Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What is it with chevy owners alwas talking smack?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What is it with chevy owners alwas talking smack?

Everyone talks smack and that is just the way it is and always will be. Chevy talks smack, Ford talks smack, and Mopar talks smack.

As for F-bodies vs Fords. Well the difference is that in recent generations of Camaro and Mustang, there have been really only two levels to the Camaro and there are three to the Mustang.

The Mustang has the V6, the GT, and the Cobra. Camaro has the V6, and the Z28/SS. Now some Camaro faithfull will say that the Z28 is the mid levelbetween the V6 and the SS, but the Camaro faithfull will also point out that the Z28 and the SS had the exact same engine and despite different power claims from the factory often dynoed exactlythe same.

So people often go about comparing the Mustang GT with the clearly more powerful Z28s and SSs, when they should be comparing them to the Mustang Cobras. The Mustang Cobras have been able to hold their own against F-bodiesfor quite a while. Even the 96-98 Cobra had 305hp/300 ft-lbs which was a direct comparison to the LT1 rated at 305hp/325 ft-lbs. Later the new edge Cobras had 320hp/317 ft-lbs and Mach1s 305hp/320ft-lbs compared fairly well to the LS1 Camaro SSwith 325hp/350ft-lbs. Finally the terminator Cobra had 390hp/390ft-lbs which destroyed the LS1 GTO, and compared directly to the LS2 GTOs with 400hp/400ft-lbs.

From all those numbers, Chevy stillhad the edge with the power (and particularly torque), but that is because they are running 5.7L+ engines, but the edge isn't really that big. The big discrepancy in power/torque between Ford and Chevyis apparentwhen you start comparing top-of-the-line Camaros with the middle of the road 2V/3V Mustang GTs (and even some of them can hold their own). Furthermore, the Mustang Cobras, Camaro SS, and GTOs were all similarly priced, which was and always will be moreexpensive than the GT. The only "exception" is theShelby CobraGT500, but we will see what the next Camaro SS costs with dealer markupsina few years and compare them then.

I would love to have a larger power plant in the Mustang, but the smaller 4Vmod motors have been getting the job done nicely even with a 1.1-1.4L handicap in displacement. Bottom line is that Ford is doing just fine with the Mustangs IMHO.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chupac

I'm also a Chevy owner, also an ex GM tech. I've got to say my stock GT feels faster than most of the other stock GM muscle out of the factory, (other than the Vette). The dealership at which I worked was on of the largest in the Southwest so we got all the so called special cars an I had the opportunity to drive just about everyone that came out at the time (until late 2001). As far as the smack talking it's a Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar thing. We just need to put the ls1 people in their place every chance we get...
I with ya there. They are nothing to play with, but i'm game. I've beaten 2 before, and i've lost to 1. I'm always up for an LS1 race.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:22 AM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

I think mod for mod the 3v will always take the ls1. the only problem is the ls1 is always cheaper and easier to mod.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

I am a GM guy. Plain and simple. Most of the stangs made between 1970 and 2004 were not my cup of tea in the least. The 99-04 was tempting, but still just did not drive anywhere near how a modern car should.

If GM made a GTO that actually looked and performed like one, I would have been all over it. I have a 67 goat and would have loved to drive a new one every day. Even a camaro would have been nice.

I am into some of the mopar stuff too, but the idea of a 4 door charger with an automatic urks me.

The mustangs looks right, sounds right, performs well, and is priced at a point that I can close my eyes to its faults.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:53 PM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chupac

Both car lines were killed so they could bring them back and try to rekindle the interest in them. I wonder why Ford never thought of that. Oh yeah they didn't need to.
don't kid yourself. Mustangs are hot now, and were hot during the 60s-70s but from the 80's till 99, they're pug fugly.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: classj

I am a GM guy. Plain and simple. If GM made a GTO that actually looked and performed like one, I would have been all over it. I have a 67 goat and would have loved to drive a new one every day. Even a camaro would have been nice.

The mustangs looks right, sounds right, performs well, and is priced at a point that I can close my eyes to its faults.
Glad I'm not the only one. Crying shame GM is putting GM people into Fords but if they didn't pay so much attention to the bean counters and paid more attention to what people want, like Ford did, they would be in a lot better shape. Sadly for them, other than I wish it had a little more power, I am still yet to find anything about this Mustang GT that I don't like. Normally by now I would have picked a new car apart with things that irk me but so far, nada.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 AM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure there are a few things that will erk me but I can deal with it because, this car is FUN AS H**LL!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

I've only raced one ls1 and KICK IT A$$. but i know for a fact the kid messed it up trying to modd it. for one, it had no exhuast; so it sound nice till he went WOT; i can hear it was sick...plus 3 ppl in a 4.6L should not be beating an 5.7L ls1 w/ 1 person...

I'm pretty sure the SS and ws6 are FASTER then the stang. Not going to fight that one, but imo thatS why ford made the mach1, svt cobra and the new gt500. those cars are top of the line mustangs. so like some body else all ready said when you take the top of the line mustang and ls1...COBRA comes OUT on top.

but truth be told, that new z06 is the baddest "race" car you can buy for the money; OMG I LOVE THAT CAR!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnnyv8

I'm pretty sure the SS and ws6 are FASTER then the stang. Not going to fight that one, but imo thatS why ford made the mach1, svt cobra and the new gt500. those cars are top of the line mustangs. so like some body else all ready said when you take the top of the line mustang and ls1...COBRA comes OUT on top.

but truth be told, that new z06 is the baddest "race" car you can buy for the money; OMG I LOVE THAT CAR!
+1

Chevy guys always like to pick on the Mustang GTs for a lack of power, but hardly ever mention the Mustang Cobras.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

It's called selective amnesia...

They always forget about the comparable models (cobras)...lol

It's true, they are always talking smack on the GT but seldom mention the terminator stock for stock when comparing factory powerplants.

Everyone talks smack but you goota love the mustang guys for at least talking smack with high hopes...lol

A mustang guy will talk about being able to spank a bigger displacement motor car and they GM guys brag about being able to spank the slowest models in the competitor class. It would be like if we talked smack about being able to spank the Cavalier...lol

This is one of the reasons the mustangs urks them so bad also. The fact they have the factory displacement where we feel we 'SHOULD' be is what urks us.

Quick Reply: What is it with chevy owners alwas talking smack?