Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

OBX Longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 PM
a1mancurse

Default OBX Longtubes

I am looking into a set of OBX Longtubes for my '06 Mustang GT. They are asking $500 with S&H. Does anyone have these, is this a reasonable price? I searched the forum for OBX and didn't find anything. The sales rep from OBX said they won best new product at SEMA, but I have never heard of them. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:20 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: OBX Longtubes

I have never heard of OBX either.

The price is in line with some of the lower-priced longtube brands. Wether or not it is a good deal will depend on what the kit comes with. Is that just the headers? Or does it also include gaskets, clamps, a new midpipe, and so on? Also, what material are they made out of? Is it plain steel or is it stainless? If stainless, what alloy? Are they coated?

For comparison's sake, a bare-bones set of plain steel Hookers is about $500. That's just the headers & gaskets (no midpipe). A top-of-the-line kit in 304 stainless from someone like Kooks, American Racing, or Dynatech will be about $1200-1400, which includes a midpipe and all hardware. The variance in price depends on if you select an off-road midpipe or one with cats and the exact brand, etc.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 PM
a1mancurse

Wow, Thanks for the info CrazyAl. This is the Item number on Ebay. The description is below as well as a pic. They are Stainless Steel
Item number: 260095636580
Description :
For auction is a new in the box, Ford Mustang GT performance header for the 2005-2007 models using the 4.6L engine. It will fit both manual and automatic models. This header utilizes larger primaries and a long tube design to help produce more hp and torque gains over the stock header system as well as aftermarket shorty headers. This kit includes the downpipes also to help create a smoother exhaust flow to the rear. Comes with everything seen in the pictures below. This header also comes with a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects from OBX.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:18 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Again, I have no experience with OBX, but something is fishy.

If indeed those are stainless--even a cheap grade like 409--then that price is extremely low. If you do get everything pictured in the kit, it looks like they are supplying both a catted midpipe and an off-road midpipe. Both are the "H" type.

I would see if you could somehow contact OBX and find out if the deal is legit. Something seems fishy here....
Old 03-16-2007, 02:13 AM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

There is a guy on Corral.net that put a set on his mustang. He says they fit fine and picked up equal HP to the more expensive brands. Search the forum and you'll find the post. I almost got them but I have plans of going turbo so it would be a waste of money.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:40 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Again, I have no experience with OBX, but something is fishy.

If indeed those are stainless--even a cheap grade like 409--then that price is extremely low. If you do get everything pictured in the kit, it looks like they are supplying both a catted midpipe and an off-road midpipe. Both are the "H" type.

I would see if you could somehow contact OBX and find out if the deal is legit. Something seems fishy here....
I don't think they're catted. Those look more like resonators. When the time comes, I will be picking upa set of these JBA replicas and welding in some cats on the midpipe.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

a1mancurse, I've never had any experience with them either. Are you volunteering to be a 'test dummy' for everyone? LOL
Old 03-16-2007, 10:32 AM
a1mancurse

I'd rather not be a test dummy, budget is too tight. I am doing some more research into the company today to find out who they are. I'll keep you posted
Old 03-16-2007, 11:19 AM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

No personal experience, but this was the topic of conversation on another forum. It seems that they are a cheap copy of another brand and are made in Japan. People have sited fitment issues with them. Most of the reviews i have seen were for honda's and were negative. Do a search on the internet. They look pretty nice and come with resonators, not cats. Seems to be one of those you get what you pay for things. I looked into cheaper headers, but went w/ jba's.......and am not sorry i did. There are several well know brands out there. Cost a little more, but you know they will fit right.......just my 2 cents............good luck.