Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How dangerous is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How dangerous is it?

I have a friend whose 06 has 12k worth of damage from losing it at 120 - SAVE IT FOR THE TRACK!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Speedyejl
2nd Gear Member

Its terrible these cars get into the triple digits really fast. 4th gear can get you going ridiculously fast in a short amount of time. I've owned and driven "autobahn cruisers" before, Audis, BMWs, and this thing feels great compared to them at high speed and it gets going fast effortlessly.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I hit 135 last summer in my S-281 only because I was on the straightest, smoothest,most wide open stretch of country road (with no side roads intersecting) that I have ever seen in my life. It was so inviting I had to just open her up. It felt VERY solid and safe. The last thing on your mind at that point is the tires or anything else - all I focused on was the point up the road a mile or so where I determined it was time to let off.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Ive hand it up there a few times...my biggst problem was breaking(a bunch of noise on the front pssg wheel, and it just plain doesnt stop fast enough); a car w/ 300hp that get up there so fast should brake better then my mom's town car (and it doesnt)

ps- the steering wheel shaking can be do to the road...a nice smooth open road should be fine.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Bigbishjas
1st Gear Member

Before my suspension mods the car was very "squirlly" at around 120 nowsmooth as hell way beyond that speed. Completely different car now...and much more controlled. I wouldnt be going that fast with a stock suspension...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

Exactly...the suspension is the key (and tires of course). On stock suspension the car would feel "floaty" over 130mph. With my current set-up I run 150mph+ and she's solid as a rock. Hey, here's something I tried last Saturday. Short of having a GPS, if you have IUP display, you can have it on Avg MPH, keep hitting reset and it displays your current speed. There were some questions on another board about it working above 140mph. I had it display 152mph. I had to let up due to coming up on traffic. I'm going to try to get it to display 160mph next time if there's no traffic.

**Note: I'm in Germany, so this is on the autobahns were no speed limit is posted. I say that before the flames start coming...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Well, you won't get flamed for speeding in Germany - but playing with the display computer to try to get the average to say 160 - thats just silly [8D] Keep your hands and eyes on the road before you run up the *** end of a Sunday driver - all for theglorification of seening 160 on the IUP []
Old 04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
LanceH
2nd Gear Member

The car is rock solid at 145+ with the exception of the hood looking insane.
I only buried the speedometer once but had her in the 130's plenty of times.
Supposedly there is a speed limiter at 147-149 on the factorytune but other sites say the speed is only drag limited by our stock horsepower(and mine is stock).
Since I had the rear axle completely replaced due togear whineat only 3500 miles(and the car was at the dealer for a MONTH), I don't have much confidence in the car and haven't had it much past 100.
Here is a link to my original post on the subject:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2669493/tm.htm

Later,
Lance
Old 04-10-2007, 08:58 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

I took that spped limiter off with the tune. I have only taken the car a little above 140 mph. I probably wont do that again! It felt a little shakey mabye because I was close to SH**ing a brick... ! I loved it though. The car seems to fly smoothlyat top speeds surprisingly... It isnt too hard to keep control of the wheel. Like I said, it was probably my nerves taking over me making it harder to keep control... hahaha
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Haa anyone else ever looked down and been suprised by your speed? I caught myself doing 110 on I10 the other day, and I didn't even notice. Of course, after I noticed that I took it up to 138 and then realized I was being stupid.

~Fred

Quick Reply: How dangerous is it?