Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

for those with a centrifugal blower.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:08 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default for those with a centrifugal blower.....

hows the bottom end power? from stuff i've been reading, they're a little lacking in low end torque. the one thing that would stop me from considering a centri is that; i need power all over. how bad is it? can someone enlighten me as to how the torque curve is with a centri?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: for those with a centrifugal blower.....

You're right about the bottom end. I have a centri. There is no significant boost until about 3800 rpms and that's exactly why I chose it. It's my daily driver and don't want to race from light to light. I wanted the GT to retain its normal city driving characteristics. I also get great gas mileage. At the track, it's a mute point, since launch rpms exceed the threshold for major boost. The 4.11 gears also help the rpms climb.

You have to watch though with a centri like the Procharger. Although it's rated at 10 lbs, over 6000 rpm it will just keep making more and more boost. During dynotuning it showed 14 lbs at 6400 rpm. If you don't have enough juice to match the boost, you can run lean.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

You're right about the bottom end. I have a centri. There is no significant boost until about 3800 rpms and that's exactly why I chose it. It's my daily driver and don't want to race from light to light. I wanted the GT to retain its normal city driving characteristics. I also get great gas mileage. At the track, it's a mute point, since launch rpms exceed the threshold for major boost. The 4.11 gears also help the rpms climb.

You have to watch though with a centri like the Procharger. Although it's rated at 10 lbs, over 6000 rpm it will just keep making more and more boost. During dynotuning it showed 14 lbs at 6400 rpm. If you don't have enough juice to match the boost, you can run lean.
a saleen twin screw is great in a daily drive as well..it will not race from light to light, unless you want it to.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

How is the pull on the bottom end? Is it like a turbo car where its nothing nothing then boom crazy acceleration? Or is it more gradual?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:07 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

nothing nothing then boom crazy acceleration
It's sort of like that, just around 3600-4000, it's like a big kick, although 3-5 lbs of boost is made at lower rpms. A mate of mine has a KB, also a twin-screw, if you want instant boost that seems to be the way to go. It's a trade off....seems like you can't have it both ways. As mentioned above, any of them would make a good daily. After 6000 miles, you get to be one with the s/c and know how to get the most out of it...must be the same with any model.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

Traction.

I mean there is really no point in getting all that power down low if you can't put it to the ground, you'll just sit there spinning.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Traction

Absolutely. You get beyond a certain rwhp and you're spinning your wheels for street use.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

Traction

Absolutely. You get beyond a certain rwhp and you're spinning your wheels for street use.
You got some impressive modes, what do u run in the 1/4?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

baha

That's the $64,000 question. It was running high 11s before the Currie, 4.11 gears, spec clutch, short shift etc etc etc went in. Then as we creeped up with the rpms, we started to have fuel problems (running lean). The boost level above 10 was exceeding the 39 lb injectors and pump that came with the s/c unit...so we went to larger injectors 60 lbs and the GT500 dual pump sys. Then car just wasn't running well...seemed to die in 3rd gear. Right nowit seems strong. We've gone down a tad with the rwhp 458 (mustang dyno) to keep things up frontin one piece. We did a simulated 1/4 on the mustang dyno of 11.37 and had to go to 5th gear to finish the run (wrong rear tires)two saturdays ago. Had a crowd of people watching. Many saidthe sprint runwas accurate within a tenth or two of what they did at the track. I'm not so sure.So with the right diameter slicks (MT ET Street) to finish in 4th and the full manual auto (no more clutch, no more missed gears)...theoretically should be mid to low 11s...but as we all know reality can be quite different from theory. Won't go back to track until new transmission is installed, since the whole transmission in the car right now, doesn't belong to me anymore.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:32 AM
baha
3rd Gear Member

baha

That's the $64,000 question. It was running high 11s before the Currie, 4.11 gears, spec clutch, short shift etc etc etc went in. Then as we creeped up with the rpms, we started to have fuel problems (running lean). The boost level above 10 was exceeding the 39 lb injectors and pump that came with the s/c unit...so we went to larger injectors 60 lbs and the GT500 dual pump sys. Then car just wasn't running well...seemed to die in 3rd gear. Right nowit seems strong. We've gone down a tad with the rwhp 458 (mustang dyno) to keep things up frontin one piece. We did a simulated 1/4 on the mustang dyno of 11.37 and had to go to 5th gear to finish the run (wrong rear tires)two saturdays ago. Had a crowd of people watching. Many saidthe sprint runwas accurate within a tenth or two of what they did at the track. I'm not so sure.So with the right diameter slicks (MT ET Street) to finish in 4th and the full manual auto (no more clutch, no more missed gears)...theoretically should be mid to low 11s...but as we all know reality can be quite different from theory. Won't go back to track until new transmission is installed, since the whole transmission in the car right now, doesn't belong to me anymore.
God willing, you will break into the 10s!
Good luck

Quick Reply: for those with a centrifugal blower.....