Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N aircharger without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:01 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: K&N aircharger without tune?

For anyone doubting the ability of a K&N CAI to perform, with a tune, there's definitely more power to be had. I got 299 RWHP and 314 RWTQ with one along with ARH long tubes w catted X pipe and Borla stingers on 87 octane gas. Stock headers with H pipe droppedtheRWHP by 17. The green line was with 3.55 gears and stock headers, the red graph was with 4.10's and ARH long tubes with catted X pipe.
While there is power to be had with the K&N CAI overthe stock intake, I changed over to a C&L CAI to improve breathing. I got a temporary canned tune and haven't dynotuned it yet so I don't know what the actual difference is with the new intake.There's little doubtdynotuning is a must to maximize power with any CAI.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38400/76F269387CD547D6851186B70752E662.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

hmmmm Shane - regarding my presumtions

I was CORRECT - you don't own an S197

I was CORRECT - you don't have dyno numbers to back up your mouth.

save your responses for the subjects you have real application knowledge of. and get rid of that tird LX
I don't need dyno numbersyou snappy little *****. I talk to at least 30 techs a day from over 5000 dealers in North America and help them fix problems you likelycouldn't begin to grasp. MY reports are what my engineers use to track common problems. (granted they do a **** job of taking care of them sometimes) But still - When you see car after car after car come in with lean codes - have NO lean contributors present - and then leave WITHOUT a lean condition after replacing a K & N or AIRAID or Autozone special filter........It's obvious that those filters are problematic. I SEE IT DAILY. So you can stick your little "you don't know what your are talking about" arguments up your sassy know-it-all ***.
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: THEY DON'T ALWAYS DO THIS.
THE ORIGINAL QUESTION WAS NOT ABOUT POWER GAINS. IT WAS ABOUT LEAN CONDITIONS
I refuse to get into some gay internet pissing contest with an ignorant ******* like yourself over something that YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. I don't tell you how to do your job, and you sure as hell wont tell me how I do mine.
I like the fact that someone actually provided some sort of proof to this argument rather than a boatload of poor rhetoric. However, the problem I have with the dyno numbers is listed in BoidMorphs post is:
I want to see a control.
Did they do the test run before orafter the control run?
Did they do a run with just a tune and not a filter?
How do you know that the (very slight) gains are from the filter and not from the "tune"?
Otherwise, at least this guy understands how to provide a good counter point, unlike yourself.

BTW, I would grasp at the opportunity to race you anywhere, anytime for any amount. My "turdy" LX does pretty well, thanks. But I wouldn't expect you to take MY work for it. IS YOUR CAR SLOW? Likely not. But you would be mistaken to assume that mine is as well......... BUT YOU AREN"T PRESUMTUOUS NOW ARE YOU??????? [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 04-14-2007, 01:33 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

shaners90lxhatch

You work for hotline?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I hate to answer a question with a question buddy, but what do you do?
I mean no insult to this question. However, I am pretty sure you work for Ford as well. I am not extremely eager to let everyone know EXACTLY what I do for one reason:
I like my job. I need my job and I really don't want to present a conflict of interest in regards to the information I provide here on the forum. I take great caution to keep all proprietary information out of my posts, but that doesn't mean that my boss or boss's boss wouldn't have a problem with me being on here........Hopefully they won't.........but.........you never know.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:02 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I called your car a tird - I made no claim as to it's level of performanece - so who is being presumptuous???????????????

I unlike you managed to keep vulgarity out of my responses

Here are YOUR words "For the price and the potential gain/loss - I think it's a wash.". you do NOT have dyno numbers to back up your claim as to it's peformance potential.

If I still had my dyno sheet I would gladly post it just to show you that you are WRONG and OUT OF LINE. I did not keep my dyno sheet because I really dont need concern myself with it forever. The parts are on, my car is tuned, we noted the results - moved on. I didn't need to keep it to brag about my blistering 294 rwhp lol. I had an 11hp increase with the intake only

I did not resort to name calling or vulgarity -YOU did

YOU said that filters that look the same aren't so - yet right here you throw 3 COMPLETELY different filters in the same genre. K&N and AirRaid have different media types - but you knew that right? How hypocritical is that?

regarding racing me - come to a NASA SoCal event - i'll pay for your transponder rental.

if you are an engineer, you should know by now 2 very important things

1. engineering is nothing more than calculated guesswork
2. a good engineer never stops learning
Old 04-14-2007, 02:09 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

[sm=bicker.gif]
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I called your car a tird - I made no claim as to it's level of performanece - so who is being presumptuous???????????????
Yeah - you're right. If I referred to a vehicle as a Tird or Turd, only a crazy person would take that as slow, or lacking performance.
I unlike you managed to keep vulgarity out of my responses
You also did a good job of keeping respect out of your posts
Here are YOUR words "For the price and the potential gain/loss - I think it's a wash.". you do NOT have dyno numbers to back up your claim as to it's peformance potential.
Potential gain in performance= why anyone would ever buy an aftermarket filter.
Potential loss = A $60 filter that causes trips to the dealer or unwarrantable repairs. Perhaps performance as well but my point was that they create more problems than they tend to solve. I would consider that an overall loss woudn't you?
If I still had my dyno sheet I would gladly post it just to show you that you are WRONG and OUT OF LINE. I did not keep my dyno sheet because I really dont need concern myself with it forever. The parts are on, my car is tuned, we noted the results - moved on. I didn't need to keep it to brag about my blistering 294 rwhp lol. I had an 11hp increase with the intake only
Will your dyno sheet show me your fuel corrections? Didn't think so. Will it prove that this filter causes like units to set lean codes? Didn't think so. Will it PROVE that there is a performance benefit. Perhaps, but that would be O T - refer to the original question.
I did not resort to name calling or vulgarity -YOU did
I feel in this case it is more effective at insulting someone rather than sarcastically questioning their knowledge. You obviously disagree.
YOU said that filters that look the same aren't so - yet right here you throw 3 COMPLETELY different filters in the same genre. K&N and AirRaid have different media types - but you knew that right? How hypocritical is that?
It actually isn't hypocritical at all. These are examples of filters known to create a problem. They don't necessarily all look the same and they aren't necessarily made of the same material.The one thing they have in common is that theycanbe a problem. Cartridge, cone - it doesn't matter. Some cause a problem - some may not. You are the one that decided to relate the "Shelby" filter to K & N. At no point did I attempt to make a blanket statement about filters.

regarding racing me - come to a NASA SoCal event - i'll pay for your transponder rental.
Next time I drive my car to San Diego, I will hit you up (seriously)
if you are an engineer, you should know by now 2 very important things
I don't have an engineering degree, but I would love for you to tell me how it is......
1. engineering is nothing more than calculated guesswork - That's a laugh! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]Obviously you don't have an engineering degree either!
2. a good engineer never stops learning - The only accurate thing you have typed so far
Got any other "accurate" reasons why I don't know what I am talking about?
Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I realize the original poster asked about lean conditions due to a K&N and I posted to say that, although I didn't have any codes thrown, the potential performance was missing. I don't have the original dyno run as a control and like many of us, more than one change is made between runs in order to be able to empirically say this mod gave this much of an increase and so forth. My purpose of posting the dyno charts was to show the potential of a given combination of mods which included the K&N. There is little doubt in my mind it has limitations but it definitelywas not useless in my application.
K&N advertises their product does not need a tune (which is what made me buy it). Although my car technically ran with no CEL or codes thrown,italso ran asthmatic.A dynotune made a world of difference in performance both on the dyno and in everyday driving conditions where it counts.