Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5W 20 OIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:58 PM
godfather_go3
1st Gear Member

Default 5W 20 OIL

I did a google search titled "should I use 5w 20 oil, it took me to a site called "synlube" they had a very lengthy article on the oil, it started with one sentence, 5w 20 oil will give you 1% more gas mileage and 30% less engine life. Here in Texas with the hot weather I use 5w 30 and found that the dealer I purchased the 06 GT from also uses it even though it says use 5w 20 on the fill cap.Any thoughts on this......
Old 04-04-2007, 11:08 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 5W 20 OIL

as long as it's under warranty you're best to do what FoMoCo says
Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Once it breaks freezing, I plan to switch to 5w30. I live in ND, so it's still really cold. I can't imagine what problem would occur from running slightly thicker oil....especially in warm climates.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Here's the way I see it after thinking about this for a few years, LOL! If manufacturers recommend an oil such as 5W20 for "fuel economy" is must reduce friction. If an oil itself can improve fuel economy, it can only do it by 1)reducing friction or 2)increasing piston seal. A "thinner" oil, could possibly increase piston/cylinder sealing by getting to places that a "thicker" oil can't but more likely it reduces friction by the same manner.

Now if you're reducing friction to gain milage then you must be increasing Hp too, also by reducing friction. Thus synthetic oil's, such as RP,claim of increasing power also. I don't see how reducing friction can shorten an engines service life, especially not by 30%! Also if a "thinner oil" has greater "pumpability" on start up, it must reduce the initial friction at startup where most engine wear occurs.

So as I see it 5W20 = increased mileage which must = reduced friction which = increase power and = less wear.
Now, I'm no engineer but I do know what makes sense, and this seems to be the most logical conclusion I've come up with with my little brain. So I would say stick with the manufacturer's recommendations unless you have proof that "thicker oil" will be superior.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:05 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I wish there was some sound advice on this subject. I've read that Ford did it to increase gas mileage and i've read that the tight tolerances of the 3V requires a thinner oil.[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

As you can see i'm kinda mad about the whole thing. I'd like to know the truth so I can sue Ford when my engine dies prematurely.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:06 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If ford says use 5w20 then i will have no problem using it. Its not like they decided on this by discussing it with a homeless dude on the corner for 5 minutes or something
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the sound advice!

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Here's the way I see it after thinking about this for a few years, LOL! If manufacturers recommend an oil such as 5W20 for "fuel economy" is must reduce friction. If an oil itself can improve fuel economy, it can only do it by 1)reducing friction or 2)increasing piston seal. A "thinner" oil, could possibly increase piston/cylinder sealing by getting to places that a "thicker" oil can't but more likely it reduces friction by the same manner.

Now if you're reducing friction to gain milage then you must be increasing Hp too, also by reducing friction. Thus synthetic oil's, such as RP,claim of increasing power also. I don't see how reducing friction can shorten an engines service life, especially not by 30%! Also if a "thinner oil" has greater "pumpability" on start up, it must reduce the initial friction at startup where most engine wear occurs.

So as I see it 5W20 = increased mileage which must = reduced friction which = increase power and = less wear.
Now, I'm no engineer but I do know what makes sense, and this seems to be the most logical conclusion I've come up with with my little brain. So I would say stick with the manufacturer's recommendations unless you have proof that "thicker oil" will be superior.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 AM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I think next time I change oil I'm going to use (3) 5-30's and (3) 5-20's; Mobil 1 of course. What do ya think dumb or decent idea ?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:18 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

Just use redline 5w-20 it is the STONGEST 20weight available.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 AM
carockwell
1st Gear Member

Ford recommends 5-30 in other countries. 5-20 absolutely has been proved to be adequate. You can read all about it on www.bobistheoilguy.com. Also, I vote for Redline oil too.

Quick Reply: 5W 20 OIL