Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N aircharger without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default K&N aircharger without tune?

Does one of these make the car run to lean, even without an engine light coming on?????[sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old 04-11-2007, 07:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: K&N aircharger without tune?

In theory they add some HP without changing the a/f ratio enough to cause the CEL to come on. But to gain HP they would have to lean it out a little. I have also heard that some people do throw codes with the K&N anyway. And since they do not have a tuner they cant clear them.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I've never had a check engine light come on.I am pretty close to sea level here in SoCal. I don't know if FoMoCo changes the factory tune for different regions. If they don't I could see it throwing a code at higher altitude areas.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
brocksdad

My wifes car hasn't thrown any codes on her 07
Old 04-12-2007, 07:17 PM
BigIron22
1st Gear Member

the only timemy k&n intakethrew a code was when the tube slipped off of the throttle body. I got a to lean code and went into limp mode.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM
BoidMorphs
3rd Gear Member

I never had any issues with mine prior to being tuned. While the car will run with the K&N CAI installed alone, I can tell you there willbe much better response and it will be saferafter a tune, particularly at WOT.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Overall they do tend to set lean codes. Thiscan make it run lean in really bad cases. Usually it willrun rich because the code means that the computer has reached the limit of it's ability to control the fuel ratio. Basically it says "uhh, yeah. I can't add more fuel and stay emission compliant....." You can still be in closed loop, but the code just means that it had to add more than a certain percentage to maintain control.
Theairfilter just doesn't allow the MAF to be accurate, HOWEVER - they obviously can be made to work. I have seen vehicles that had no problem whatsoever except for the filter. No contamination on the sensor, no leaks, no obstructions, no junk in the filter - nothing. I don't know what happens when they become a problem, all I know is that they are a problem in many cases. For the price and the potential gain/loss - I think it's a wash.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

so does that mean FoMoCo is going to take their conical mesh filters off all the Shelby's - please

Shane - do you OWN an S197 yet? do you have day in and day out REAL driving experience and dyno numbers with one? or do you only have the 5 mile dealer tech test drives for seat time?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I've never had a check engine light come on.I am pretty close to sea level here in SoCal. I don't know if FoMoCo changes the factory tune for different regions. If they don't I could see it throwing a code at higher altitude areas.
The BARO sensors MHZ will change with the different altitudes to compesate.
With the new style MAF sensors any more air flow pass the sensor usually will set a code. Thats why if you look at the K&N or S&B intakes, the tubing around the sensors gets pretty small. I think the gains from these aren't too great.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:13 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

the gains aren't as signifigant as others, but it is noticeable and in my case dyno proven for 11hp at the wheels

Quick Reply: K&N aircharger without tune?