Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Suspension question for Crazy Al or any other suspension expert

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 AM
crusher66

Default Suspension question for Crazy Al or any other suspension expert

I have read several threads on adding an UCA and both LCA's. I have an 07 GT 5-Speed and I will be adding approximately 40-50 HP. This car is not a daily driver. This car will not have nitrous or forced induction. It has been recommended to get a UCA with spherical bearings and both LCA's with one end Poly Bushings and the other end Spherical Bearings. All of these control arms will be non-adjustable as I am not changing the height of the car. This car will not be lowered. The BMR rep is trying to talkme out of this set up. He says I should just go with Poly-Poly for the UCA and LCA's.He says this Poly-Poly set up is more than strong enough tostop tire hop and keep the noise down.

I would hate to spend my money and time on installing these and the recommendation for Poly-Poly not be strong enough. I will be doing my install.
Is poly-poly strong enough? Is poly-spherical really that loud? Also, I want the suspension stiff and I want the care feeling tight.Also, some noise is fine but I don't want to be driven out of the car.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension question for Crazy Al or any other suspension expert

I have to agree with the rep at BMR. From what you say you're using your car for, the spherical ends will not only produce a poor ride, but a noisy one too. Esp the UCA.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would tend to agree with BMR also...CrazyAl has stated many times they transfer a great deal of sound while adding a very stiffer feel. Maybe not poly-poly but they do have the combo, which is the best of both worlds. CrazyAl should answer soon enough with the correct answer though.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:17 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

you will REALLY hear and feel a UCA with a spherical bearing - or any other part for that matter.

never say never - go with adjustable poly/rod end lca's - that way if you lower it someday you're good to go, and while not harsh, you will get the occasional squeaky squeaky out of urethane bushings at both ends.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I strongly recommend getting either adjustable UCA or LCA. I don't plan on lowering my car either, but I do want a 1pc Driveshaft and an Adjustable UCA or LCA is needed to correct the pinion angle.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:49 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Here's the deal:

Strength-wise there is no real difference between the poly-poly and the combo (poly + rodend). So in that regard the BMR Rep is right: either one will be plenty strong for your needs and your HP levels.

Ultimatley it comes down to your choice. The Poly-spherical parts do transmit more road noise than the poly-poly parts do. However, the difference is not very much, and I think that most people won't object to the extra road noise. If you expect this car to be dead quiet for long cruises, (like Grandma's Cadillac) then don't buy the combo control arms. (In fact, don't buy ANY new control arms at all) But if you are willing to put up with a little extra road noise, then the combo type has a couple advantages:

First, they are stiffer so the suspension deflection is reduced.

Second, they provide better articulation, thanks to the freedom of the rod-end. This reduces binding in your suspension and allows it to track over bumps and other irregularities in the road better than a poly-poly setup can.

These factors mean that a combo setup provides better handling and traction than a poly-poly setup does. The cost, of course, is that the combo setup does transmit a little more road noise. However, if you wanta tight handling car, then the combo units are the way to go.

As a note, I think a lot of people overrate the noise of the rod-end parts. Seriously: How many people have tried both on their car for any length of time and compared between them? I have. And switching from poly-poly to combo was a minor increase in road noise but a significant increase in suspension tightness. The UCA espeically....since the diff-end UCA bushing is not commonly replaced, even if you do put a rod-end/spherical at the body end of the UCA, you still have a soft rubber factory bushing in that noisepath. My car is a DD and I have combo LCAs, UCA, and Panhard bar. I am even running the poly diff bushing....and I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
crusher66

Thanks alot for everybody's input. I want the best handling I can get.