Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

remove factory cs/gt sticker

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
06supercharged
1st Gear Member

Default remove factory cs/gt sticker

would like to remove sticker with out any damage to paint . Anyone done this?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:52 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: remove factory cs/gt sticker

to each his own but why in the hell would you want to take off that sticker? they look sooooo nice on there IMO
Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't reccomend altering a limited production car too much, but if you want to do this, it's easy. Just use a hair dryer on one small section at a time, being careful not to heat the paint too much.... just enought to get the adhesive soft. Start at a corner and work your way down until it's done. Use a bug/tar remover or a good cleaner wax to remove any residue afterward. If you've already done a complete finish treatment on the car (clean, clay, polish, wax) before removing the sticker, you'll have to do it again so the outline of the sticker won't show in the paint finish.

But my advice to you... leave the GT/CS stripes on the car.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

just my .02, that is a crazy idea. That would be like removing the striping on a GT500 or something. i would leave it, but to each his own
Old 03-13-2007, 03:00 PM
nick_svs
1st Gear Member

If you listen carefully on a quiet morning, you can hear the resell value in 06supercharged's car. "thud"

I wouldn't recommend it, either. Why'd you buy a CS if you wanted to take the stickers and such off?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:34 PM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

In all honesty a California Special wont bring much more resale than a regular GT.I personally thought the CS was an overpriced upsale.The supercharger is what will sell his car.The guy asked how to take it off, not your opinion of if he should do it or not. Being a new car, the badging is just vinyl, most likely if you get a corner up enough to get your fingers under it and just slowly pull, you will likely get it all in one swoop. As stated above, you should clay bar the areas afterward to get up the residue of the adhesive and then put down a nice layer of natural wax to fill in the pores of the paint which werent protected under the vinyl.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
nick_svs
1st Gear Member

I can't see a supercharger helping the car retain its resale value. It'll be worth more because the cost of the modifications cost more, but a lot of people won't touch a vehicle like that under the assumption that it's been raced and you can't trust the reliability. I wouldn't. I'd rather buy a daily driver and modify it myself.

I disagree about the resale value. Short term you're probably right, but in even 15 years my GT will be just another Mustang GT. If I won't sell it to somebody, then chances are his wife's sister's friend's cousin has a GT that he's willing to sell. They're everywhere. The GT/CS won't be around forever, so over time will likely retain its resale value better.

All that said, you could always just buy another set of GT/CS stickers. If you decide to resell later, then put the stickers back on and nobody will know. It's dishonest, but they're probably just vinyl anyway--like you said.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

Luckily they WILL retain their value and desireability for longer than most of Fords other products...one of the reasons I bought my car...if I HAD to sell it, with low km's, I could get most of my money back in the next couple of years...but who'd wanna sell anyways right? lol!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Pony Ride
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nick_svs

If you listen carefully on a quiet morning, you can hear the resell value in 06supercharged's car. "thud"

I wouldn't recommend it, either. Why'd you buy a CS if you wanted to take the stickers and such off?
I agree... why buy a Special Edition car only to remove stuff that created the value and uniqueness of an SE just to modify and race it (from reading your sig). Should have gotten a bare bones GT for that, but it's your $$.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony Ride

I wouldn't reccomend altering a limited production car too much, but if you want to do this, it's easy. Just use a hair dryer on one small section at a time, being careful not to heat the paint too much.... just enought to get the adhesive soft. Start at a corner and work your way down until it's done. Use a bug/tar remover or a good cleaner wax to remove any residue afterward. If you've already done a complete finish treatment on the car (clean, clay, polish, wax) before removing the sticker, you'll have to do it again so the outline of the sticker won't show in the paint finish.

But my advice to you... leave the GT/CS stripes on the car.
Will this work on those crappy dealer decals they love soooo much. I would just get the dealership down here (I've since moved) to take it off, but I'd rather do it myself since I don't like them putting their grubby greedy hands on my girl.

Quick Reply: remove factory cs/gt sticker