Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger and daily driving question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger and daily driving question

Perdi/TJ, you guys are speaking of replacing the fuel pump as opposed to going with a boost a pump upgrade that comes with the supercharger???

Can you briefly fill me in on the differences??
Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Perdi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aclass

Perdi/TJ, you guys are speaking of replacing the fuel pump as opposed to going with a boost a pump upgrade that comes with the supercharger???

Can you briefly fill me in on the differences??
Yes I'm talking about the Dual GT500 Fuel Pump Set up... not a boost-a-pump...I wasn't aware that there was a kit that included the boost-a-pump... If there is thats cool, I would imagine that it is an aftermarket place that has/is offering it as a package... The Dual GT500 has just recently become available...The guy that tuned my car has done several Saleen installs/tunes along with the boost-a-pump, I was the first he did with the GT500 pumps, and he was amazed at how much better the readings were on the GT500 setup... A perfect flat line thru all RPM ranges, and the pumps were only at (I believe) 66% of their capacity...so really not working hard at all to keep up with the fuel demand. Whereas with the Boost -a-pumps he had done they were waivering in the upper RPM ranges to keep up with the fuel demand.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM
SME

Ok guys, I agree that a checking the A/F ratio on the dyno is a good thing to do. However, I my case assuming for the moment that I'm ok in that area, I understand that installing another (different) tune will void the Saleen/Factory warranty I currently have.

BTW, what is a good air/fuel ratio to shoot for under max boost? 12.0-12.5:1?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Carwas at 480 rwhp with the procharger 39 lb injectors and piggyback pumps. Then as we increased the rpm range above 6000, it started to run lean (producing 14 lb at 6300). The 60 lb injs and GT500 system cured that problemwith 12 a/f ratio all the way. Still with stock internals, I am schedule for a mustang dyno tune saturday (instead of dynojet), to get a second opinion and maybe even tone it down a little for right now.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SME

Ok guys, I agree that a checking the A/F ratio on the dyno is a good thing to do. However, I my case assuming for the moment that I'm ok in that area, I understand that installing another (different) tune will void the Saleen/Factory warranty I currently have.

BTW, what is a good air/fuel ratio to shoot for under max boost? 12.0-12.5:1?
actually the best A/F is a little more conservative than that...12.0-12.5 is fine...but it is on the border of KABOOM....under 12.0 is the better to be safe A/F Ratio... Now...PLEASE do not assume you are fine because your PCM was reflashed by Saleen. Saleens tunes have run on the lean side. so get it checked to be sure..and still even though yours was installed by a Ford Dealer and Saleen claims they will back it up...if you throw a rod and it is found be due to the SC good luck in having Saleen pay for a new block....they will claim it and if it is in writing you have all the LEGAL mumbo jumbo taken care of...however...they will fight ya...i guarantee ya....good luck though...TJ
Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Good info TJ, I appreciate all your good help on this issue. Also, just read your new post about throwing the codes. This is what scares me about the S/C. Hope it works out for you and it's a simple fix, I'll be checking to see what you find out.

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

You guys that have the Saleen and KB units, what rpm are you making the big HP numbers at?? if you're around mid 400 at 6000 or 6500rpm what is your HP at say 4500 to 5500??
allot of times your car will peak at around 5250 ..that is where torque and HP meet. Hp will generally go up a little more after 5250, but not allot more. it also depends on your tune> I will post tomorrow what my car hits officially....
the tune issue is just that...a simple tune issue..basically some of our cars throw fits when a tune asks for the Traction control to be turned off..now many have argued and thrown up the BS card but I know of 3 others that have had the same issue with VSS (Vehicle sensor speed) Codes or p061b: That a tuner puts in shut it off and the PCM does not like it so it shuts the engine down to protect the engine and tranny as a reaction. but I know it will be fine. I plan to bring my car to vmp Tuning anyhow for a custom dyno tune, but I am awaiting appt. confirmation and also to see what JDM is going to do about the 2 faulty tunes. I know they have a good tune, because they emailed a new tune to my installer a couple weeks back (thats what I riding with now) and its fine...does not have the torque in the lower gears as I like, but its still fine...just want to see if JDM can fix the 2 tunes they sent me in my tuner...I was just glad to see it was not my home PC when I downloaded the tunes 3 weeks ago and had these issues> It will be fine as I am driving her now like a bat out of hell...just awaiting resolution from the tunes that are useless now..
Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 PM
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

How could you not drive this every day??

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/217F773DA8CE4A80B811B271D699855B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-17-2007, 08:09 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

I have a factory supercharged Saleen S281 with the Saleen 475hp upgrade. It is not my daily driver, but I believe it could be one without a problem. If you go light on the throttle, the boost never comes in. But when you want it, the power is unreal. I have about 6k miles on it (including a recent high-speed 500-mile roundtrip run to Vegas) and have had no problems to date.

As for warranties, if you have a Saleen authorized Ford dealer install the Saleen supercharger, all your Ford warranties stay intact and Saleen warranties the parts in its supercharger kit. Saleen recently announced it will warranty its 475hp upgrade as well (theydid not originally offer the warranty for the first year the kit was available).

If you don't care about your warranty, the other Saleen owners I've heard from all rave about JDM. The JDM folks can get you to 450rwhp (as much as you can go onthe stock 4.6 engine without getting forged internals), but that will throw your warranty out the window if you have an engine failure due to their setup. That being said, I've never heard of anyone blowing an engine with the Saleen supercharger and the JDM 450rwhp setup.

As for A/F ratios, I have heard 11.8 is optimal for a supercharged engine.But from what I've seen, anything in the 11.5 to 12.5 is safe, so long as your boost is not out of control (i.e. not pushing 10psi or more).

Get a supercharger and go at it.