Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

turbo or super????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:21 AM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

Default turbo or super????

well in october i want to buy a turbo or a supercharger so which one is better??and which turbo or super kit is better?? i want al least 450hp[8D] and i have $5,500
Old 03-16-2007, 05:37 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo or super????

Well for the power level you're looking for, either will do just fine. Turbos are generally more potent, but the install is usually a PITA or very expensive (for a shop to do it). Honestly, if I were looking to stay under 450rwhp..........supercharger. If you're looking to go bigger than that............turbo. If you want to upgrade to bigger numbers later..................turbo.

Also, it depends on your application. Turbos and superchargers (depending on the setup) will make their power differently. Are u lookin just to make a decently fast street car? Or do you intend to gun it at the track?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:48 AM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Well for the power level you're looking for, either will do just fine. Turbos are generally more potent, but the install is usually a PITA or very expensive (for a shop to do it). Honestly, if I were looking to stay under 450rwhp..........supercharger. If you're looking to go bigger than that............turbo. If you want to upgrade to bigger numbers later..................turbo.

Also, it depends on your application. Turbos and superchargers (depending on the setup) will make their power differently. Are u lookin just to make a decently fast street car? Or do you intend to gun it at the track?
well i want a fast street car because this is my dialy drive car, in june im going to move to texas so that means that im going to mexico almost every weekend.a super or turbokit is gong to afect my mpg?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:54 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Either will do fine for what you want. As far as mpg........it will depend on the tune you put on the car. With the right tune you could actually see a slight improvement in your mileage.......a more agressive tune will lower it. Of course, it's hard to get good gas mileage out of a blown GT either way because it's hard to keep your foot off the happy pedal.

If you're gonna do the work yourself, I say just go for the supercharger and call it a day. But if you can get a proven turbo setup for significantly less than a supercharger.........go for the turbo. I make a good 460bhp out of my 4psi Saleen s/c setup, and the car still drives every bit as smooth as it did before the install. You don't really notice its there until you stand on the accelerator. I just think a turbo setup might be a bit of a waste for the power level you're looking for.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:05 AM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

Either will do fine for what you want. As far as mpg........it will depend on the tune you put on the car. With the right tune you could actually see a slight improvement in your mileage.......a more agressive tune will lower it. Of course, it's hard to get good gas mileage out of a blown GT either way because it's hard to keep your foot off the happy pedal.

If you're gonna do the work yourself, I say just go for the supercharger and call it a day. But if you can get a proven turbo setup for significantly less than a supercharger.........go for the turbo. I make a good 460bhp out of my 4psi Saleen s/c setup, and the car still drives every bit as smooth as it did before the install. You don't really notice its there until you stand on the accelerator. I just think a turbo setup might be a bit of a waste for the power level you're looking for.
so how much hp ill get if im going for the turbo if im stock rigth now??? well im not doing th install by and the turbo or super kit is going to be my birthday gift
Old 03-16-2007, 08:40 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

It depends onhow much boost you have for either application as to how much RWHP you will get. Unless you want to change the internals of the motor never go over 450RWHP on either application as they cannot handle it for long ...most people who have either beat on their cars as it is so much fun!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 AM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

It would be a major help if you did a search on these forums. This same question is asked almost every week, and the answers are always the same. You'll find tons of information in here if you just do a quick search and read through some of the previous posts on the subject.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 PM
djohn23

There was actually an article discussing Superchargers and Turbochargers in last month's Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. I have been debating as to which to get too, but I am waiting until September (when I get my year end bonus) to decide which to do.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:21 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Wow, yea this is a question I think most performance people fall into. There are pros and cons for both types of setups but for a street car looking to make only about 450rwhp you can do that with really just about any setup available at this point. As to which would be better for a daily driver friends and I have turbo and supercharged cars we daily drive reliability is the same, performance is the same (with a few exceptions but tht kinda off topic).

Personaly I am doing the new Turbonetics kit on my car, not that it is better than any of the others it is just the one I ultimatly decided on. I have always been happy with Turbonetics products so I stick whith what I have experience with. Hellion also uses Turbonetics turbos and components.

All for the most part are pretty easy for the basic gearhead to install in his/her own garage over a weekend as well, so if you are pretty decent with a wrench you can spend a weekend with some friends and set it up. I would recomend taking it for a custom tune once you are done though.

I do agree with MYGT500 though anything over 450 without building the engine seems to be asking for trouble with these cars.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

blood makes alot of good point. I never owed a sc or turbo car but i would prolly go sc for a couple of reason. At first i hated the whine noise but for now i LOVE it! second is there are a ton of big brand name sc (kenn bell, saleen, whipple, roush, etc).

btw; i know i dont know much on this subject but i was reading from fmff mag on the new big bore sc fron kb. one being the 2.8L sc that suppose to push over 1,000 hp on the 03-04 cobra motor (thats not even the gt500

Quick Reply: turbo or super????