood? Are you trying to tell me that you regularly participate in and condone street racing? Take it to the track, man! No matter what it looks like, the proof will be who gets to the finish line first... always!

I had an 03 V6 coupe that I modified, both with performance and appearance mods. It wasn't the fastest car on the road, nor did it have radical body kits. I never intended and never did take it to the track. It's not what I wanted for my car. It was my personal project, andthat carwon many awards at car shows, and was featured recently in a Mustang mag.

The bottom line, therewill ALWAYS....ALWAYS be acar that's faster than yourssomewhere. Just have fun and make the car your own! AND, if you want people to know what you have under the hood, and you enjoy that part of the hobby, more power to you, BUTPLEASE take it to the track where it belongs. Just my 2 cents.....
Agreed!!! you gotta make the car yer own... plus, they only way your gonna make your car a sleeper is going down to single exhaust and removing yer GT emblems....
Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

thanks a lot... i still dont know what im going to do, but sleeper meaning dont spend too much time into the looks such as body kits and rims and louvers and scoops etc. ill probably just stick to performance, the car looks beautiful how it is from the facotry, i already have 18 inch rims and i have lowerd it, and tinted the windows, its good enough, but not fast enough (lol)
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 AM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Some Mustangs are just for show. Others do a complete engine swap or FI or both and leave everything else stock and then just roll around like nothing has been done. Then there are the show and go Mustangs that go as fast as they look!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:09 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyman

Is there really such thing as a "sleeper stang"????

I mean it is a Mustang...it's not like there is anyone left in the world that realizes these things can make massive amounts of HP...hence the reason we pay a premium on our insurance for having the name "Mustang" on our car....
imo, YES. if some modd evo pushing 400ish AWHP (and you know it modd cuz of its exhuast and intercoolers showing w/ its loud blow of val)

pulls up next to what appears to be a stock 06 Gt and they get to find out the hard way its packing a kb sc making 500whp...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:21 PM
PDXStangDude
1st Gear Member

somewhere in the middle. Want it to look different but not over the top.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

From what I've heard:

A sleeper car is an old piece of crap looking ride that is packing heat under the hood. Something that you would never expect. For example, I went to some show at a drag strip and saw a 10-12 second Jeep Grand Cherokee (way before the SRT8). If you pulled up to that Jeep at a light, you would never have expected it to be that fast - meaning it's a sleeper.

Also, I don't think it has to be old and crappy looking like I stated above. It could be aSTOCK LOOKING 05-07 GT, F-Body, Trans-Am, Civic, etc.... Even though it looks stock (with no fancy cowl hoods, exterior mods etc..), the other party does not expect it to be packing a turbocharger, supercharger, nitrous etc... The other party would be "sleeping" on your ride thinking it's stock and then low and behold you torch the **** at the light. That's what a sleeper is and I'm pretty sure I'm right. Cheers!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

hahahaha, word up man, make my car my own is what i keep getting, so i will do exactly that...
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Just my opinion, but bro, a Mustang is not a sleeper in any way, shape, or form, period. It is built for one thing and one thing only...PERFORMANCE!

If you want a sleeper, buy a Crown Vic, mod the hell out of it but keep it quiet, and then you will have a SLEEPER!

There is no such thing as a sleeper sports car.

Again, all this is just my opinion, and we all know that opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink, LOL!

Lance
Old 02-21-2007, 02:04 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LanceH

Just my opinion, but bro, a Mustang is not a sleeper in any way, shape, or form, period. It is built for one thing and one thing only...PERFORMANCE!

If you want a sleeper, buy a Crown Vic, mod the hell out of it but keep it quiet, and then you will have a SLEEPER!

There is no such thing as a sleeper sports car.

Again, all this is just my opinion, and we all know that opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink, LOL!

Lance

i still think there can be a sleeper mustang. must people jaw would drop if they watch a FORD mustang kick an *** out of a FERRARI at a light.

Quick Reply: Sleeper vs. "Let it be Known"