Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

full bolt ons vs supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:04 PM
BrazoriaStang
1st Gear Member

Default full bolt ons vs supercharger

I have an 06 GT stock. I am trying to figure out what to spend my money on. Lets say that a supercharger will run me5500 at least. I could scrap the supercharger idea and get full bolt ons.
CAI & tune= 600
Underdrive pullies= 200
shorty headers= 300
more aggressive cams= 1000
gears= 200
high flow mufflers= 250?
That's a total of 2550, what kind of numbers would I be running? I'm not looking for crazy power, just something more......the supercharger is still an option but saving 3 grand also sounds nice. I could also slap on a50 or 75shot and injectors and probably run even with a supercharger, and will still have the full time performance gain with the bolt ons....feedack?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: full bolt ons vs supercharger

i was wondering the same thing. I can't decide if i want to save up this summer and not buy any mods, then slap a supercharger on next winter, or just start doing bolt ons....
Old 02-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

If you are patient and have a decent relationship with a performance shop you can and will find a deal or 2 on a forced induction power adder.
either way you will be happy, Just dont get shorty headers they are crap for power for the money you spend on them.
with the list of stuff you are talking about you should get 70 RWHP (just a ballpark figure from what I know), an SC will be between 75 to 250 RWHP depending on type, boost, and intercooled or non intercooled. I hate nitrous systems and at 4 dollars a pound for an average bottle fill it will add up after awhile also nitrous is an instand punch to the motor unlike power adders that come on graduley even if its a fast spool up it will be safer then NoS. Now im sure some nitrous fan will flame me but this comes from my experience with NoS and such over the past 15yrs or so.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Go with the supercharger. Cams are a hell to istall. there are groupbuys every now and then on forced induction. Just keep a look out.

Andrew
Old 02-21-2007, 12:21 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

A supercharger will get you much more power. For that 5500 you could buy the whipple of kenne bell and hve 480 rhwp.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:46 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

personally i like centrifugals w/ meth injection rather than intercoolers.

don't forget installation costs associated with all those parts.

also remember once you go over 450 your stock bottom end is a time bomb - it's a FACT. the "it aint happened to me" guys will say it's all in the tune. they are correct only to an extent - a good tune will only delay the inevitable.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:14 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

also remember once you go over 450 your stock bottom end is a time bomb - it's a FACT. the "it aint happened to me" guys will say it's all in the tune. they are correct only to an extent - a good tune will only delay the inevitable.
I thought the block was good for up to 800 hp and that if was the rods that you needed to watch for.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

I thought the block was good for up to 800 hp and that if was the rods that you needed to watch for.
Thats correct, the block is good for around 800 hp, the I cannot believe its not butter internals are not. With a forged rotating assemply you could hold 500-700hp easily. The trick to the game is to have a wideband when you are boosted. Any spike above 12.3 or 12.5 could spell disaster to any blown engine.

Andrew

Andrew
Old 02-21-2007, 03:20 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

ORIGINAL: sw07gt

Thats correct, the block is good for around 800 hp, the I cannot believe its not butter internals are not. With a forged rotating assemply you could hold 500-700hp easily. The trick to the game is to have a wideband when you are boosted. Any spike above 12.3 or 12.5 could spell disaster to any blown engine.

Andrew

Andrew
When I go turbo I'm getting a forged rotating assembly. So will I be safe running between 500-600 hp?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

As long as you watch your wideband you are ok, What really blows engines up is that they get lean and on a boosted application that is deadly most of the time. The a/f gets leaner because of different octane and changes in the outside temperature. As long as you watch the wideband you should be safe easily of 600hp with a forged assembly. The wideband is one thing you can't go cheap on, dont buy a imitation or an X brand. Buy a good one.

Andrew

Quick Reply: full bolt ons vs supercharger