Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ticking noise from the engine and how to make them fix it

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:05 AM
NetComrade

Default Ticking noise from the engine and how to make them fix it

OK, I took the car to a dealer on Wed being pretty sure I hit either TSB 06-4-7, or follow up TSB 06-19-8.

Not hearing back from them, finally caled them today (they never bothered calling me).
They claim that the engine noise is normal in a '3 valve' engine. However, I must say the noise does not sound normal to me. I test drove at least 4 others 2005 other mustangs, and none of them had it. And this one seems to be related to the cooling system, fan, water pump, b/c RPMs usually change and fan sometimes kicks in when it 'clicks.

If this is normal, someone explain to me why it's so loud, and what's normal about it.. If this is not normal, how do I convince them to fix it? Should I ask them to compare the engine running to a new mustang sitting on the floor ?

Any advice appreciated, they reall made me feel like they don't give a ****..

Old 03-17-2007, 03:47 AM
Casey39er

Default RE: Ticking noise from the engine and how to make them fix it

Get use to it...I have had my 2005 GT Since Jan 2005 and it has hadengine ticking since day one.I have had it checked out and nothing can be found wrong. I have about 38,000 miles on it know and have had it Super Charged for the last couple of months. I have run it at the track and around town and it is running just as strong as day one, so i don't pay it no mind anymore.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Racefiend
2nd Gear Member

Are you talking about a click that occurs about every 20 seconds after starting? If so I have the same thing. It is very loud. I only notice it when warming up. Almost sounds like the AC compressor clutch engaging/disengaging. One of these days I'll pop the hood and see where the noise is coming from.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:19 AM
NetComrade

Now that I think about, I kind of agree with "Almost sounds like the AC compressor clutch engaging/disengaging", especially since the RPMs change.
Don't understand why the car would need the compressor when it's freezing outside and the fan inside is off.
Still don't agree that the loudness of the noise is 'normal'.

I think I'll just go into the dealership, start a new one up and tell the mechanic to make mine sound the same
I hate all noises other than the engine noise..
Old 03-17-2007, 06:36 AM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

It probably is your A/C compressor kicking in, I had the same worries a while back, heres the link about it hope it helps you. Link
Old 03-17-2007, 09:41 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

try a different dealer ship. I had a rattle under my dash, yeah it took them 3 days to fix it but they said that had to pull apart the entire dash to find it. Some dealerships are very tough on warranty work, but then again some are very easy going with it.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I get the 20 seconds click or whatever....I would say it is something normal and not worry about it...I never have even thought about it being abnormal.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:40 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The 4.6 is a nice motor but thay do tick, both my 06 auto and 07 manual tick......Actually sounds like a sewing machine at times!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That is the fuel injectors. A click ever few seconds is the AC compressor, but it shouldn't be making any noise if the AC or heater isn't on. Not sure if the heater uses the compressor somehow or not.

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

The 4.6 is a nice motor but thay do tick, both my 06 auto and 07 manual tick......Actually sounds like a sewing machine at times!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

That is the fuel injectors. A click ever few seconds is the AC compressor, but it shouldn't be making any noise if the AC or heater isn't on. Not sure if the heater uses the compressor somehow or not.

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

I believe it does use the compressor with the heat on. I use the 50% floor/50% top vent mode and even though the A/C light doesn't come I can hear the clicking and the car seems to lug down slightly when it engages.

Incidentally, this is the setting that the manual suggests for keeping the windows/windshield from fogging up.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from the engine and how to make them fix it