Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone with tune only (no CAI)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:04 PM
ezio350
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone with tune only (no CAI)?

both combine is the way to go. I installed the CAI first (No tune required) and yes it makes a huge difference just the CAI alone. Adding a tune is like adding a good topping to your icecream. haaahaaaa
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

I'm not saying one way is better or not. If Gunk is the big reason you shy from a CAI, then just be aware that AEM makes a CAI with a filter that is not oiled. It's called the Brute Force. Alot of the Chevy Colorado guys run them because the MAF's on them are stupidly sensitive to gunk and most of the oiled filters were fouling them. I run one on my Colorado and the quality of the system is top notch. Can't say how it is on a Mustang tho.

Just something for ya to chew on.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I am running a 91 octaneBrenspeed tune with no CAI. I originally ordered the tuner with the C&L street intake, but took the intake off primarily because of some of the same concerns you have about the filter lettingin too muchdust and the filter oil. Between the two I noticed that the low end throttle response is a little better with the stock intake, the top end pull is a little better with the C&L. However, for me the minimal powergain was not worth the threat of an engine full of fine dust and sand that got by the C&L filter. Also, there were two things to me that clinched the deal in taking off the C&L: One was the air filter filtration review on www.bobistheoilguy.com and the fact that my friends supercharged Saleen came from the factory with the stock airbox. If the stock intake flows enough for the Saleen supercharger, then it should have plenty of capacity for the stock setup.

Blair
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

wait, i thought the point of getting a tune was to tune the car to respond properly to the new air intake system... what would you tune if you just bought the hand held device? how would just a tune help the car?(serious question.... no sarcasm)
Old 04-23-2007, 10:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=16964
Old 04-23-2007, 11:23 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

ORIGINAL: richmod

It aint all about cost. I'm not necessarily convinced that the CAI adds much. Some have said that the tune makes the majority of the difference. I'm also not crazy about the possibilty of oiled filters gunking up the throttle body over time, as well as not filtering as well as well as the stock paper filter. So, if a tune only can get rid of thottle lag, I may just go that route. I'm not racing, this is my daily driver.
Experts opinion > your opinion. Sry but thats the way it is, they're good when combined, they don't perform as well by theirself. It's not only the paper filter being replaced, the tube also has a larger diameter = more airflow therefore a tune is required.
experts like the guys who produce the stuff? i dont think so,

ive never seen a new car dyno with just a CAI or just a tune, i know on the old ones, you would get a whopign 1 HP from a CAI and crisper throttle response, seeing as its a fancy tube with a big filter, its probably about the same on the new ones but have never really seen one dyno
Old 04-23-2007, 11:32 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

I'm not saying one way is better or not. If Gunk is the big reason you shy from a CAI, then just be aware that AEM makes a CAI with a filter that is not oiled. It's called the Brute Force. Alot of the Chevy Colorado guys run them because the MAF's on them are stupidly sensitive to gunk and most of the oiled filters were fouling them. I run one on my Colorado and the quality of the system is top notch. Can't say how it is on a Mustang tho.

Just something for ya to chew on.
That's the best solution. You can also purchase the AEM Dryflow filters seperately. Changing the filter does not require you to change your tune. You just need to make sure it fits. I'm using one on my Steeda intake. They do flow less than the cotton filters, but they are also better at collecting dirt and don't require oil.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

That's the best solution. You can also purchase the AEM Dryflow filters seperately. Changing the filter does not require you to change your tune. You just need to make sure it fits. I'm using one on my Steeda intake. They do flow less than the cotton filters, but they are also better at collecting dirt and don't require oil.
How much is a DryFlow filter for a JLT or C&L CAI? Checked their website and couldn't find that info.

Also, did you notice any difference in performance when you switched from oiled to DryFlow on your Steeda CAI?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
sybidoc

On a 05, 5M, I dyno'd 264HP and 280TQ stock. With just the canned Predator 87 tune, and the stock air box and filter, it turned 279 HP and 301 TQ. I think most of the gains are due to the tune and just a little due to the intake. I know I can take a new WRX STI, from a dig at a light, did it pretty easy.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM
gconnsr
2nd Gear Member

Personally, I think the cold air intakesI have seen are a joke! Your factory box has a very good seal to keep out engine heat, the seal on the cai is garbage. Engine heat getting sucked into your intake will slow your car down, not speed it up. I put the ram air shaker kit on mine, it taps into the factory box and comes with a high flow filter. I noticed more HPs and top end as soon as I put it on. No tune! I'm pretty sure I'm getting more, and cooler air into the engine than any cai kit! I added flowmasters after that, and again I felt another power gain. My next move is to put the 3.73 in and get rid of the converters, then I will buy a tuner. Don't jump on the bandwagon just because everyone else is, read up on ram air, blowers, turbos, N2o, and air density before you waste your hard earned money. I'm sure its the tune that makes the diff. not the cai. Thats why they push the tuner with the cai. Your car was set to run lean and the timing was retarded from the factory to pass emissions, the tuner advances the timing and rich-ens the fuel, thats where you get the HPs. To say there is hardly a change when you do the tune with-out the cai is a joke, it's just the opposite!

Quick Reply: Anyone with tune only (no CAI)?