Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Carbon buildup on exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:09 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Default Carbon buildup on exhaust

Anybody noticing a pretty substantial carbon buildup on their exhaust? I installed my Borla Stingers about 5 or6 months ago and haven't cleaned them at all. I was thinking it was nothing more than a residue on the inside bottom part of the tips, but it's not coming off easy. Is this normal? Gasoline in AZ is all up to 10% ethanol, and I'm not sure whether ethanol burns into carbon in the cats or something like that which might cause the issue.

Is there a particular cleaner or method to keep them clean? Is steel wool a bad idea? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Carbon buildup on exhaust

I'd like to know what to use to clean mine also. It's not the ethanol, because I use the same gas without ethanol all the time and mine are black too.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

I asked this question in the detail section and got some good replies. I also have the Borla's and know exactly what you are looking at. I think it's just the rolled tip that collects the carbon from the exhaust. If you feel the tip, the roll goes into the pipe and stops. That lip catches alot of heat and grime that collects on the outside of the tip.
Go buy some Never Dull. This will take the grime off your tips and then I use Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner to get the mirror finish.
Steel wool is a BAD IDEA!! You will scratch the **** out of your tips.
Good luck.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:08 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I use a little bit of that quick detailer spray on the cold exhaust every 2-3 weeks to get rid of that deposit. Not good enough for a car show, but good enough for every day driving and keeping things under control :-)
Old 04-18-2007, 05:24 PM
cantwin1
1st Gear Member

I used some generic silver polish I have. Now at the car wash once a week I hit it with a wet rag while washing, dry it, and go over it with quick detailer, done! Seems alot less sticks to it since I put the polish on.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

First I thought it was running rich......then I find out this is normal. Clean it off and it comes back within a day or two.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:40 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

Being stainless steel, I'm surprised to hear that steel wool would damage it. I'd think stainless steel is a stronger metal than what steel wool is comprised of.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

Stainless doesn't mean it won't scratch. I actually have some small scratches on my pipes.
You can try the wool. Let me know how it turns out, but I definitely would try a cleaner first. If it's bad enough you need to scrub with wool then something is wrong.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
FuriousGeorge
2nd Gear Member

I'd rather take your advice and be safe rather than sorry when the inside of my exhaust is scored all to hell.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:43 PM
StangPilot
1st Gear Member

I use the cleaner on mine about every 2nd - 3rd wash.

Quick Reply: Carbon buildup on exhaust