Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear Whine, Stealerships, Lemon Laws, Etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

Default Gear Whine, Stealerships, Lemon Laws, Etc...

OK, so I developed gear noise(rear-end) at about 2,000 miles, 45MPH+ on deaccelaration.

It wasn't horrible, just annoying, I actually thought it was the carrier bearing, but I was wrong(maybe).

So I waited till my first oil change at 3K, and then made an appt at the dealer.

I took it in Monday at 8AM, I guess my first clue should of been that the "Ford Master Certified" service advisor had no clue that my car had a 2-piece driveshaft when I originally made the appt. I would fireMYSELF ifa laymancalled my company and knew more about precision computer room AC's than me.

Not to mention they won't give me a courtesy car and I have to PAY for a rental?

Monday afternoon message: We have ordered a new ring gear and pinion and should have it ready Tues evening if the parts get here on time.

Tuesday afternoon message: The gearset got here, but we are having a hard time with another car so I expect we will start Wed afternoon, it may run into Thur

Wed: no message or bother to call me at all

Thu: no contact by 4 PM so I call: receptionist-->service guy(let me get Jim for ya)-->few minutes later, woman picks up(Who are you holding for?, hangon)-->minute later(voicemail of Jim, I leave message)-->2 hours and 5 minutes later he calls me at home(I'm sorry it took so long but we are sooo busy, we haven't even taken the cover off your diff yet)
WTF? you haven't opened it up but you ordered a new ring and pinion on Monday?

Today(Fri): no contact by 3:30 so I call because I get off at 4 on Fri(we put in the new gears but it is worse now, we can't figure it out,we should of just left it alone)

OK, you're F'N kiddin me now right?, how bout you pay $500(488) a month for 5 years for a car and then tell me you would leave it alone.

Bottom line is this: This is my first and last Ford I'll ever own, they wonder why they lost billions and layed off over 10,000 last year?
I'm gonna get bashed for this but don't give a shi!
I LOVE THE CARbut never experienced anything like this with Dodge/Chysler.
Someone posted something about " what was you 1st car" andit got me to thinking.
I have owned 1 VW, 1 Datsun, 7 GM's, 8 Chryslers and now 1 Ford.
In the past 15 years I don't think I have had as much downtime with all of these cars combined as I have with my Mustang:
'86 Charger
'93 Sundance Duster
'94 Dakota
'71 Dart(still have)
'95 Neon
'98 Sebring
'03 Dakota(still have)

'88 IROC Z28,<---can't include this since it had more problems in the 1st month

OH, so rant off, LOL.

Does anyone know if I have any legal recourse b4 I reach "lemon law" status? Which I am sure won't take long...

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
Lance

Old 03-10-2007, 12:38 AM
legendlime
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Whine, Stealerships, Lemon Laws, Etc...

Our 2006 Mustang GT Convertible had squeaks, groans, a suspension noise from the right side on bumps, and a diff whine on tight cornering when new...
Instead of stampeding ()to the dealership, I let the car break in a bit...

At 9000 miles, ALL of the noises went away on thier own, including the limited slip whine on tight corners, and it runs MUCH faster besides!!
Maybe Im just lucky...
Otherwise, you need a new dealership, not a new car!
[8D][8D][8D]
Chris
Old 03-10-2007, 01:05 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

this is my 1st ford too and so fair; its been great. Ive had a few minor problems like my ebrake cable froze. It could be the dealer. I take my car to Miller ford on rt 38 in New jersey. Dont know where you live; but i get great service there.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:16 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Sorry Lance, you just got a bad service person. I have had two Crown Vics and two Mustangs and haven't had a problem with either of them. Before giving up on Ford, try another dealer. I have used Koon's in Baltimore, Bob Bell in Glen Burnie and East-West Lincoln Mercury in New Carrolton and have had nothing but good service.

Hope you get your car back soon.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:30 AM
murrelldc

Hey hey no worries.

I got the "Clutch Pack Kit/s" replaced on the rear diff and that fixed the noise. It was in a tsb I saw about whining. Took less than a day to fix....

GL I had it happen around 1000 miles and since getting it fixed it went away.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:57 AM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Have you filled out your CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index)survey yet? If not then you can use that to your advantage. A bad CSI survey can cost a dealership thousands of dollars. They get rebates from the manufacturer for good ones. Also, talk to the service manager, if you get nowhere there then ask to speak to the general manager of the dealership or owner. You have had to pay for a rental car but now it looks as if its time for the dealership to cough up those costs otherwise you will be sending a letter to the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) There are so many sources of recourse the consumer has over a dealership. No worries mate, the ball is in your court...
Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

A new dealership sounds like the way to go, but I am running out of dealers within a reasonable distance.

I am already at a different dealership than where I bought it, because the original dealer p!ssed me off by trying to slide a 6 year loan for $15 less per month under my nose, when I already had 5 year financing from Cap One( I ended up getting a hell of a deal, their loss).

So shortly after I bought the car, I went to the current dealer, and purchased the 3 year premium maintenance plan for something like $820 or $870, can't remember for sure.

Then, when I brought it in for the 1st oil change, and made the appt for the gear noise, and was informed that they wouldn't give me a free courtesy car(pathetic), I purchased the 3 year 36K rental plan for $230.

I don't even have the option of taking it back to the original dealer, because, get this: The current dealer who has my car bought out and shut down my original dealer on Monday, LOL.

How do I know this? A buddy at work had his truck in for work at my original dealer on Monday, they called him and told him they thought they knew what the problem was, but they had to put his truck back together, and to come pick it up, because at 5PM, the doors were shut forever.

He now has his truck at a dealer about 30 miles from me, I asked him to let me know how it turns out.

So far, Ford has been a comedy of errors, of course, I didn't get any of the negative comments about the dealer who has it till I had already dropped it there. I did have one and only one positive comment, but then again, she bought a Subaru. One guy said he wouldn't take a tricycle to them, LOL.

Stay tuned, this is bound to get better.
Again, to reiterate, I LOVE THE CAR, but my first Ford exp is making me never want another one.

Gear whine started at 2K miles, very slowly but progressively worse, now at 3.5K miles.

Any advice is appreciated and sorry for the long post,
Thanks,
Lance
Old 03-10-2007, 03:41 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Yeah, but more importantly....you still drive a '71 Dart??
Old 03-10-2007, 03:52 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

The Dart I bought in '97 after it sat in an ole ladies driveway for 10 years after her husband died. I drove it daily '97 to '99, parked it in '00. I only have the brakes left to do(can't find a proportioning valve), and then it goes back on the road as my beater car to and from work.

Reason?...It gets better gas mileage than my Dakota and 'Stang put together, plus I want to keep the miles down on those two.

Last time I started it b4 Dec 06 was probably 2-1/2 to 3 years, took me a good 1/2 hour to get it started, lots of gas and ran thru 2 batteries(alternator was shot when I parked it). Once I did get it started, it sat there and idled like it was new( I did rebuild the carb in '97).

Later,
Lance
Old 03-12-2007, 10:37 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

WooHoo! 8 days and still going!

You guys have got to help me out, esp any Ford Techs.

Is there any advice I can give these jokers to get my rear-diff gears done right and my car back to me?

I have only seen a couple posts other than mine about gear whine and the cars were only at the dealer 1 day...one guy had to take his back a 2nd time.

And they never replaced, just did backlash adjustments.

These guys brought in a new gearset b4 they even opened it up.

Someone posted on another thread about a TSB but no number.

Got more negative comments today from people that have dealt with this dealership, lucky me!

This evening's excuse is that they still can't get them adjusted right.

HELP!

Thanks,
Lance

Quick Reply: Gear Whine, Stealerships, Lemon Laws, Etc...