Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sold my LS2 GTO for a Mustang GT...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Sold my LS2 GTO for a Mustang GT...

I gots a TURBO!![:-]
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Black06GT40324
3rd Gear Member

I just got my BBK throttle body put on . . . on top of all the mods in my sig, and its a good 8-10 rwhp more. . . and i've run 13.0's without it. . . so I don't think a goat can get you 12.9's in stock form, but its rare if you do, and that is what I'm about to run in my stang, the new stangs are very consistant btw . . . i may even get a 12.8 . . . but i won't put that down until i do it =)
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 PM
likemike99
2nd Gear Member

getting new gears, cai & tune, headers and pulllies will make the car jump. getting a KB or whipple would be my choice in the supercharger. they are both complete kits and give you alot of hp throughout. the procharger, paxton and vortec give more top end hp so I would not choose them for what you are looking for. It really depends on how much you really want to spend and what you future goals are. if you just want to wake the car up the bolt ons are alot cheaper and give you money left over for some suspension work. if it is HP,HP,HP. then go s/c
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Bulitt
2nd Gear Member

Get all the mods that are in my sig. and you can run with the 6 liter goat i just raced one last night he jumped early but as soon as i put the gas to the floor i pulled him by a little less than a car and it stayed that way till i shut it down which was about 130 mph first one i have ran and must say they do run good so start modding and roast the goat
Old 03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

uhmmmmm i dont get it, whats the point in selling your car and getting a slower one than the one u had be4 and then modding the slower one to try to be as fast the one u sold
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would get an intake and tune from brenspeed and see how you like it. It really does make a noticeable difference.

If this isn't your daily driver then by all means get the blower. If it is your only vehicle then be sure you have the means to replace the motor if it decides to take a dump. I have the cash for any blower, but I can't see putting one on my only transportation, so i'll probably wait awhile. We need a few more years to see how long these supercharged 4.6's last. I need my cars to reach atleast 100k, i'm not sure that's possible with a blower. Even with the bulletproof saleen from jdm.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:42 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

uhmmmmm i dont get it, whats the point in selling your car and getting a slower one than the one u had be4 and then modding the slower one to try to be as fast the one u sold
Likely the same reason that I am now driving the first Ford I have ever had. There is just something about that damn GTO that sucks. Its got a negative ora around it or something. I went and looked at one and wound up coming home in a Mustang. The 100 HP sure would be nice but it doesn't balance out against the negative gut feeling you get if that 100 HP is surrounded by one of the most hated GM cars produced in a LONG time. So what do GM fans like myself do when we want something sporty with back seats and two doors? We go with the only game in town, the Mustang GT.

Don't fret dude. Normally by now I would have picked this car apart about all of the things I don't like about it. But, to tell you the truth, the only thing I have found is the fact that the car is a Ford. They did a damn good job on this car and I have no complaints. Ya, it's not as fast as the GTO but it looks damn good, it sounds awesome from the factory, rides good, has an excellent feel AND there's no freaking skip-shift to contend with. How often are you actually going to run the **** out of it on the street? Here and there ya, but even if you win, you still got people pointing and laughing at that ugly-*** body on that poor car. When the Camaro finally gets here, you go buy one of them. Until then, go with what's here now. That's what I'm doing and I feel less and less guilty about sleeping with the enemy each day. It's a nice car and a great all-around package..
Old 03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
dawater

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Bulitt, I think I'm leaning towards your suggestion with the bolt ons. I just dont want to look back andrealize that I've spent $3-4k on 40 hp when I could've spent $4-5k on 100+ hp with a supercharger. As far as this being a daily driver--it is 2/3 of the time. I have another vehicle, but its already quite modified and even less practical (Its a '93 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser with a lift, ARB air lockers, 4:88:1 gears, 35 inch tires, 12 mpg, etc). I don't really care too much about gas mileage, but I do care about reliability.

I sold my goat because it kept going in the shop (7 times for different problems). I was afraid to modify it andvoid the warranty because things kept going wrong with the car. To make a long story short, I hired a lemon lawyer andGMsaid it wasn't a lemon, but they would settle with me ($5500) and let me keep the car (and full warranty). I sold it (and yes I even gave the new owner all the warranty receipts). After what I'd seen trying to get parts for thatrareAustrailian made car, I didn't want another one. I mean, I had to wait a month for an ignition switch.... a month for a rear end... etc.

I wasn't sure where to go from a 400 hp car in the 20-30k price range. I didn't want to downgrade.Thought real hard about getting a03-04 cobra (which is a bit faster), but decided that I'd be happier, longer with the '05+ mustang. I like everything about it more than the goat, except the power.

Is there any one out there that has spent $3-4k on bolt ons, and wished they'd just bought a supercharger for a little more $$, instead?

ORIGINAL: Bulitt

Get all the mods that are in my sig. and you can run with the 6 liter goat i just raced one last night he jumped early but as soon as i put the gas to the floor i pulled him by a little less than a car and it stayed that way till i shut it down which was about 130 mph first one i have ran and must say they do run good so start modding and roast the goat
Old 03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Go with the blower ! u wont regret it ! if u have a screw type blower u can always increase the hp with under 200 dlls (different pulleys) hehe
Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Bulitt and I have the same mods and we talk about a Supercharger all the time, I think we've both decided to put quite a few more miles on our cars before we take the plunge. The cars run with just about anything around here except the Terminators, Z-06's, and Viper. We've ran Camaros, GTO's, and all other types of Mustangs including each other and other 05 and 06 Stangs. We don't seem to have to much trouble with any of the above mentioned cars. We both feel very confident in our engines and the mods we've installed holding up very well, these motors are quite tough. On the other hand the Supercharger power is very, very, tempting. The prices keep coming down and the miles keep piling up on our cars, I'm sure eventually we will S/C ours. Once the S/C's get down to around the 3600.00 to 3800.00 range we'll be ready. We enjoy the power we have now and the cars are a blast to drive, and I don't worry about hurting the motor. Besides there is something about the Brown Truck showing up in front of the house that's just like Christmas year round.

Quick Reply: Sold my LS2 GTO for a Mustang GT...