Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

weird gas issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 AM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

Default weird gas issue

after having my new 07 gt for like 2-3 weeks (still stock at the time) ive been having this weird issue with the fuel tank. sometimes when i fill up my car the station's gas pump shuts off after only putting in around 4 to 5 gallons (tank has capacity of 15-16 gal?), and even if i attemp to continue filling the tank by manually squeezing the gas pump trigger thingy it still shuts off. so the car wont take any more gas and the fuel gauge reads less than half full, and as a result i have to refuel like 2-3 times a week, only putting in about 4 gallons each time. i originally thought that the gauge was messed up and reporting half a tank when i actually had a full tank, so even though it said the tank was completely empty i drove across town to the dealership where i got the car, and i explained my problem. Well they took it for a test drive after i dropped it off and afterwards told me that the engine died from no gas, so supposedly the fuel gauge was fine (looks like i was lucky to make it 20 miles to the dealership, cuz when i left my house the car was saying i had 0 miles to Empty lol). So they gave me back my car telling me the gauge was fine, but they are dumbasses cuz that still doesnt explain why i can only fit 4 gallons into a 15 gallon tank! Has anyone had similar problems or know a solution?

PS: to further complicate things, this whole problem doesnt ALWAYS happen to me when i refuel. sometimes the car will take a full tank and work fine, other times it only take a quarter to half a tank
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: weird gas issue

Its a fuel filler problem. If your dealership couldn't figure out that your Fuel filling problems are related to the TSB, they're idiots. The easy way to avoid this is to just turn the fuel nozzle upside down when you're filling, but if you do a search for fuel TSB it should come up.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Turn the nozzle upside down or fill it at the lowest speed. Our engineer recomended I try this on mine and I haven't had a problem since. Also it will depend on the station you use. Most Exxon/Mobile stations pump very fast.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

mine does this also...i took it to the dealership once about this and they turned the filler or something and it worked perfect till a couple of days ago...but i can feel the nozzle has a little bit more play inside than usual and if i push the handle towards my car it fills itup just fine but if i let it sit it will only fill up half way
Old 03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

We used to modify the filler neck a little by giving the tube less of an upward incline to go through. What is happening though is only the drivers side of the tank is filling up. the passenger still is empty. Thats why it shuts off after only 5-7 gallons of gas are put it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

sorry to hear your having this issue, my 97 ranger
did the same thing and it was indeed frustrating.
-
here's what the ford manual says about it:
-
-
For consistent results when filling the fuel tank:
• Turn the engine/ignition switch to the off position prior to refueling,
an error in the reading will result if the engine is left running.
Maintenance and Specifications
• The indicator may come on. For more information on the “Check
Engine†or the “Service engine soon†indicator, refer to Warning
lights and chimes in the Instrument Cluster chapter.
Maintenance and Specifications
• Use the same filling rate setting (low — medium — high) each time
the tank is filled.
• Allow no more than two automatic click-offs when filling.
• Always use fuel with the recommended octane rating.
• Use a known quality gasoline, preferably a national brand.
• Use the same side of the same pump and have the vehicle facing the
same direction each time you fill up.
• Have the vehicle loading and distribution the same every time.
Your results will be most accurate if your filling method is consistent.
-
-
-
-
-
btw, i have used costco,shell and chevron with no problems so far.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:42 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

thought they fixed that problem along time ago take it to the dealer they will fix kindait should be a tsb on it still. but i would recommend getting out the callender and scheduling in the day u have to fill up bcuz i had mine supposedly fixed and i still spend 15 20 minutes filling up from close to empty.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:12 PM
flounderlipps
2nd Gear Member

Turning the nozzle upside down works
You look like a Jack *** doing it, but it works
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

The same thing happens to me. All I do is not stick the nozzle all the way in then I can pump regularly. First I put the nozzle all the way in then pull it out about 1.5 inches then all is good.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
markj
1st Gear Member

It also helps to park the car dead level or, better yet, with the filler side pointing uphill. If you have the filler sloping downward the nozzle will keep clicking off.

Quick Reply: weird gas issue