Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:34 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default Newbie ?'s

Ok, first off I'd like to apologize as this has probably all been discussed at one time or another in one post or another. I'm just TOTALLY green to this kind of stuff, and I'd really like some super-step-by-step type stuff, think like if you were explaining this to your grandmother who didn't know much about cars (all my previous cars were GM, and I never did any performance mods (other than my '79TA, but that wasn't computerized))...

I bought an '06 GT vert stick last week,and it has about 800 miles on it now. I haven't beat on it at all (only wound it up to ~4k or so), and I'm planning to change the oil at 1000 with synthetic, and then start having some fun..

I've ordered some appearance stuff already (Eleanor grille and Cervini's Type II air dam), but I'd like some performance stuff to go along with it. The factory exhaust doesn't sound too bad, but I'm thinking something with a little more growl would be nice. Since it's a vert, I'd really like something with as little highway drone as possible, but I don't know if they make such an animal.

Also, I'm thinking CAI and "tune", but I know NOTHING about this.. Can someone walk me through the process? I'm sure I could install the CAI myself, doesn't seem like it would be that hard, but what about this "tuning" thing? I don't know anything about it.

One last note - I'd REALLY prefer to not do anything that's going to void the warranty, so please keep that in mind when offering suggestions. I have a grand total of perhaps $1500-2000 to play with for performance mods. I don't plan on going to the track with it, and (at least in the summer months) this will be my daily driver, so nothing that's going to make it insane.

Thank you all in advance for the help!!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
03Cobra05GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie ?'s

Frist off...Gratz on the purchase.

Onto mods...well exhaust wise...if you are looking for just an axle-back, I would definitly say JBA or Bassani. I have JBAs axleback, on of the 1st things I did, and its a nice growl and I didn't really notice any highway drone. Tips look great too.

As far as a CAI...I used the steeda back when I did it...but the JLT cai seems to be the most popular. Yes they are easy to install, I did it myself in about 1/2 hr. As far as the tune...you need to get yourself an Xcal2 which will run you about $300-$400. Wherever you get the cai from, try to buy the xcal from, and they will most like include a tune for your car. The best thing to do though is once you do your exhaust mods and cai, take the xcal down to a shop that tunes and let them tune the car....the difference is amazing and the car will feel better.

Another great mod you might and should get is gears. I have 4.10s in mine and it makes a world of difference. Gears will effect your gas mileage so keep that in mind as well. Stock your car should have 3.55s...you can go with 3.73 or 4.10s if you want more aggressive acceleration. Hell you can even go 4.30s lol but I wouldn't.

As far as not voiding your warranty...well thats always an iffy one...some dealers are a little more strict then others. Some will tell you the moment you flash your computer (tune the car) that will void your warranty...others might not since you only added a CAI.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:58 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I understand that Ford Racing also makes CAI's and exhaust, right? If I buy them and have them installed at the stealership, would they give me some type of tune with the install, thus making sure my warranty remains intact?
Old 03-17-2007, 07:48 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Ford will install their CAI and tune. The good thing is it doesn't void the warranty. You can get the Ford Performance package from them.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:50 PM
gloryboy
2nd Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the ford club!!!The way most start is with a cold air intake anda tuner. A tuner is a handheld computer that plugs into the port under the dash on the drivers side to the left of the steering wheel and reprograms the cars computer. It adjusts timing, air/fuel, reprograms for different sized tires, etc...Most popular tuners are the sct and the predator. If you plan on doing somebigger perfomance mods down the line (and need a custom tune), it would begood to know which tuner that shop uses. Most use one or the other but not both. These hand held tuners come with preprogrammed "tunes" to upload to the car once the cai is installed. They usually lean out the a/f and advance the timing a bit to give you more hp and better throttle responce. A cai and a tune is usually good for about 25hp and a nice improvement in throttle responce. As for warranty, the dealer will prob tell you anything you change will void it.(bunch of bs btw)........As far as exhaust, the stock system performs well, 2.5" mandrel bent pipe w/ stock h-pipe.....not bad. For sound, axle back will help, but its very subjective and there is a large selection. For no drone, corsa and gta's seem to offer that.(i'm sure there are others). They are tons of sound clips out there to listen to......check the boards..........anyway good luck and enjoy!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would recommend a CAI (JLT or C&L) from Brenspeed or B amachips and stay away from "canned" tunes that come standard with the tuner. It is almost throwing money out the door without a custom tune. Both tuners above are very knowledgable and can help you out Theservice is great. As for warranty, it will depend on your dealer. Some wont touch you car others dont care. So talk to the dealers around you and get a feel before you start.

Other modsto consider arenew exhaust. Many choices I suggest using the search or justfind a couple posts on the main 2005,2006, 2007 section. I have stingers and they are great.Corsas are the top of the line and no drone at all. Any other axle back is going to have some drone with it basically. The FRPP GTAs are a small step up fromstock and do not have drone either.

These are basic mods that anyone can do basically.This is also good way to start.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:03 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Cool.. Thanks for the info, guys!!