Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Corsa vs Borla Axlebacks, Need Honest Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

Default Corsa vs Borla Axlebacks, Need Honest Opinions

OK, Corsas cost more but understand they have less drone. FRPP (Borla's) cost less but have drone around 2,000 RPM. So is it worth the extra cash to pay up for the Corsas? Don't want the drone. Also, do FRPP's give the same 12 or so HP Corsa Claims to produce? Do Corsas add HP. Only talking axlebacks. HP is more important to me than noise (although don't want drone).
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: Corsa vs Borla Axlebacks, Need Honest Opinions

I can't speak to the FRPP... but the Corsa's are terrific... zero drone....!!!!! they sound great at 2500 rpm plus...and are quite when cruising... nice deep V-8 tone to them as well... they also have great looking 4" stainless tips....
I swapped them out for a Magnapack due to the drone....

use the search function for tons of comments on this issue.....

IMO... why not spend a few hundy more for no annoying sound... you've got 25-30K spent on the car.....

good luck
Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

i have borla catbacks with o/r hpipe and it sounds AMAZING!!!

i love it, its perfect, i daily drive my car and have no complaints, i just wish it was a little louder though, my LTs will fix that though

the tone is perfect, it sounds like a real mustang :-D
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
FLA Dreadhead
2nd Gear Member

hey kalder i too have borla catback and i was thinkin of gettin an o/r h pipe as well, my question is did you put it on your self or did you let a shop do it, bcuz i would try and tackle it myself but i don tkno if i have the tools and all i have is a jack and i kno a shop could do it easier with a lift...
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
PistolPez73
2nd Gear Member

I have a vert also. I know when I do get an exhaust it's going to beCorsa all the way. I don't want to take any chances with the drone. I have done some research on the drone and from what I found some people have problems with it some don't, it's mostly personal preference.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I believe the consensus on this board is that there isn't much gain in HP from replacing only the mufflers (axle back). Both theCorsa and the Borla (Stinger)mufflers are a straight through design so the HP gain (if any) should be equivalent. So really what we're talking about is the better sound you getfromaftermarket mufflers. I amvery happywith my Corsas. They sound great at idle and when I step on the gas, they bring a smile to my face.I spend most of the time on the highway and I absolutely hate drone so the Corsas are my natural choice.I leave for work at 5:00 amso I'm sure my neighbors appreciate the fact they are not as loud as SLPs. Do I occasionally wish they were louder? On a sunny Saturday or Sunday afternoon, Yes. Am I sorry I bought the Corsas? No way!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

They are many thread, very recent with this discussion so I wold highly suggest just look for 5 minutes.

I have the stingers and like them alot. The price difference is only about $100 so that is not near of an issue as it was before. With a convertable I would say you will hardly notice any drone....I notice none with my windows down. And the drone isnt as bad as some people say as long as the clamps are done properly. If you have a bunch of leaks then you will have more drone. With the radio going or whatever I never notice it. As for gains, you arent getting much if any.....corsa says 12 but not many people can back that up with numbers so I am a little doubtful.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

There can certainly be a drone w/ a vert.. its not as bad w/ the top down... but it does still exisit. that was my experience w/ my magnapack
Old 03-14-2007, 03:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I was saying with the stingers...i dont know how much the magnapack drones to begin with.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

seems that almost all the aftermarket axle backs have a drone ( Corsa's being the only one consistantly w/o) so I'd say generically the issue would be that same regardless of brand

Quick Reply: Corsa vs Borla Axlebacks, Need Honest Opinions