Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What's Your Boost Gauge Reading?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What's Your Boost Gauge Reading?

You do understand that it isn't an exact science, right? Just because you have a 3.4" pulley doesn't mean you are going to get exactly 9.5 lbs of boost. Oh, and for a 3.4" pulley you should be running a 107.5" belt. Or at least everyone I know running a 3.4" pulley is running a 107.5" belt. And yes, that extra .5" will actually cause some belt slippage under load.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Screamin Yellow 06
1st Gear Member

Yup, understood.

I verified that the blower pulley is in fact 3.4" and the stop bolt is adjusted properly. I actually screwed it in another 1/4 turn and it started to give some resistance like it's approaching the bottom of the tapped hole so I didn't push it any further.

The car runs great but it just bugs me that I am either losing a couple psi somewhere or I have the potential somewhere to gain a couple psi.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Might be a stupid question... Have you verified the guage against a known source of pressure? Sometimes guages are off a bit from the factory.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Might be a stupid question... Have you verified the guage against a known source of pressure? Sometimes guages are off a bit from the factory.
Very possible. Where do you have the gauge tapped into for a vacuum line?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:13 PM
SME

This is for the Saleen guys. What pulley was provided with your kit? Jorge Lopez from Saleen Technical said that the 475 hp kit comes with a 3.87" pulley. Did any of you specify smaller pulleys with your kit? All of your max psi is a lot more that mine.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SME

This is for the Saleen guys. What pulley was provided with your kit? Jorge Lopez from Saleen Technical said that the 475 hp kit comes with a 3.87" pulley. Did any of you specify smaller pulleys with your kit? All of your max psi is a lot more that mine.
yes. I had a 3.80 pulley and switched to a 3.6 pulley..
Old 04-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Screamin Yellow 06
1st Gear Member

I tapped the vac line that goes to the fuel pressure sensor.

I talke to Saleen to and found something out I didn't know. Saleen only makes two pulley sizes. 4.0 and 3.8. All the smaller ones are made by other people. He told me to talk to JDM if I am having boost issues with my 3.4 since they made it (or had it made).

The base saleen blower comes with a 4.0. The Saleen upgrade comes with the 3.8. My 3.4 came from JDM.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:59 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

I've just seen people that have tapped into the A/C vacuum line and wonder why the boost is so low. We deal with JDM at my work and they should be able to help.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 AM
SME

Another pulley question, how are the pulley sizesmeasured? I measure 4-9/32"across the face of the pulley. I was careful not to take the belt into account. Thereseem to be no size markings on the pulley.I'm supposed to have the 475 hp kit.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 AM
SME

Well one thing has lead to another. I decided to rumage through the Saleen box that contained the take off parts and low and behold what do I find, the 3.8 pulley that came with the upgrade kit. For some reason the correct pulley was not installed. No wonder my boost was lower than expected.
I might not have even begin to look if you guys hadn't taked about the boost pressures you were running.

Quick Reply: What's Your Boost Gauge Reading?