Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

getting cold feet

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: getting cold feet

Actually, I considered the GTO and probably would have bought one even though I didn't like the styling (from the front, they aren't too bad). I was a GM guy (nothing but GMs since 1979). But my local dealer wouldn't go much below MSRPeven though they weren't selling worth a crap. I think he just wanted to keep a couple on the lot for some reason. Anyway, as the time for me to decide approached, I found out that GM was ditching the GTO. That sealed it for me. The GTO didn't sell very many cars and now it was out of production. I knew that the future support and availability of add-ons and accessories would be sparse. Even if itdoesn't have the brute power (stock) of the GTO, the 07 Mustangdoes have the following advantages (as I see it):

Fantastic retro styling (versus mostly crappy GTO styling)
Vastly superioravailability of factory and aftermarket add-ons
Big seller so better maintenance support
Fantastic retro styling
Better gas mileage (25vice 20 hwy)
Built mostly in US vice Australia (important to me, anyway)
07 = new car, 06 GTO = used
Fantastic retro styling

Even before I bought my Mustang (and remember, I am not a Ford guy), the styling of the car would just jump out at me. Every time I saw one, I couldn't help but stare. If a GTO passes me by, it probably wouldn't even register among all the other similar body styles (mid to large-size so and so's). IMO, it's a no brainer which to choose.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Pretty much the same position as Lee stated up above.
I almost bought a GT 3-4 years ago, but opted for a Grand Cherokee instead (mainly the wife's vehicle; yes it's a POS but I know she's safe in it and she won't be setting any land speed records with it either).
Been a GM guy all my life and even though I instantly fell in love with the S197 styling when I first saw pictures of it in a magazine round about 2003, when I was looking last year I tried like hell to find something OTHER than a Ford in the same price/perfomance/features bracket and nothing compared.
I liked the Charger but it's four-doors and honking big.
The Challenger is still another year+ off.
The Camaro is also another year+ off and to be honest, I can't stand the thing (and I still have dreams of my old '69 RS).
The Monte Carlo just didn't have the 'umpf' (though I read they're putting a 5.3L in it now and have beefed up the suspension).
The GTO looks almost exactly like my9 year-oldcommuter/beater Cavalier (possible 'sleeper' potential but again - four doors).
As far as imports, I figured this may very well be the last gasp of the great American auto industry and I might as well get a piece now.
If you're getting cold feet about getting a Mustang vs. a GTO, my advice would be to put some socks on and pull the trigger on a Mustang.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:01 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Mustang all the way. I didn't even look at any other car.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:50 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

The GTO looks almost exactly like my9 year-oldcommuter/beater Cavalier (possible 'sleeper' potential but again - four doors).
GTO's are 2 doors.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

You're gonna buy a actual never discontinued legend(okay the Mustang II years were questionable[:@]), with tons of aftermarket support, instant recognition and(for an American car) decent resale value(just in case you should decide to sell). Against what? Look around, where's your nearest Ponitac dealership? What happens when a rear suspension piece goes bad on a GTO? A part shipped from Australia? I hope you dig rental cars[8D]
Old 04-29-2007, 04:01 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

You wont regret getting the stang. I also first looked at a 06 GTO (cuz of his engine mostly) muy meh, mustang got my heart ! Besides theres plenty of mods to do to the 3V 4.6 !!
Old 04-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

Backlash a few quick points.

1. If you buy the GTO, the first time someone says "Nice Grand-Am" it'll be tough not to cry...
2.There are many more aftermarket parts available for the Mustang
3. I think they're gonna stop building GTO's this year? I could be wrong though... if I'm not, why invest in a vehicle that's on death row

Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

are you gonna go to a gto board and have them convince you to buy a gto over the stang?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:18 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

1st. If u want a faster car then get the 6.0 ls2. stock vs stock it will be quicker, I wouldnt settle for the 5.7 GTO though.
2nd.I dont know you so, you could drive a Civic SI for all I care
Old 04-29-2007, 09:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i wish i knew what this means, because it looks
like it has the potential of being hillarious

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

If you're getting cold feet about getting a Mustang vs. a GTO, my advice would be to put some socks on and pull the trigger on a Mustang.

Quick Reply: getting cold feet