Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

09 Camaro vs. Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Rock36
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 09 Camaro vs. Mustang GT

I mentioned this on the other thread about Chevy guys talking crap.

Every one acts like the Mustang GT is supposed to compete directly with the SS and Z28 Camaros, and they aren't. That is the territory of the Mustang Cobras. Even when the GTO first came out, the car magazines compared it to the Mustang Cobra, and not the Mustang GT. Mostly because of price similarity.

The powerplants for the new camaro have not been picked yet, but the rumors are pointing towards the new LS3 engine. You are NOT going to see an LS3 powered Camaro for anything less than $35K.

I have also heard they might put a 5.3L in the Camaro as a mid level V8 option. The same one they put in the new Impala SS, and Monte Carlo SS. That engine makes 303hp @5400rpm and 323 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm. BTW don't those numbers look very familiar?????????If there is a mid level 5.3L V8 that would be the Camaro to compare to the Mustang GT. It is just like all the people that try to compare the Mustang GT to the Charger SRT-8 when they should compare it to the Charger R/T.

I also pointed out that the 2002 Camaro SS cost more 5 years ago than a brand new S197 Mustang GT does today.

Finally, I'm sorry, but the LT1 Camaro wasn't as fast as a S197 GT. It just isn't.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:31 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

Ford DOES have a new engine up thier sleve (OHC5.0)that will make 340hp (as ours makes 300, yeah). So maybe it will be 300hp to the wheels. The camaro will be more expensive but that will not make u feel any better if you get waxed by one in a race. The new camaro will not be a joke, but when is the last time chevy produced a car better then ford??? Many of you seem to have ridden in an older camaro (90ish +), they ride like covered wagons. They may have a slight edge in a straight line, but chevy will mess it up some how. BTW, the camaro will not have 20+ inch rims from the factory. It will be on 17-18s just like ours. Stock for stock we probably will get beat, but even if you mod you have better know how to drive your car or you could lose with 350rwhp. I have beaten quite a few camaros in a stock 03 GT and a stock 04 Mach 1. Its all about how you drive. Enjoy the cars man.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rock36

I mentioned this on the other thread about Chevy guys talking crap.

Every one acts like the Mustang GT is supposed to compete directly with the SS and Z28 Camaros, and they aren't. That is the territory of the Mustang Cobras. Even when the GTO first came out, the car magazines compared it to the Mustang Cobra, and not the Mustang GT. Mostly because of price similarity.

The powerplants for the new camaro have not been picked yet, but the rumors are pointing towards the new LS3 engine. You are NOT going to see an LS3 powered Camaro for anything less than $35K.

I have also heard they might put a 5.3L in the Camaro as a mid level V8 option. The same one they put in the new Impala SS, and Monte Carlo SS. That engine makes 303hp @5400rpm and 323 ft-lbs @ 4400 rpm. BTW don't those numbers look very familiar?????????If there is a mid level 5.3L V8 that would be the Camaro to compare to the Mustang GT. It is just like all the people that try to compare the Mustang GT to the Charger SRT-8 when they should compare it to the Charger R/T.

I also pointed out that the 2002 Camaro SS cost more 5 years ago than a brand new S197 Mustang GT does today.

Finally, I'm sorry, but the LT1 Camaro wasn't as fast as a S197 GT. It just isn't.

I rest my case...LOL; cant put any better then that; NICE.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

GM is still on the friggen fence about the Camaro, Chrysler might not even bring the Challenger out because Daimler-Benz might pull the cash cow cord out of them...the Caravan won't same them this time around.

As I mentioned in another thread/post...Autoline Detroit stated that it's a known fact that GM or DC can't build an equivalent car to the S197 at it's price, and it's almost guaranteed that they will cost as much as 10K more.

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again...E.T.'s, drag racing, etc means jack s*$% to a lot of people like myself. I'd rather have my car break the stigma that other stangs have, and that is to make it into more of a corner carver. There's more to enjoying a car than going in a straight line with haste.

L8tz
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

And I've said it before, and I'll say it again...E.T.'s, drag racing, etc means jack s*$% to a lot of people like myself. I'd rather have my car break the stigma that other stangs have, and that is to make it into more of a corner carver. There's more to enjoying a car than going in a straight line with haste.
+1. Dropped off my car this morning for a little work at a performance shop. Talked about my future plans for the car. "The only time it'll see the track is from the parking lot. Within the next couple of years all I really have in mindis getting it to handle wellin the twisties." The CAI/tune gave me all the power I was looking for. Can I get it to 350Z/RX-8 handling performance? Don't know, but it'sgoing to be funtrying.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:32 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

Hot rod mag is reporting that the base model will see the LS2's or 3's but the Z28 is getting a mac daddy engine. If you get HotRod, check the one that just came out. Ford is really going to have to step up its game and I can only suspect that they are not going to lay down and take it.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

s/c or turbo with a forged bottom end with little extras like fuel pump, spark plugs, 90mm maf, injectors. problem solved
Old 03-18-2007, 11:59 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

Seriously, right now, nothing seems to be for sure about any of the cars for 09. I mean that both GM/Chevy and Ford alike.

Besides, if you ask me, I really don't care if my 2005 Mustang GT (if it were stock) couldn't beat a 2009 Camaro (stock). I would hope stock for stock that a car could be a stock car 4 years older then it.

Lets just wait and see what Ford does. Maybe this is Fords plan. Let all this hype go on about the new camaro or challenger....whoopie freakin do. Maybe they are keeping quiet for a reason. Wait and see, wait and see. [End Rant lol]

Besides, our cars look better ha.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i agree with the above post! besides there will always be a faster car no matter what... hell ive been beaten by a 10 second civic before!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

i heard Ford was planning on a resdesign for the mustang in 09?...
they're new line was going to be something called the "hurricane family" with 5 or 6liter engines or something like that..

the camaro is still just a concept...
actual productions always differ from the concepts
same for the mustang... i remember the concept pics of the 05 mustang were also a little more "futuristic" than the ones we drive nowadays.

Ford will always be the pioneer for the modern day muscle car. nothing chevy can do about that.

Quick Reply: 09 Camaro vs. Mustang GT